Why are they difficult to find?

The Nihon Ken breeders outside of Japan are scarce. They are rare compared to more mainstream dog breeders of Labradors, German Shepherd Dogs, Golden Retrievers, Boxers, Dalmatians, etc. Akitas and Shibas seems to be the NK that are the most common. The other four I am writing about: Shikoku, Kishu, and Kai Ken do have breeders in America However, why is the Hokkaido seem to the one that that is most scarce of breeders here outside Japan?

The NK breeders want to preserve their breeding tradition. I have great respect to people who want to preserve their tradition (it is a case by case basis because things like the Tosa Inu dog fights is something I really won't respect as tradition). However, the Ainu (It's funny that this is the preferred name by the Japanese while the bilingual Ainu Dog Museum also uses "Hokkaido" in the English language parts) seems to be the one that is very diffucult. The Ainu Dog Museum even says that Japanese pet shops have difficulty finding them.

Final point: From my observations, Shibas are the most popular NK while Akitas are the most revered NK while Hokkaido are the rarest. With Hachiko and the history of the Akita being belonging only to the elite feudal Japanese class, I think the Akita should be the rarest to get. Compared to the aforementioned mainstream breeds, Akitas are very rare breeds. Of course, NK imported directly from Japan should be more expensive because their deemed National Monuments.

Comments

• I think with the Akita, it depends on what type (since there are two) you are talking about. The American Akita is easy to get and very popular, but the Japanese Akita (Akita Inu) is a lot harder to get and not as well known.
  • I did mean the Akita Inu. However, even that has essentially two varieties: Japanese-raised purebreds (ones that you import that are breed by the Japanese) done with native breeding traits and the purebreds done by non-Japanese people or groups that would be their own traits oractually using the Japanese traits or a combo. It's like this: Akita Inu bred with the American traits for them compared to Akita Inu bred by Americans using the Japanese traits or a mix of both.
  • aykayk
    edited January 2011
    edit: Nevermind what I wrote before.

• As another point, by the numbers, I believe the Shikoku is the most rare of the NK. Not the Hokkaido.
  • Why are they difficult to find? Because they are rare breeds even in their native country, and the number of people that actually know about these breeds worldwide is very small.

Here are the yearly registration numbers for NK in Japan at present.

Shiba 50,000-60,000
    Akita (Japanese) 2000-2500
    Kai 900-1100
    Hokkaido 900-1000
    Kishu 700-900
    Shikoku 300-400

The only NK you will find with regularity in pet shops is the Shiba. Recently Hokkaido have gained popularity due to a series of commercials featuring a white Hokkaido named Otousan, and I have seen several in pet shops.
  • I love those commercials.
  • I dont like those commercials since it makes me look like im just jumping on the bandwagon. I wanted a white hokka before i knew about those commericals damnit! :P
  • I think also, why you don't see so much about Hokkaido outside of Japan is (to me at least) that they don't really 'stand out' as much as the other breeds. I'm talking more along the line of first appearances, like when you find a picture on the web or happen to meet one. Most people go by looks before investing the time to learn more about any breed. Shiba/akita are popular to begin with and almost everywhere (at last the AA, the JA seems so much harder to 'meet'), Kai have their amazing brindle, & Shikoku are just fascinating to look at. I think Kishu would also be in the same boat as Hokka had they not remained a popular hunting dog.

To people who don't know the breed, any pictures/video of them makes them think that Hokka are over sized shibas. I remember when we first posted those commercials on the forum and many at first thought he was an odd looking cream shiba.
  • All valid point. I could be using the word wrong, but "irony" comes to mind that Shikokus have fewer registered numbers than Hokkaido yet the latter has fewer breeders than the former.
  • Some of Dads friends in Hokkaido still hunts with the Ainu ken and they have done so for a while. I think thats how my Dad got the original Taro (our family male dog name) long time ago. I really like them for their strong headed nature and high prey drive.
  • I know I am jumping on this thread really late in the game but maybe someone will read it. I have doing some research and some of the top Hokkaido breeders only want their pups to go to a hunting home. Either bear in Hokkaido or they send them down to Honshu to hunt boar.
  • @jeffnkazuko - Shigeru ( @TheWalrus ) and I have been researching Hokka for awhile now, looking specifically for bear-aggressive examples of the breed. As far as we have seen, there are no kennels producing bear-hunting Hokka anymore... Have you found some? We'd be interested to know their names. Most of the bear hunters use Kishu now.
  • @brada1878 I have been doing some looking around and there still are some people hunting bear with the Hokkaido. I will try to get more information but I did see a message posted by a breeder saying he wanted his dogs to go to a hunting home.

bear3
  • Tough dog.. Too bad not many hokkaido are being used on bear. :\

I'd love to have one day , but dunno if I'd do hunting.. maybe agility, tracking, retrieving plus hiking depends on what the pup likes to do. No bears in IN I don't think.. hehe
  • @jeffnkazuko - Cool! Keep us posted. I appreciate it. It would be for a working home so that shouldn't be an issue, btw.
  • edited March 2012
    I will also look in some of my books an ask my dad, I know there are still working kennels producing pups.
  • Awesome, thanks @shishiinu!
  • That's prettty bad ass. Even Mei is scared of bears. She won't go near them and hides next to me when she smells one at the Tahoe house. I've even watched her cower to one that was 50 feet away.
  • @brada1878-- a hokka and wsl working A bear. That sounds awesoe. Fingers crossed for u.
  • I am hoping to be able to go up to Hokkaido in September to visit a few kennels and maybe even organize a dog for myself. I am planning to move to Canada by years end and am hoping to bring a pup/dog/bitch back with me.
  • edited March 2012
    Bring back more than 1! I know of about 10 people in the states who want Hokkaido.
  • Oh! Oh! Me, too.
  • Can I get a raincheck on a hokka? Lol
  • Hope you find some nice dogs up there.
  • Definitely not Bear but I wouldn't be opposed to taking in a Hokka to run on Boar given the space in the near future. Good luck!
  • so how does bear hunting with nihonken work?
    does it require a pack of them to find and tree/corner a bear until the hunter can come and shoot it?
  • No need for a pack. The reason why there is a pack of hounds is for enjoyment of the hunt. People have treed bears with only a Karelian Bear Dog, a Russo-European Laika or Australian Cattle Dog mix.
  • Good question. I was writing a story that had some NK-type dogs in it and there was a brief hunting scene, and I wasn't sure how they did it either. I had a few dogs (not a whole pack) hold the bear at bay for the hunter to shoot, but wasn't sure if that was how it really worked. It's not a realist story--it's fantasy in place that has a vague feel of medieval Japan, and this is not the biggest plot point--but I do like to have details be somewhat "realistic" even in fantasy, so I also wondered.