Kai Ken Imports - Round III: Introducing Tora, Ayu, Nio, and Chibi!

edited November 2010 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Well, I just returned from Japan with some new Kai Ken imports. I figured I better give them a proper intro...

**Please forgive my crappy video skills, new camera = I'm a tard**

Tora and Ayu are litter mates. They are really nice Kai Ken, Tora may be the nicest male we've imported so far and I think Ayu is on-par with Kumi. Tora is a bit defensive, which I think is typical of a Kai Ken male while Ayu is very outgoing. Both of them are super sweet and friendly.

Nio (short for Niomon) is a very nice male too, he has a unique face which I like a lot. He's also got some nice thick bones and wide chest, which I also like a lot. He's less outgoing that Tora and Ayu, but he is also a little better with other dogs - seems to be naturally respectful of dogs. He's friendly and not fearful, he's just more aloof than the other 2. Nio has a really deep jet black coat with a deep red brindle - really nice coloring (makes him hard to photograph too).

Chibi is tiny, she's super cute and very sweet. I think she's the most aloof pup we have had so far, she loves to play with herself but she also plays well with the other pups. Funny, she seems to prefer the older dogs to the puppies. She's good with the dogs and very sweet with us when she actually wants to be with us. lol

Nio and Chibi share some common blood, but they are not that closely related, and they are out-crossed from Tora and Ayu.

The plan with these imports has been to place a pair with Peggy (O'iKon Kennel) and then keep a pair here, we are sticking to that plan for now tho we may hold Chibi back and watch how she grows (since she is smaller). Tora is mos def going to Peggy tho, he'll be a great addition to her efforts and will still be available to us too - I'm thinking a Kumi x Tora breeding will be nice! :o)

Tora...
Tora
Tora
Tora
Tora

Ayu...
Ayu
Ayu
Ayu
Ayu

Nio...
Nio
Nio
Nio
Nio

Chibi (she was too busy for an in-depth photo session)...
Chibi
Chibi

^^Excuse the dirty noses, they were all digging a big hole by the house.

Random videos...

Well, that's it for now. Stay tuned for more updates! :o)

----

Comments

• EEEEEEEEKKKKK *dies from cute overload*
  • I was just dying for this update! All 4 pups are wonderful to see. :-)

• Very nice. Love the 2nd and third photos. All are lovely and can't wait to see their development.

Snf
  • So cute! I love them all!

Ayu is so cute I love her face and her coloration.

Tora I love him too nice coloration.

Nio is so adorable! I love him!

Chibi sounds cute I'm glad she gets along with the dogs. =)
  • Holy crap they are super cute. welcome back Brad and I'm sure you had a blast over there.

Cant waite to see future pups! I wonder what kind of hunting dog they would make?
  • OMG, they are all so cute...I love how Ayu and Tora have so much patterning, and Nio has to most adorable face:) Chibi is a cutie as well
  • oh wow, what gorgeous puppies! It will be awesome to see how they grow up. : )
  • Damn you! Damn you and your super cute Kai puppy pics!

I need a Kai in my life. There. I've finally admitted it. That's the first step isn't it? : )
  • Love it! Thanks for posting (FINALLY!). Haha.

They are all adorable. I especially loved the video of them climbing under the kuranda bed. :)

I am smitten for the Kai army!
  • They are adorable. Glad everything went well on your trip and everyone made it home safely.
  • Brad made it home safely, but just barely. I did drive us off the road and into a rice field one night.
  • Was wondering when we would get to see the new additions :) they are all so adorable!
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks all for the compliments on the pups. :o)

It's true Shigs tried to kill me by driving his Jimny off a steep ledge and into a rice field... Then he blamed it on one of the Kai pups! Can you believe that??? Be careful if you go to visit him. lol
  • Cutest army ever! :-)
  • LMAO damn asian drivers :P
  • Adorable pups! Can't wait to watch more vids and see them growing! All four of them are beautiful>>>> Glad you and Shigeru survived the rice field... not so sure how that worked for you without drowning (or drowning the car engine)?.. Here in Mn. the truly "wild" rice grows naturally in lakes, and "cultivated" wild rice farms are surrounded by deep water moats... hmmmm?

Looking forward to more pup pics and vids and stories... You will have a busy life with all those Kai's...
  • OMG! They are adorable! I am so not doing well on my "behaving like a normal person not a crazed kai addict" right now. Just saw Denmark's only kai today at a dogshow and they are getting a pup from Japan on the 18th! I am totally puppy crazy! XD Haha...
  • Oh, I think I met that pup that's going to Denmark.
  • Yeah Brad, Shigeru has that one at the moment. It's his new owners I met with today ;)
  • Yea, that's what I thought. He's a cute little guy, he'll make a great companion.
  • LOVE THEM!!! & each one is so...unique looking, even down to certain facial features. Can't way to see how they develop, they're already off to a good start!

@brada1878 said, "It's true Shigs tried to kill me by driving his Jimny off a steep ledge and into a rice field...""

hmm....replace "Shigs" with "Brad," "Jimmy" with "Subaru" & "rice field" with "snow bank"...& I think I could've said the same thing a few months ago Brad ;)

LOL ~
  • All the Kai pups are super, super, super adorable!

I like Miss Ayu a lot...but I might be a bit bias cause of her coloration & her sweet foxy face =].
  • They are beautiful, Brad! Congratulations! Now I may have to make a trip up to Taos at some point and meet them!
  • Come on up!
  • I got a few new pics and videos...

I finally got some good ones of Chibi:
    Chibi

Chibi

Chibi

Chibi

One of Tora:
    Tora

A few of Nio:
    Nio

Nio

Ayu and Tora:
    Tora & Ayu

Video of Chibi:

Video of Nio:

All the pups:

----
  • edited November 2010
    They're all just too adorable!!!!

The Kai Ken Army groweth!!! ~
  • OMG, they are all adorable!

@Brada1878
    Do you know yet who you're keeping?
  • Sorry Peggy. Keep all of them!

They are so frickin' adorable!!!!
  • edited November 2010
    @Brego_mellon_nin and @tjbart17 -

We really like Tora (he's built really well and is very sweet), but we are going to place him with Peggy. We planned to send Chibi to her too, but we are holding on to Chibi for a bit to see how she grows.

Peggy will keep them for her program and we will have access to them for our program too. I feel good about placing a really nice male with her as there is no point to importing with the goal of preservation if you aren't going to share the best dogs with the other programs.

We decided to keep Ayu and Nio here because they bring things to the table qualities that we need (to cover things in our current dogs that we don't want). I'm very pleased with Ayu and Nio too, Nio is a real love bug - he's nicely built too. Ayu is great, I really like her, she is built like Tora just a bit more feminine. I LOVE Ayu's personality - she snuggled on the couch with me last night while I watched Conan. :o)

I have another male Kai Ken pup coming at the end of the month, I hope that he is as nice as Tora. Then there are some other importing plans happening after that, but not much more...

----
  • @Brada1878
    Sounds good, Brad, they are all great. I'm looking very much forward to following them on here :)

Wauw, more imports?! How many are you going to have in the end? :D