We now have a pack! Introducing Kurenai! (Happy 1st Birthday)

So...a little over 2 years ago we got our first Shiba Inu and first foray into the Nihon Ken world. Despite all the trials and tribulations with Ichi, who we love to death and wouldn't replace for anything in the world, we dearly wanted a Shikoku to be the next dog we get to compliment him. Obviously the rarity of the breed in Japan, and even moreso in the U.S. made it difficult. But I have this forum to thank because I would've never heard of Shikoku for starters, but have never known of individuals like Katja, Peggy, Brad, Kris, and Corina who are working to strengthen the Shikoku bloodlines in the U.S.

Now I leave the breeding to the aforementioned individuals, but I definitely wanted to help in any way I can. So I worked with Corina and entered a co-ownership with her of a female Shikoku imported from Japan. Over a year later of ongoing communications, Corina worked with Shikoku breeders (special thanks to Shigeru) to make it happen.

You can tell from the videos that we have our work cut out for us as Kurenai is very much the eager beaver.

Without further ado, I present to you, Kurenai!

Comments

• Congrats Jesse! She's adorable!
  • Aww congrats Jesse!
  • Congratulations :) Glad you finally got the shikoku you wanted.
  • Congrats, she is stunning! :D
  • Jesse, so happy she arrived safely. She was only with me for a few days, but I think she has an excellent temperament. She was great with my dogs. She also looks very promising as far as conformation goes. Did you see the pictures of her parents?
  • edited December 2010
    Hey Kato-san,
    I did not see pictures of her parents. She was a sight unseen deal. So I didn't really get excited to see her until Corina called me from LAX and said, "I got the PUPPIEZ!!"
  • Wow! Congrats Jesse! I can't wait to see her at a meet up, u are going to take her to some of the shiba meet ups right?! :)
  • Hey Julie,
    I'll take her to the meetups when she's at least through her 2nd round of vaccinations. Probably won't be until Jan or so though :-(

Jesse
  • Congrat! she's superb! :)
  • Jesse, I've got pictures of both parents, and of Kurenai at 30 days. I'll scan and upload them later.
  • Jesse, congratulations!!! And it looks like Ichi is doing well with her too. Sounded like something spilled during the last video as they ran by you ;-)

Also, she looks to be thinking about nursing when she goes under Ichi, at least my impression. Sachi did that when she was that age to Kuma and actually would teeth him down there (soon realized "no milk").

• Awwww! :-D

So glad that she arrived to you safe and sound! Congrats. She is super adorable!
  • OH my she's so cute!
  • So thats where that chunky little thing went! She was absolutely adorable when I met her at Corina's house. Congrats on a good looking pup. What is this a Kai and shikoku invasion?
  • She seems really great, congrats Jesse! (and Corina) :o)
  • Jesse - it just means u better schedule the meetup in January then! :P
  • do I smell a socal meet?
  • Congrats Jesse!
  • Hey Gen,
    Julie is referring to our Shiba Meetup group on meetup.com. However, I would love a meetup (and would love to see you and your dogs hunting sometime).

Jesse
  • Congrats! Gorgeous pup!
  • Super cute! We also have a Shiba Inu and are interested in getting a Shikoku puppy. How old is your Shiba? Do they get along pretty well (they seem to from the videos)?
  • Hi Guys,
    Thanks guys, and I don't know if it's coincidental editing but Ichi won't tolerate any physical attention from Kurenai whatsoever. The parts you are seeing is him running into his crate to run away from her to his "safe place". Currently I won't let Kurenai go into his crate with him because he gets REALLY angry/reactive. I know at some point she is going to adjust and learn but I'd rather not test Shikoku tenacity vs reactively shy Shiba so early in the game without me getting a chance to improve their relationship.

Thanks to Brad and Corina for letting me know that Shiku girls can be quite the PITA as puppies:-P

Jesse

• She looks like she's going to be quite a pistol. Shibas and Shikoku - oh my!
  • Kurenai's dam, sire, and Kurenai at 30days.

Kurenai dam

Kurenai sire

Kurenai 30
  • Very pretty sire and dam!

30 day old puppies look just like ground hogs :-) No ears!
  • I like that sire
  • I like the last pic...photobomb! :D
  • Thanks Shigeru,
    Her parents look beautiful! Her markings have lightened up since the 30 day pic but her chest and face give me hope she will be every bit the beautiful goma her parents are. I love how her sire is in the background in her 30 day old pic looking at her thinking, "What's she doing all the way over there?"
  • oh she is so cute!!! can't wait till i have my shikoku puppy! this sunday we are going to meet the mother that's pregnant right now..
  • That earless puppy is so cute! *lol* congrats!