Ife's thread

edited December 2010 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Ife is turning two tomorrow. Here is some pics and video of her from this winter.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Comments

• Ife is so pretty! :)

Happy Early Birthday!
  • Ife is two already? Wow time flies! I remember when you first posted on the yahoo group that you had received Ife. I think I had just learned that I would be getting Koda at that time.

Ife looks great! She is really a pretty Kai. Are you still showing her?
  • Haha, Ife is so great! LOOOVE that last photo! XD

She's such a great girl, can't wait to see her pups :D
  • edited December 2010
    @tjbart17 Yes, she really is two :). We have couple of shows booked for next year. We have been on break five months now. She is beautiful but I can't change her attitude to what judges want. So if her attitude hasn't change from last show I don't take her to shows anymore. She has come more confident in last few months towards strange people. I think that I'm going to invest more to our tracking hobby :). Ife likes it very much and when she enjoys, I'm having nice time.
  • She is beautiful but I can't change her attitude to what judges want

Typical Kai! Koda's father is pretty amazing, but he would not let the judges check his teeth, so he is not shown. I've known of a few Kai with this problem.

As nice as Koda is to people outside his home, he has his tolerance limitations as well. He's an ass to around 70% of the people who come into my home. Total jerk. And no amount of socialization would have stopped it. I had people coming over for dinner 2-3 times per week when he first got here.

Kais are stubborn. Once they get it in their heads that they don't like someone or something...that's it. There's no turning back. Part of the reason why I love them, their conviction!
  • Ife let's judges to check her teeths and everything but is avoiding their hand and touch. So they always say that she is too shy. I understand that (even thought I have done everything for my girl and I just don't understand why she was so afraid on men and human hand when she came to me). Here is one free translation from Ife's commentary from Finnish judge (he has been judging Kais in Canada):
    "Right proportions. Young female with really beautiful head. Is appearing truly gingerly today. Correct line strong muzzle. Eyes are nice sized and dark. A bit round pelvis. Otherwise good body where females intensity. Good angulations but there isn't strenght. It would be nice to send to group ring but dog's courage isn't enough."
  • I think that's the problem with showing Kais. She is acting like a true Kai. That's their personality type, but the judges do not see that.

Koda works with children, and is grabbed a lot by the ears, face, and tail. He is just now starting to feel comfortable with adults touching him, and we have done A LOT of work. Stick to it. She will get there.
  • the second to last picture is adorable!
  • It is funny as I am reading about Ife. Tora has started that here lately as well. I have been very selective lately in what judges I show her to. I look for those that are very tolerant and work with the dogs. I had a judge last month give Tora a group 3 even though she was very shy in the breed ring and did not want to be examined. The judge told me she placed her over the other dogs because of her structure and movement, but could not place her higher because of her shyness
  • That's interesting. What exactly do your Kai do that doesn't wow the judges (hunker down, tremble, crouch, put ears down, panting, withdrawing from the judge, etc)?
  • If Ife "likes" the judge she goes and sniffs him. But then she starts to crouch and sometimes withdraw from the judge. I noticed right away when I got Ife that she was afraid of men and human hand. So I started our life together with familiarizing her with human hand. It took about six months before she let my boyfriend and stepfather sit beside her and touch without start. She still is quite young and still maturing so I won't give up yet :).
  • Here is some new pics from Ife too.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

You can see how Ife's ears are, it was blowing really hard when we were on our walk in the hogbacks.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

I have to say that Ife has matured to really nice Kai. I just love her muscular body and it's nice to see her moving. Here is some videos from Nuuk and Ife in the dog park. Not the best quality in them.

• Wow, Ife really filled out. At first I thought she was a bit light but the maturing process has done wonders. definitely a big credit to you mirka
  • Summer pics from Ife. She has just shed so her coat isn't the best at this moment. And she has also been a little fussy about the food so she isn't in the best shape now.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

And then few pics together with Nuuk.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

It has been amazing to let Ife be free in our summer cottage. She really seems to enjoy her life now.
  • Ife kind've looks like Koda too! They are going to have some cute puppies.

The cottage house looks like a lot of fun. I'm a bit jealous.
  • Ife is looking very nice!! :D

Is Koda going to be the father of Ife's puppies?? Or am I misunderstanding you Tara? @tjbart17
  • Lol no breeding for Koda. I just assumed someday Ife and Nuuk would have puppies.
  • Ife is very beautiful!
  • Those look like happy pups!
  • Your dogs are so adorable!
  • Thanks everyone :). We popped in international dog show yesterday and the result was better than I could ever await. Ife did get her first certificate and was best of breed. Even if was international dog show the judge didn't give Ife cacib (international certificate) because Ife's temper. And she was right in that. This is so funny because Ife has never been in so poor condition (no coat at all and too skinny) in the ring. And she has been more open in the past shows towards the judge.
  • @tjbart17
    Okay Tara, I just misunderstood then ;)

@MirkaM
    Well maybe she likes hairless, thin kai. Anyways I'm sure Ife deserves it anyway so congrats :)
  • @MirkaM - That's amazing! Was the show by the Aigokai Standard? Where did you get your dogs from? Sorry, I really want a Kai Ken!
  • In Finland (and in all FCI countries) the standard is by FCI. Ife is from US and Nuuk from Japan.
  • @MirkaM - Ohhh! Do you mind me asking what kennels and how much it cost for each of them? My mother's main argument against getting one is the price.
  • Wow! Congratulations to you and Ife.
  • Some new pics from Ife too. I haven't done anything special with Ife lately but I took her to show training this week. I have been warning our trainers that Ife is a real challenge because she doesn't like strangers touching her. Well, Ife was acting completely different! She wagged her tail to everyone and wasn't afraid at all. Maybe the hard work finally paid off.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
  • waw, I just started reading this blog (I guess I am still a newbie hehee). Ife has gone soo far...you are really doing a lot with her in terms of socialization! She is very pretty! :)
  • @Mirka- do they do artificial insemination where you are?
  • Of course :D. Finland might be far up north but we are quite developed in this kind of field of science.