Shibui Kishu

I like this Kishu.

Comments

• I LOVE his intensity toward the end of the video. He also happens to be really well muscled. Nice looking dog!
  • He's pretty serious looking.
  • I don't have the audio on, but I love how his spirit is balanced with obedience.
  • P.S. What does 'Shibui' mean?
  • He looks so confident, I love it!
  • edited August 2010
    Yea, he is awesome. I know I write this a lot, but that last part is exactly how Ahi acts when she see something of interest or is threatened. It kinda makes me wonder if Ahi has some Kishu mixed in there or something.
  • He's clearly trying to burn a hole through another dog's head with his eyes lol. He's very compact and square looking. If you were judging him, what would you say are the good things about this dog.
  • edited August 2010
    My Japanese isn't that great, but I think "shibui", in this context, describes this kishu as having a cool or mature presence. But I could be way off!
  • That Kishu is just amazing looking. That looks is what really draws me to the breed, its that real.....well that shibui look.
  • Shibui is another one of those hard to translate words. It shares some of the feeling encapsulated in soboku.

The word's origin is found in a type of bitter persimmon. It tastes dry and bitter. It's used to make a type of varnish, and I believe it's the color of the varnish that inspired the word's present meaning. The varnish is a light brown/red color, not very 'rich', simple but yet appealing.

Soboku's meaning leans more toward a 'simple unadorned beauty'. When shibui is used to describe something it can mean it's dignified, not showy or pretentious, simple and yet very appealing, deep and mature. Nowadays a lot of young people use it to describe something that's cool.

• @kwyld What draws me to this Kishu is just the overall balance and aura he gives off. He's got that something that makes you look again. He is very compact and square almost to a fault, but in the NK standard a lot of points go for that 'something', the dog's temperament and general aura. I'd say he's also well muscled, masculine, and has nice head balance. He's not overly showy like some conformation Kishu with exaggerated features. I didn't really read the explanation about the video before I posted, but apparently this is a very famous male who placed in pretty much every category all the way from when he was a pup. Looks like he also took the Naikaku Souri Daijin Sho which is the top prize at the national Nippo event.
  • It's impressive how much that Kishu's stance reminds me of Kuma's when he's staring down another dog, before he tries to give the dog hell if the dog insists.
  • edited August 2010
    American handlers in shows teach their dogs to focus toward them with luring right? Japanese handlers allow the dog to stand out in front, acting and moving very natural. I wonder how difficult it would be for a Japanese judge judging say a Kai Ken show here in the states, to properly evaulate a dog's aura. How would that be possible to evaulate when the dog is manipulated to be focusing on food and the handler the whole time?
  • Different standards, different organizations. The idea in Nippo shows is to show the dog as it is. Haven't really been to any standard shows other than a couple JKC shows that I found rather boring, so don't really have a good feel for what they're like.

I don't know that judges would have too hard of a time sizing up a dog just because of how it's being shown. They would evaluate it differently and according to the standard they know.