Boar Training

edited June 2010 in Hunting & Working
Took the dogs out to a boar training facility. Posted it on my blog, but wanted to share some pics.

Japanese Boar

Kishu Baying Boar

Shikoku Baying Boar

Kishu and Boar

Comments

• edited November -1
    Thats sweet! One of the first photos I have seen with a pair of shikoku baying one up. Did Tatsu go? If so how did he do?
  • edited November -1
    Oh, wow, Shikoku - that's badass! Thanks for sharing!
  • edited November -1
    Awesome!!! Thanks Shigeru! Know you had a blast! :p ~
  • edited November -1
    it's great to look at pictures like these I bet you had fun I know I would have If I was there. =)

Thanks so much for posting these.
  • edited November -1
    Great shots! I demand more Shiku! I think I'm going to try and start my next Shikoku puppy on hunting...if I can get a consistant weekly or monthly schedule going with Gen. And hey...where's Haru-chan?
  • edited November -1
    That is GREAT to see some Shikoku out there doing their thing! Looks like a great day. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Thanks all, it was a good day and loads of fun. If any of you do come over here for a visit I'd be happy to take you out. Shikoku were actually in the majority, but to be honest other than one female Shikoku that did alright, the Kishu minority stole the show. Momo seriously kicked some butt.

@Corina The way Haru hunts is not conducive to training like this. She finds boar in the mountains, and quietly comes back to me, ears/tail down. She looks up at me, and I follow her to where the boar is. When she's out with Momo and Baron she will bark a bit to call the other dogs. But she's not a stopper dog at all. She actually doesn't like boar haha. Everyone wanted to see what she'd do in the pen, so I did take her in there. She did exactly what I told them she would. Walked in, had a sniff, walked over to where she could see the boar, turned around and looked at me, and done. She kept looking at me wondering why I wasn't shooting it.

Here's some more pictures.

Baron having a go.

Kishu Baying Boar

Shikoku Baying Boar

Shikoku Taking a Breather

Shikoku Baying Boar

Kishu Baying Boar

Can you see the Kishu?

Boar Chasing Kishu

My friend's Kishu female named Mari. She is a tiny Kishu, smaller than Haru, but has a lot of fight in her.

Kishu Ken Mari

Mari's owner's new puppy.

Kishu Pup
  • edited November -1
    Love that little Kishu! I am on my way out the door to do a little pig hunt today with Taro so I hope I can get one like that in the photo. Wow Mari almost looks identical to Yuki. Small statue, a real girly look. although Yuki doesn't show much fight for pigs though....
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Did they try mixing up the breeds at the boar training? One experienced Kishu with an inexperienced Shikoku for instance?

Can dogs owned by different owners be put together at the same time, or is there a strong tendency to re-direct?
  • edited November -1
    Damn, I need some boar here.
    Great shots. Nothing more awesome than watching a dog do what it was made to do. I especially like the working Shikoku!
  • edited November -1
    Hey Kevin Michigan area has tons of hunting preserves with russian boars. My two hogs came from a russian boar farm in Michigan so if you need some pigs for training I know just the place. There are surrounding states with good population of wild hogs also. You can always train your KBD to hunt hogs.
  • edited November -1
    That's news to me. I'll absolutely look into it. Which area in MI?
  • edited November -1
    Kevin try wildspiritguide.com, they have a good dog training system for hogs and bears. I have heard good stuff about them from guys from the hunting forums.
  • edited November -1
    Awesome. Thanks. You recommend training a dog on large game before encouraging her to branch out and become a more "combination" dog?