Wolf dog hybrid?

edited January 2008 in Other Breeds

Ok I was on sell.com and looked up "dog" and came across this ad:

http://www.sell.com/22R5CP

What exactly is a wolf dog hybrid?? and why would they sell her for only $350?

Comments

• edited January 2008

A wolf bred with a Domesticated dog, usually a GSD or Northern Breed.

In fact, Dingos, Coyotes, Jackals and New Guinea Singing Dogs can all interbreed with canis familiaris or the domesticated dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canid_hybrid

• edited November -1

Wolf dog hybrids (aka Wolfdog) are dogs crossed with wolves. There are many variation and levels (generations) of wolf/dog crosses. Some of the breeds we know of today as just a breed of dog where originated by mixing wolf bloodlines in with a specific domesticated dog - like the German Shepard, Husky, Malamute and many more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfdog

As for why they would be selling her - no idea... if I had to guess she is from a backyard breeder.

• edited November -1
    Isnt that dangerous? I saw that some states prohibit having a "wolfdog"
  • edited November -1

Most states have laws against Wolfdogs, but only to a certain generation level where the wolf part of the dog can be considered diluted.

As for the danger, I dunno that their is that much danger other than you may produce a dog that has certain genetic behavioral issues since it would be difficult to screen wolves for temperament - but, having said that, I would think that Natural Selection would help to reduce the type of inbred behavioral issues we find in domestic dogs.

There is also an upside to breeding dogs with wolves called Heterosis (aka "hybrid vigor"), this concept says  that cross breeding would help to strengthen some of the positive traits of the dog (like muscle strength, intelligence, and immunity).

----

We where actually kinda discussing woldogs in this thread earlier last week:

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=427

• edited November -1

Love them to bits and will have one in my life within the next year :)

As for the price..I'll be getting a high percentage wolf for free or a couple hundred. But Errik being native kinda helps with that :P 

• edited November -1

Don't get me started on this, LOL!

I sometimes volunteeer for a wolfdog rescue. Wolfers, as they are sometimes known. They are the offspring of dogs and wolves, or have wolf within a few generations.

Problem is that wolves and dogs posture differently, and see their worlds a little differently. Most people expect to have a smart, obedient guard dog. Problem is that wolves are the worst guard dogs ever. To own one, you must remain alpha. If you are alpha, the dog expects YOU to protect them. Wolfers don't bark - usually. Like wolves, they are more timid and shun an overabundance of human intereaction. Their instincts are slightly more reactive. They're cautious, too. Most states won't allow them, and if they're even in a pound, are immediately euthanized. In short - people shouldn't breed wolfers. Life has limited options for them when it comes to good homes and what states allow and they end up euthanized or in shelters their whole lives.

Now, I can personally tell you that I LOVE most wolfers. Some make the best companions ever. But, I think we've all established here that none of us are the typical dog owner, either. LOL!

Full Moon Farm (fullmoonfarm.org ) is where I go whenever I'm in NC. If you need or want more information, email Nancy, who runs the refuge. She's the nicest woman you'd ever want to meet and very knowledgable. Tell her I sent you. BTW, I've found so many similarities with wolfers and my own little Ronan. It's like he's inbetween a wolfer and a dog.

Take a peek at her site to learn more.

• edited November -1

Michelle you said what I had been thinking about posting.  I have not met many Wolfers, but they are TRULY not for most people.  The idea of people owning them, in most cases, frightens me.  They are NOT dogs.  However as you stated the people on here who have shown interest in adding one to their family, are not your average dog owners.

As you said, the breeding of them, if done by careless people who then sell them to careless people, will most likely in the ending of the animals life.

• edited November -1
    Most of the wolfdogs I've seen for sale are clearly just huskies.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case with this one as well.  
  • edited February 2008

I was watching Nat Geo last night and there was a section on Designer Dogs and the Wolf-Hybrid was one of them. There is actually a Wolf-Hybrid dog rescue in New Mexico with over 200 wolf-hybrids. Basically what the staff was saying was that people want a dog that looks like a wolf but still is somewhat domesticated. People get sick of the wolf traits in the wolf-hybrid and abandon them or try to give them away. That rescue gets 150 emails and phone calls a month with people trying to get rid of their wolf-hybrids. The staff there strongly didn't recommend wolf-hybrids as pets. Although they're mixed with a domestic dog, there are still wolf traits deep down inside and can pop out whenever they want. They also said "if you want a wolf-hybrid, don't get one! Get a Huskie, GSD, or Alaskan Malamute.

