broken toe nail

So Oskar broke one of his toenails really really high up. It's still connected, but it is so high up it kind of looks like it is still connected by the quick (it's broken way up at the top of his paw) It bled quite a bit, but has stopped now (just about the time I finally found the stiptic powder, or whatever that stuff is called, it stopped on its own). Doesn't seem to hurt him too badly, though he licks it if he thinks of it. I'm squeamish about clipping my dogs' nails anyway (you all would be appalled if you saw the state of the Shibas' nails) but this is so far up it really looks awful.

What do we do? I can't bring myself to try and cut it. But should I suck it up and just do it? Should I see if it falls off? (It's got to eventually, right?). Does he need to go the vet for this? We did put a little antiseptic/with an analgesic on it to keep it clean/numb it, but other than that, we're just looking at it in horror.

What do we do?

Comments

• If it looks like it could get caught on something and rip off injuring him more, then yes cut it. If you are too squeamish, you can take him in and have them do it.

I had to do the same thing to one of my own nails today. :-(
  • Toe nail injuries aren't very serious as far as injuries goes. I think the biggest risk is for a subsequent infection, so you can probably just keep an eye on it. If he's favoring the paw heavily or refusing to put weight on it, then you should probably have a vet or groomer clean it up. If he is only showing mild interest in it, then it's probably just the dried blood that he's trying to lick off and you're probably safe to just keep an eye on it. If you're unsure, a call to the vet can always put your mind at ease. I've never been charged for a "here's the problem, do I need to bring him/her in?" call.
  • Thanks for your thoughts.....he's not even favoring it or licking it today. It just LOOKS bad! So thanks for your comments on my moment of paranoia! :)
  • Reilly popped the top off one of her claws- it was lifted off the quick like the hood of a car, but attached. I was similarly horrified. The vet pulled it off effortlessly with those clampy scissors-looking things. she didnt even flinch- I think the painful part was over with the initial injury. I think I might have some disgusting photos of her claw in a thread here somewhere...