My girl is a mutant!

edited December 2010 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
So I had her over with me at a friend's house, and as she was sleeping on my lap I was feeling her paws. I noticed that not only does she have small rear dew claws, but she also has an extra dew claw on the outside of both her front paws. All these dew claws are so small that they are hidden beneath her fur. Gonna have to take some pictures when she settles down now that we are home. Was wondering if anyone has heard of this happening in the breed?

Also if I should consider having them removed if it looks like they may be a problem?

Comments

• On the outside? Yes we need pics.

If you're going to remove it do it when she gets spayed.
  • Fuji had an extra set of claws. She was an Akita, but still.
  • Just called my friend Sara her Shibas front dews were on the outside too. Hers happened to be a deformation. The claws were growing inward instead of outward. They were like little bumps.

It was a fluke though. I don't think it's common at all. I wouldn't worry about that. But she had them.
  • Not really the best pics, but shows the gist of what I'm talking about. The front paw is hard to get a pic that doesn't make it look like the inner dewclaw of the opposite paw.

This first one shows the outer dewclaw of the top paw, and inner dewclaw of the bottom paw
    Another of the front paw
    And one of the back foot

The back one isn't a major concern for me as it is so small that the should prevent them from getting caught on anything. I'm a bit concerned about the front outer ones, as they are on the outside and dangle a bit so may have a better chance of getting caught on something.
  • She has double dews on the front??? Get them removed, especially the rears. I know some people do not remove rears if they are attached (by bone, like an actual didget, not just hanging from skin), but most are just loosley attached, and at great risk of catching and ripping on things. If you can keep all the nails very short, then it may never be an issue. Most people remove them during the spay.
  • Never ever seen or heard of that. I would have them removed.
  • edited December 2010
    Hmm... I have heard of NK having rear dewclaws occasionally, but never having ones on the outer front...

As for having them removed... I guess you would have to really just see how she does with them and use your best judgment... Your vet may also have a helpful opinion on the matter as well... If you think they will remain small and can keep them trimmed, then leave them... But if you worry that they will get caught on something and cause her pain, then absolutely, have them removed. (I know... I am no help at all!)

Either way, she is still just absolutely beautiful. Love the B&T's!
  • edited December 2010
    Actually on the outside I believe it would be considered an extra toe. I don't know that I would remove it if it is small and out of the way. I would talk to your breeder to let them know since it is an inherited trait and they may want to figure where it comes in for their lines. Don't what the standard calls for in the breed but it probably does not matter unless there were plans to breed her.

Snf
  • Yeah SnF, I figured is was hereditary and have already sent an e-mail to Peggy mentioning it. I'm also wondering if the other pups in the litter have it since Peggy had mentioned wanting to place my pup's sister in a show/breeding home. My girl isn't going to be bred, sold to me under a pet contract, but even if her siblings don't have it they could still be carriers. Plus, these digits are so small that I probably wouldn't have found them if I wasn't trying to desensitize her paws.
  • Beth, let us know what Peggy says... I am quite curious to know if her sister has them as well.
  • edited December 2010
    You know, I can't not point something out here...

In 1998 the Russian RKF had 41,000 Caucasian Ovcharka registered to it in Russia - just Russia (not the world). I'm sure that number has only gone up since then. With that many registered CO we are still picking through the crap. We still have crazy health issues - heart issues, cancers, spin issues, temperament issues, eye issues, knees, hips, elbows - you name it. That's in 41k dogs!

The Shikoku Ken, on the other hand, had 300 dogs registered to NIPPO last year in the WORLD. That's 300 of these dogs born last year in the WORLD. Yet here we are discussing throwing-out (culling) a line of dogs because of an extra toe?

That's a little extreme for a breed with such a small number, don't you think?

----
  • edited December 2010
    I'm with Brad on this one. I read his post first and then went back to get caught up, but this is a purely aesthetic problem. I wouldn't go so far as to condemn Peggy for continuing to breed this line.

I have a friend with a 3rd nipple? Should I tell him not to breed? lololol :-P
  • OT: Ife has 11 nipples :D.
  • edited December 2010
    hummm...maybe I missed a thread....I don't think anyone was condemned or there was suggestion what to do in regard to the breeding. I think that is up to the breeder and consideration of the breed itself. Things do crop up.... good communication can only help for planning in the future.

Snf
  • SnF, I was being witty with strong language. :-)
  • edited December 2010
    Ok no problemo ....hard to know sometimes within an interface, inflection is so hard to translate.....no offense taken. : )
  • aykayk
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't rate this as a purely aesthetic problem as it could be a functional problem if the nail snags and rips off. Even if the nail is close enough to the limb to not snag, there's the question of whether this postaxial polyactyly trait is a symptom of some other genetic issues. In humans, it can appear by itself or, less commonly, as part of a genetic disease.

A quick goodle search brought up this summary within humans (bold text added by me):

"During normal embryonic development, the hand initially forms in the shape of a paddle, and then eventually splits into separate fingers. Polydactyly results when there is an error in this process and an extra finger forms after a single finger splits in two.
    Research continues into further understanding why this happens. Many cases seem to occur without an apparent cause, while some may occur due to a genetic (inherited) defect. Polydactyly may also occur as a part of an underlying hereditary syndrome."

