AKC recognizes "new" breeds

edited July 2010 in Other Breeds
LJ posted this on the shibaside, thought I'd cross post it here since a few members own or have interest in these breeds...

"Lap dogs they’re not. The three exotic pooch breeds newly recognized by the American Kennel Club are all athletic, large and ripped. And while new to the AKC, they’re actually old breeds. All have been around for centuries, but only now have joined the list of 164 breeds already registered with the AKC, according to MSNBC.com.

The Icelandic Sheepdog, part of the family that includes chow chows, once was used to herd sheep, horses and cattle. The large but cuddly Leonberger, which can grow as large as 170 pounds, according to Dictionary.com, is named after Leonberg, Germany, and supposedly was bred to resemble the lions on that town’s crest. Originally, the Leonberger was thought to be a cross between a St. Bernard and a Newfoundland.

The third dog, the rare, muscle-bound Cane Corso, at one point faced extinction but was brought back in the 1980s by enthusiasts. A member of the mastiff family, Cane Corsos are considered easy to train and very intelligent.

But being a distinctive breed is not all it takes to win a place on the official AKC list, says AKC spokeswoman Christina Duffney. And there's no hard and fast rule about how long it takes to be recognized. "There's not a set number of years,” Duffney told the TODAYshow.com. “You never really know how long it’s going to take.”

As of today, she says, all three dogs may compete in AKC shows and participate in other AKC activities."

http://www.akc.org/breeds/cane_corso/
http://www.akc.org/breeds/icelandic_sheepdog/
http://www.akc.org/breeds/leonberger/
~

Comments

• edited November -1
    And there goes another three breeds. :-(
  • edited November -1
    Dave, why is the AKC so bad?
  • edited November -1
    I didn't realise that the Cane Corso and Leonberger weren't recognised. I guess because they are recognised by the CanKC.
  • edited November -1
    Pretty much Dave. :\ ~
  • edited November -1
    Awesome breeds, hopefully they don't get too screwed up...

ala-chan, often times breeds that are recognized as AKC, especially the "new" and "exotic" breed, wind up becoming popular with a bad crowd and can not only start showing up in pet stores. Also, many not so good show breeders will go to any lengths to having a winning dog, even if that means breeding a new defect into the breed (unknowingly).
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I see...
    Thanks Beth!
  • edited November -1
    The CC will survive. I don't think the AKC is all bad.
  • edited November -1
    AKC isn't all bad on it's own (imo). It's the importance the average person puts on it that's bad. A lot of people think they're getting good quality dogs from an ethical breeder just because the dogs are AKC registered. I see more BYBs throwing it out there than ethical ones.
  • edited November -1
    Sorry to hit and run like that, I've been busy unpacking my house and haven't had much internet time.

I think Beth and Rina basically summed it up. The AKC creates an economy that, IMO, rewards practices that are too narrow to be in the best interests of the dogs. It isn't the AKC itself that's bad, it's the people and attention that it attracts to the breeds. If you search on the forum for a discussion about AKC recognition for the Shikoku, you'll find a pretty vigorous argument about the pros and cons of AKC recognition.
  • edited November -1
    Let's just hope that they all have a strong breed club.