Soft crate recommendations anyone?

edited June 2010 in Products & DIY
Well Koda is a whopping 53 pds. and needs a new crate for travel and camping. I'm thinking of just getting him a soft crate. Has anyone purchased one that is sturdy and nice? If you have a recommendation I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Comments

• edited November -1
    Bella had this crate:
    http://www.petco.com/product/111502/ABO-Gear-Dog-Digs-Portable-Crate-for-Dogs.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_DogSupplies_CarriersCratesandKennels

I say HAD because she was able to break the zipper on it and escape, the little devil... Other than that, it was a great crate... Light, easy to carry, and for the most part sturdy... I just wish they had used metal zippers instead of plastic ones... Not sure if that would have made a difference or not, but it would have been a little more Shiba proof, I think, than plastic. haha.
  • edited November -1
    I have some collapsable crates that are from a company called PetGear. They are about 5-6 years old and going strong. I use them when traveling domestically. (Obviously when we go to Europe, the dogs have their airline crates) They are canvas and screen with two zip doors and a zip hatch on top. I think they are perfect for hotel rooms, visits to the homestead, friends' homes, local dog shows, training sessions, etc. I have no idea if the zippers are metal or plastic. A dog that is not 100% crate trained will emerge from these types of crates if motivated to do so. They will either shred the screen mesh sections, or split the zipper. I haven't had an issue...the only time I had an escapee at a dog show is when I stupidly forgot to zip it shut!
  • edited November -1
    I have the same as Sarah but I've never had a dog in it, only cats and a rabbit (not at the same time lol). I bought it on Craigslist and the people before us had dogs in it though.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. I am checking out PetGear. Koda won't escape if I put him in there. He is never too thrilled about sleeping in a crate at all, but he will deal with it. I'm looking for something for hotels, friend's houses, etc. It probably won't be used all that much unless for some reason he loves it.

Maymay is going to stay in her metal crate. It travels well, and she would rip through a canvas one. :-0

It's always hard to tell what is sturdy online and made well. I appreciate your advice.