IMO, since this is really unheard of in dogs to have an extra nail on the outside of the paw, it merits care on the part of thebreeder on whether to use affected dogs or not.
  • Taj, my black and tan Shiba, has that same teeny tiny dewclaw on her paw too, but on the inside of the paw where a normal one would be. When I got her, the breeder said she had her dewclaws removed. After further inspection, I realized she had one normal sized dew claw that was not removed and this teeny tiny one on the opposite paw. I had the normal one removed when she was spayed and the other one was not removed because it's so tiny. If you try to move it around or pull on it, Taj acts like it's uncomfortable and it feels like it's connected to some sort of tissue or underdeveloped toe underneath the skin. Weird....
  • I hope no one was thinking that I was condemning Peggy for this outcome... I was only curious to know if it was a genetic issue and if Peggy has had this happen before...

Personally, I have no problem with the extra toes... Unless of course it causes pain or discomfort to the pup.

Anyway, I am sorry if my comment came off wrong.

But @Calia, Beth... Do we have a name for our little B&T girl yet? :)
  • LoL Casey, I'm so bad with names, but don't worry today I'm dedicating my free time at work to finding her the perfect name:) If anyone is willing to offer up some names, feel free

It is up to the breeders (Peggy & Katja, since they do co-own Yamato and it could be on his side) whether or not this would affect their breeding plans. If you think about it, there are some perfectly healthy breeds that are purposely bred to have extra toes/dew claws, Islandic Sheepdog being one example. So it may not be as serious as you would think.

Also, this feature is very common in cats, and does show up quite often in feral colonies. There are even people who are breeding for it, using cats that have so many toes that it's like they have 2+ feet per leg. From my understanding, these cats are fairly healthy aside for the extra toes.

It's not like the shikoku breeders are going to focus on creating uber-polydactyl pups, but it is something to keep an eye out for.
  • AFAIK, Islandic Sheepdogs and several other breeds like the French breeds have multiple dewclaws that are inside of the paw, in the thumb position. I don’t know of any dog breeds that are known for having extra claws in the pinky position. That’s why I vote for caution in using affected dogs (dogs that show this extra pinky).

Just to clarify, I don’t believe potential carriers or even known carriers should be axed from a gene pool. If this extra pinky is caused by the same thing as in polydactyly cats (which mostly seem to have extra thumbs?), it’s a dominant gene with incomplete penetrance. It would be easy to remove from a line after a few generations as long as people are upfront about what animals show this trait or not. ie. No secret removal of claws right at birth.

Even if this extra pinky is caused by something more genetically nefarious or recessive, there’s still some sense in judiciously using carriers if they are outcrosses and can diversity the gene pool. (Judiciously = not letting the outcross become the next popular sire.) Diversifying a gene pool can head off immune issues such as hypothyroidism and allergies which are already very well known in Shibas and Akitas.
  • This is a Yamato pup?? Nice, he was really laid back and chill when we met him.
  • Yep Jessika, she is a Yamato x Suki pup, born September 17.
  • (and that is why I made the comment I made, this is an out-crossing)
  • aykayk
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, but I wanted to make sure things weren't swinging to the "It's nothing" extreme.
  • Do we have a name yet? BTW I think her extra toes are kinda' cute.
  • Yeah, I'm totally with Brad. For such a rare breed and such a minor issue, it's just not a big deal. The breed faces a much higher risk of bottle-necking genetically than the remote possibility of harm due to an extra toe. Losing genetic diversity has always proven to be a negative, whereas no breed has gone extinct from having extra toes.
  • Rhetorical question:

I have no idea whether or not the siblings have extra digits, but lets say that (for this questions):

-Boy 1 has normal toe count

-Boy 2 has extra toes that are more prevalent than my girl in all 4 of the same places.

-Girl 1 (my girl) has extra toes as pictured

-Girl 2 has just the extra rear dewclaws but no "pinkies"

Now I know that due to the rarity of the breed, we would be a little lenient about faults to keep from bottle necking. So say you got the litter above, which would you cull (pet contract) and which would you use for future litters, and why?

This is a question for anyone, not just those who are current or future breeders.
  • aykayk
    edited December 2010
    I like these thought experiments. :-)

Since more than one dog has developed the same "pinky", things are leaning towards an inherited condition rather than misdevelopment in the womb.

The premise I'll go by is that there are two genes in play. One that produces the rear dewclaws common to dogs, and another that bumps it up into an extra pinky. If there was a dog that had none of the common dewclaws but only the pinkies, then I could consider that second gene as independent of the first, but since there aren't any so far, I can't assume that.

Assuming all else appears normal, my opinion would be Boy 1 would be the best candidate for future litters followed by Girl 2. Boy 1 may be clear for the first gene or both genes while Girl 2 may be clear for the second gene. (I use "may" because of how incomplete penetrance works.)

Boy 2 or Girl 1 would only be used if they were kept by the breeder as a test. Most likely, the next generation out of Boy 2 or Girl 1 would produce as many or more of the same percentage of affected dogs. It'll take longer to clear up this branch of the line, which requires more space, more resources, more owners willing to own mutants, etc. Not sure if it's worth pursuing when Boy 1 and Girl 2 are available, and even the outcrossed father is around to produce a different combination.
  • I too, enjoy these little thought processes...

And while I am not interested in breeding, my scientific background does make me interested in genetics...

As for this instance, I would more than likely place Boy #2 into a pet home... Girl #1 would probably also go to a pet home as well. Boy #1 seems to be clear for any extra toe genes and could be used in a breeding program provided all else is good with him. Girl #2, with just the rear dewclaws could also be used in breeding as well, if she is bred to another pup that does not have rear dew claws in his recent pedigree.

However... for thought experiment purposes only... I would actually like to know what would happen if Girl #1 is bred. Would her offspring also have extra toes? If so, how many? And if over the course of several generations, would this genetic anomaly end up having any negative or positive results... Just something to think about...