Designer hybrids taken too far

edited September 2010 in Other Breeds
It's a travesty, it really is. Link

Comments

• It's horrible, it really is, but the buffalo poodle is really cute.
  • I never thought I would hear myself say (or type) this, but I'm somewhat interested in standard poodles. One of my neighbors has one and he's just too damn cute with his mohawk. The fact that they are traditionally working bird dogs makes them even more interesting.
  • I like poodles with their coats grown out. And they are SUPER smart.
  • I like poodles I like how they are seen as a fru fru dog and a girl dog, but are actually bred to hunt.

Never met one up close just toy poodles..
  • Yeah, Standard Poodles look better when they DON'T get the breed standard cut! I'm not into Oodles but...they ARE cute when they stay looking like sheep =].
  • I love poodles. I'm with Corina because I hate the way the standard cut looks but I think they're adorable all fluffy. Very easy dogs from what I've heard/read about them.
  • I kind of like standard poodles too, if they don't have the cut....But these poor dogs....Most of them look so unhappy in those pics!
  • I can only say, way to go America :(. This is so disgusting.
  • aykayk
    edited September 2010
    Frankly, I don't think of these as so bad. Not worse than people dressing chihuahuas and poms in dresses or "marrying" them in ceremonies.

Poodles who love their groomers enjoy the extra attention. This is what one groomer says: "For those who are overly concerned about the dogs emotions. Cindy loves the attention. She will prance around and expects your attention. This is a Creative Grooming Contest and Cindy will look like this for only a few hours. After the contest Cindy will be shaved." Source: http://www.pinkcoyote.net/creativegrooming.html

BTW, I think that jab at America was out of line. Really, blame an entire country of 300 million people for the actions of a few?
  • edited September 2010
    yeah, they are not really hybrids, groomers are just having a lot of fun with their coats.
  • I should clarify that I'm not actually upset by this, I just thought the idea of a poodle buffalo/camel/snail/horse hybrid was funny because there are so many doodle mixes out there.
  • Oh wow, I just went to that creative grooming website. I love the ninja turtle!
  • Hey guys, there are also some nihon ken like that ... ( you can traduce this url with Google Translate )
    http://shiba.over-blog.com/article-coloration-pour-chiens-japon-asie-61776121.html

shibas and akitas shaved & colored, in tigers ! ... cute but weird
  • Does people even know how toxin these toners are which they are using to their dogs!?
  • @Ludmila
    That white tiger is just too cute, and actually very realistic! ;)

@MirkaM
    I admit to not knowing which colors they use for these poodles, but even here in Denmark, we have colors, which are not toxic to the animals. They are originally used to mark sheep/pigs/cows, which are either ill, or not supposed to be milked/slaughtered, whatever... So they could be using non harmful colors...
  • I think all dyes are somehow detrimental to health, to dogs and humans. The most dyes include ammonia and several other harmful chemicals. I'm studying chemistry so that might be the reason why I really don't want any toxic chemicals near to my dog.

But seriously is it necessary to make our companions look like that? I think people who is doing those things to their dogs should buy a soft toy in stead of live animal.
  • I disagree with the pigments being toxic.

There are many plant derived pigments that are not harmful at all. Granted, I have no way of knowing what types of dye they are using on the dogs, but I would hope that the animals health is taken into consideration and only natural pigments are used.

However, they are very cute... But I know that my dogs would not enjoy that in the least. They would try and eat me, I am sure of it, if I ever attempted anything like that. :)
  • I remember on animal planet they had a short thing on this and it said the dyes were non toxic plant based.
  • Sunyata and Saya said it ;)
    In Denmark we also have sprays, so the dogs' coat is not even dyed, just sprayed on, and the sprays are in no way harmful to the animals. Well except for the CO2 :/
  • I've seen similar things were they take a rodent in a photo and tweak it so it resembles Pikachu from Pokemon. As far as this constituting animal cruelty is debatable, I do recognize this as being an outrageous case of being stupidly creative. That is, being creative and stupid at the same time!
  • edited December 2010
    OK did anyone notice Mochi is on there? And Brad and Jen's house? @brada1878 click on the Kai Ken link on the bottom.
    http://shiba.over-blog.com/album-1526208.html
  • edited December 2010
    hmm... I had not noticed that. Mochi. Me sad. :o(
  • Oh I'm sorry. We all miss the mochster. She will be home soon.