Patterdale "Hunting"

edited July 2010 in Other Breeds
A while back Shigeru posted a video of I believe a Kishu hunting a boar in a very direct-aggresive style. The video reminded me of some photos I saw of Patterdale Terries hunting raccoons.

Anyway, a Dutchie Breeder I spoke to a few months back had some problems with a bunch of raccoons going into his barns & being a huge problem. So he got his hands on a few working patterdales & showed a video of them doing their thing. Thought it was pretty crazy & interesting.

[ waring: This video can be considered "Graphic" by some ] ~

Comments

• edited November -1
    Damn! Raccoons can be seriously nasty....they scare ME when they start up with that hissing and growling! This is pretty impressive. But I wonder how much the dogs get hurt?
  • edited November -1
    Those dogs are so freaking extreme. The just shock me when I see them work.

Did he shoot the Raccoons or did the dogs kill them? What was the end result?

----
  • edited November -1
    Totally. Raccoons can be downright NASTY. I can't believe that dog wasn't getting scratched to hell.
  • edited July 2010
    Lisa - The dogs get scratched up a bit, given some time to recover, then back to raid the barn again. [ from what I understand he has several dogs & rotates them ]

Brad - Dogs kill the raccoons. Says he doesn't want to ruin the fun for the dogs lol ~
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    The Dutchies weren't able to handle the racoons? Or were they too big to reach the racoons?
  • edited July 2010
    Not sure...my guess is the Dutchies just aren't cut out for this type of "Work."

TBH tho, & this is just based on my own 1 Dutchie [ mine is not from this breeder ] he really has no desire to hunt / kill or even really chase, any animals. Cats walk by, I have 11 birds in the house & 1 snake...all of which are nearby constantly.

The most he does is play-bow & wag his tail at them [ he gives the same reaction as if they were a dog ] When we took him over to meet Dad's cat, he did the exact same play-bowing. When we were on a walk & passed by 2 stray cats within 7 feet of us...he gave them a glance, & found chewing on a rock more interesting, even when the cats took off.

The breeder I did get Wraith from says the breed doesn't really show aggression / predatory instinct to smaller animals. [ probably why they're pretty off-leash reliable...the most Wraith chases are butterflies, & even then it's only for about 15 seconds. ]

My guess is the guy needed a job done, & brought in the appropriate dogs to do it. [ he takes regular contracts for military / police / etc. & recently got a contact for terriers, in his hunt he found these patterdales & thought they were perfect for getting rid of the raccoons eating up all the feed in the barn. He has another breed of terrier too, but can't remember which one. ~
  • edited November -1
    Theres a few guys out here that hunts raccoons and yotes with Patterdales. The guys out here just allows the dogs to finish the animals off and yup those freak'n things get tore up. But being satans little helpers, they can take a lick'n and keep on truck'n. Although I would'nt mind having one as a bush dog to chase out pigs. Hmmmmmm.......

One guy I know uses a saluki to chase down the coyotes and 3 Patterdales jump in and kill the coyote. I'm gonna have to find a video on that, its pretty cool but at the same time you start to fear those little buggers. If a GSD or other Police dogs were not available, I would choose a Patterdal as a K-9 unit especially as a close quarter attack dog.
  • edited July 2010
    I've seen some videos of dogs (not sure of the type) killing coyotes, and I guess in the end, I just find that really awful. the videos I saw had comments from the owner of the hunting dogs, and he said, yes, his dogs got tore up pretty bad and occasionally he had to put them down, and I thought why would anyone do this? And why is dog fighting illegal, but it is ok to have dogs kill another canine like this? It seemed more a type of dog fighting than hunting to me.

I can see using dogs to track coyotes, I guess, but I'd think it would be much more humane all around if the coyote was then shot, rather than let dogs rip it to pieces (and maybe get hurt in the process too). I don't know....that just didn't sit well with me.
  • edited November -1
    @ Shibamistress:
    Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like a cool thing for dogs to tear apart another animal. There are quite abit of people who hunt coyotes with grey hounds, saluki's, and other sight hounds as a means to revive old traditions and to revive the original use of these dogs. I think dog fighting is quite abit different then hunting. I have been around a few dog fighting investigations and dog fighting is a criminal act because of the activities involved and mistreatment of animals.

I can see how one may see that hunting coyotes with dogs maybe similar in act because there are animals fighting but imho I think comparing dog fighting to coyotes hunting with dogs is comparing apples to oranges. Here's a list of things that are associated with illegal dog fighting events on top of animal cruelty acts:

Narcotic activity (use,sales, maneufacture)
    Prostitution
    Human smuggling
    Illegal gambling
    Money laundering
    Murder
    Assault/Battery
    Organized crime
    Gang activity
    Pollution
    Illegal dumping (trash and animals)
    Child endangerment
    Illegal weapons sales
    Domestic violence
    ....and the list can go on and on.

Sorry to thread jack Osy but just wanted to put my two cents in on this topic. So this is just my opinion and not intended to offend any one.
  • edited November -1
    I agree, using dogs to corner and track animals to be shot is one thing, but using dogs to attack and rip apart other animals is pretty lame. not just for the violent death of the hunted, but for the safety of the hunting dogs- which could be called mistreatment. And all for the sake of tradition? Whatever. Just my opinion.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Quite honestly, I don't think the Saluki/Patterdales would be the best animals for coyote hunting. A population biologist who has imported Salukis from Saudi Arabia and courses them in CA had said that they are good for something up to fox-size. A set of working staghounds would be faster at catching *and* dispatching coyotes.

When I was watching the raccoon video, the thought that was in my mind was the raccoon would have been dead by the 10 second mark if it was a larger dog with some shaking-of-prey drive. If the raccoons were tucked out of the way in a barn, where larger dogs couldn't access them, then I could see the need for a gritty small dog like a Patterdale, but out in the open, there are better, faster dogs to use.