no pull harnesses for big dogs

edited December 2010 in Products & DIY
So Oskar is almost 90 pounds now at 6 months. He's not a huge puller, thankfully, but he has been pulling on the leash more lately. We're working on walking in heel position, and he's starting to get it, but is clearly not there yet. He DOES pull when he sees other dogs.

I just got the Easy Walk harness for him. I got two sizes L and XL and neither fits well on him, but the XL is slightly better. I tried it out on him today, and though I can't get the chest piece adjusted right on him, if I clip it to his collar with a carabiner, it kind of works. (I should add that it works slightly better without the clip, but then the chest piece falls down a bit too far on him, which I think means he just can't walk that well in it, and I worried that it would slip down on his front legs). When we were walking, he pulled slightly less, though when we saw other dogs, it didn't seem to do much at all--he still lunged forward. I think it kind of works--it turns his attention back to me, and that's helpful.

But it's not great. I can't decide if I should even keep it or try some other kind. Has anyone had any success with these on big dogs? Suggestions?

On the plus side, he was in heel position much more today than usual, but he still did it when I took off the harness, so I think he's just starting to get it!

Comments