Craigs List

edited February 2008 in General

I never realized how many people are willing to give up their animals with little to no effort to find a home that they can bring them along.

Here is an akita in my area looking for a home

http://providence.craigslist.org/pet/563567462.html 

Comments

• edited February 2008

I try not to be shocked by things like this, because I see it all the time.  Dogs are completely disposable to some people.  It's sad.

• edited November -1

I wish I could be a little cooler about these things. But apparently I am REALLY sensitive. Those damn pedigree adoption ads make me cry like a child.

And every time I leave animal control I cry my way home. I just keep coming back and showing up because so few people are willing to help, and I know that a lot of times, I may be that dogs only chance, and sometimes the only kindness they know is from me before they get put down because I couldn't find someone to adopt them.

Great.

Now I'm crying at work. 

• edited November -1
    Animals are are just materialistic possessions to most people. It's "just a dog/cat/whatever". Easily replaced with another. Have no place to live with that cat? Give it away and get a new one later. They're trading cards too. I'll trade you 3 snakes for a ferret.
  • edited November -1
    I rehomed two cats from my apartment building because my neighbour wanted to move somewhere where he'd have his own washing machine but didn't bother with the fact that they didn't allow cats.  He asked me if I wanted two cats and said that if he didn't find someone to take them within a few days, he was just going to drop them off at the Indian Reserve.  They treat animals like they're old sofas or something!  I would never move somewhere that didn't allow me to bring my animals.  
  • edited November -1

Last summer I was sitting in my back yard when I heard a truck rolling down the road.  The road I live off of is rural so such things get our attention.  So as I watched this truck it was beginning to slow down.  In the back of the bed were two larger dogs.  One older looking shepard, and one younger husky-type.  The guy pulls over not far from my sight and kicks the dogs out of the truck and then takes off like he robbed a bank.  He sped off at least 70 mph.  Those dogs ran like hell for the first quarter mile then slowed and from what I could tell became very distressed and upset hustling down the road.  I immediately got on the phone with animal control and they were out here in a flash.  I know they caught the older one right away but am not sure what happened from there.  I wish I had been a little closer to the road and had gotten this guy's license plates.  Such a shame. 

It really is moments like this that I pray there is a Hell.  It seems worse here in my neck of the woods because of "cultural" ideals.  People who fight roosters, people who fight dogs, and folks who see a dog as merely that animal they have to feed chained up to the tree out back.  Even my own brother (who I do not speak to anymore) has had at least 12 dogs in his adult life.  He says "oh that one ran away", or "that one pee'd on the carpeting", or "untrainable".  He treats them like disposable things with no consequences of responsibility.   I am not too surprised considering he was that kind of kid anyways while growing up.  He used to beat my stuffed animals in front of me to make me cry and shoot birds out of the trees for with my father there to encourage and cheer him on.  Uggh, ...no wonder I am half a mess and have so many pets.  One day I will get therapy, but in the meantime I can say that my critters are my friends and they are here for life. 

Ok, sorry this post jilted me a bit.  I did not mean to go blubbering.

Huggs to you Jessica for all your good deeds.  I know there are many feathers to add to your wings and one day you will be there in another capacity as you help the weary and weak to a wonderful place where nothing can hurt them and only goodness exists with full bowls of goodies and never a pain to be felt.  Of course you might want a vacation in Heaven and that too will be filled with happy faces licking you and thanking you for all that you have done. 

Huggs, Ron

• edited November -1

Ron that story makes me want to throw up and cry!  To actually see something that leads to these for creatures being in shelters is more horrendous than I could ever imagine!  Especially being someone who rescues!!!!!!!!  I cant even leave my dog at daycare without my heart hurting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im very emotional right now....jerks! Cry

• edited November -1

Ron you got me blubbering.

Thank you. 

• edited November -1
    Why did I open this again???  I just got past this!
  • edited November -1
    LMAO @ Rachael. You made me laugh out loud and Errik thought I was having nightmares again. (I woke up an hour ago screaming and scared the bejeebus out of the household)
  • edited November -1

Awwww....glad I can help!

*HUG* 

• edited November -1

Yeah, you'd be surprised on all the Owner reliquishments (sp?). I went to a job fair for Animal Control. And of course, naturally, I got side-tracked and went to look at all the doggies and kittys on my way there. I found that while a few were strays, a lot more were "owner surrenders" - both dogs and cats. How terrible!

I've always want to take-in cats and just have them roam free on my property (in a safe, but large enclosure). So, someday when I get my property, I will open up a Domestic Cat Saunctuary.

I found that a majority of the dogs there were all Pit-bulls and German Shepherds. I think someday too, I will also have a Canine Saunctuary. Where "rescue" or "owner reliquished" dogs can stay and live out their life, but also be available for adoption but only to the appropriate home.

-------------------------------------

Yeah, it's horrible how some people treat animals.

My animals are what I live for. They are one of a kind, each and every one of them! They are always a priority, giving them up just isn't an option. I'm always trying to better myself, keeping in mind that it is for the animals. 

Heck, tis' why I got interested in politics. It was because it is starting to effect my animals. And I HATE politics with a passion, but I'm learning how to play the game. I will learn to play it very well (I have to). Nobody messes with the animals and gets away with it!

I wish more humans out there were like us -sighs-.