Akita breeders from Japan

edited July 2010 in Akita (秋田犬)
Does anybody know anything about breeder of Akita from Japan. I read some negative comments about famous breeder, Mr. Shirai from Japan.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow? Really would you mind posting where you read these comments? Can't really comment without the source.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    "Negative comments" is a bit vague. Is it a reference to his person or to his dogs?
  • edited November -1
    I'm interested in where you heard that to.
  • edited November -1
    Actually, I "heard" something about that as well, as in terms of Shirai having not been allowed in competition in Japan. I do clearly want to state that it was all vague and didn't say why, so I can't judge if it was true, fake, politics, gossip or whatever. Still, I've seen some beautiful Akita from Shirai and so it did make me wonder if it were true and what the story would be behind it.
  • edited July 2010
    I knew that researching and reading through the older discussions would be time well spent. I recalled coming across this discussion which specifically references Shirai kennel: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1537

Perhaps this is the source of the "negative comment" that Akita Inu has refered to?
  • edited July 2010
    Well I'll be blunt - if any active member on this forum asked this question I would be curious to find out what is going on. However this post came from a person who as of last night has not given a proper introduction and has only made two topics. I love being wrong and would love to read the source material but as of right now this doesn't pass the smell test.

@kumachan, I saw that post but I'm really curious to see what the OP has to offer.
  • edited November -1
    I agree, Jack. No introduction, no post activity and, quite frankly, making a rather rude comment right out of the chute, isn't really appropriate.
  • edited November -1
    I came across these comments while researching and reading through all the comments related to finding a reputable breeder of Japanese Akita. I am new to the forum so I apologize for not following the protocol.
  • edited July 2010
    Perhaps my response was harsh, if I was I apologize. I am a relatively new member to this forum and should probably not suggest that any question, posted by anyone, is improper. That said, I have found that many of my questions can be answered by thoroughly researching all the discussions on this site and following suggested links to other sources of information.

My interpretation of and response to your initial question may well come from a different position than other members of this forum, though I am not certain of that. Your initial question, to me only, appears to ask to be spoon-fed information, without any introduction or representation of yourself. For good or ill, I have extensive contact with Japan and Japanese people in many different contexts and areas of my life. Frankly, I would never make an introduction between a person I just met, of whom I have very little knowledge of as to their character or reputation, to a Japanese business associate, martial arts instructor, academic professor or other professional, with whom I wish to maintain a good relationship.

You have started a second discussion requesting the same information on the forum. I have posted some links I found on this forum which has greatly assisted me in my own search for NK breeders in Japan. I hope that these links can assist you!

Gambattene!
  • edited November -1
    From what I have been told.... Mr. Shirai is a 100% full Akiho Hozonkai member, who has help the LA-Branch Akiho with two Akitas (Kita and Wakka) as gifts. Club members have bought many Akitas from him and seem happy with their purchase. Not to mention that many of the Akitas' in Europe have come from his kennel.

Another option is Grace Garden... Mr. Yamaguchi. Kaeda(my akita)'s mommy is from his kennel.

Hope this helps, and please share something about yourself the next time you visit.
  • edited November -1
    I have been looking for JA puppy for almost a year now. Previously I had a beautiful male labrador. He died 15 months ago. I have never gotten a dog from oversees. I don't know if Japan suffers from the problem of puppy mills. That's the reason for joining the forum.
    Any other information would be very useful. But thank you all the same
  • edited November -1
    i have never bought a puppy from Japan and I do not recommend any one breeder. There is a cultural difference between the way the US (if you are from somewhere else my bad) and Japan handle selling puppies. My advice is to learn how to approach a breeder in Japan - there are some on this forum who have had purchased dogs from Japan and I would ask them.
  • edited November -1
    I know a gentleman who is a retired Akiho judge. Next time I talk to him I'll see if he has anything to add.