Another lady has 4 wolf-hybrids, but they are illegal in her state. She is trying to change that by showing that wolf-hybrids are good animals and trainable and shouldn't be banned or illegal. She also stated that wolf-hybrids aren't for everyone and shouldn't be sold to anyone. She wished that there would be a wolf-hybrid course that a potential owner had to pass before being able to get a wolf-hybrid ( i totally agree with her, and maybe that for all breeds this should be done!). Anyways, basically she's been trying for a couple years to get these wolf-hybrids legal in her state, but no luck so far.

It was reported that 300 people are killed per year from dog attacks. 6% of them are from wolf-hybrids.

• edited November -1
    That 6% is because of STUPID owners!  That is all I am gonna say.Yell
  • edited November -1

no - 94% is from stupid people... then the 6% you can blame on inbreeding and puppymills! - IMO

----

I think I watched that show once too - did they show the the Caucasian Mountain Dog? Those clips from that dog where extremely hectic!

• edited November -1

This is that wolf sanctuary in NM:

http://www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org/

• edited November -1

Ahhhh! YES the Caucasion Mountain Dog!!! I was trying to remember all night what that crazy dog on the show was called!  Man....those things are vicious!  Even at 3 weeks old their aggression already shows.  I think the dog on the show was 180 lbs. and was dragging its owner to chase cars and strollers. EEEKK!

• edited November -1

"I think the dog on the show was 180 lbs. and was dragging its owner to chase cars and strollers. EEEKK!"

LMAO that made me giggle. For wolf hybrids and any other exotics, hell with all animals period, you just have to know what you're getting yourself into. I thought ferrets and sugar gliders were the cutest thing and researched them both (at different times in life) and after reading so much, I didn't want them anymore hehe. Their care and responsibilities weren't for me. I wouldn't have been able to give them the best life possible regardless of how cute their outward appearance they are.

Sure, I've been guilty of impulse buys. My cat Dahmer was one. I got him at a slightly inconvenient time too, when I didn't have a clear cut place to live. Stupid choice I know, but I don't regret it. I didn't give him up though and made it work. Now it doesn't mean I'm gonna make the same mistake again but I'm dedicated enough in my animals where I think I could make it work regardless of the obstacles.

• edited November -1
    I agree with Rina. One of the highest maintenance pets I ever had was my hedgehog. Tiny little hedge hog.
  • edited November -1
    LOL a Hedge Hog??  Thats interesting.  I think the most high maintenance animal i've had was my Koi Fish.  Man...those animals!!!  It doesn't help that my parents live in highly populated Coyote city and ate them all.  After we moved down the street, I tried doing the whole pond thing again, but after setting it all up, it was just too much work with not enough time.  So i left it at that...hahaha I should probably start on it again.
  • edited November -1

I used to have a 70 gal aquarium with loads of tropical fish, live plants, and the whole nine yards.  That was my biggest tank, and I also had a 30 gal and a 10 gal.  THAT was a lot of work.  It took half my saturdays just cleaning the tanks every week and the plants constantly needed trimming and so on.  Not to mention I fed the fish a lot of live and frozen foods.  All the water testing, balancing the chemicals, making sure there's not too much nitrogen, enough oxygen, getting the right combination of species so they didn't kill each other... I don't think I'll ever own a fishtank again!  At least not one that big and complex.  

Although I saw some hermit crabs at the petstore and had to stop myself from buying some.  My previous aquarium addiction has left me with five tanks of various sizes and I could take almost any small animal home at any time!  I've been wanting an angora rabbit (not an English angora though, they're so ridiculously furry they don't even have faces!) because I want to make my own yarn.  Someone has to stop me.  My ever-loving husband says I can have whatever animal I want. Surprised

• edited November -1
    LOL @ Heidi. After living with my 2 flemish giants, Errik and I couldn't think to own any other rabbits but flemmies. Errik would've never considered himself a rabbit person until Lilith and Chubbs came along. Angoras are cute when shaved but they're too furry for my taste. I wouldn't be able to take care of them properly enough where they wont have matts all the time.
  • edited November -1

I know exactly what you mean Heidi, I used to have Aquariums too - mostly saltwater. I had a 58 gal and 125 gal Reef tank - that was a lot of work!

The most difficult creature I have ever owned was a Blue Ribbon Eel - I had to feed it only live plankton and krill, and it constantly jumped out or ended up in my filter. He sucked... at one point I had a Ghost Ribbon, Blue Ribbon and Black Ribbon Eel - they all where a pain in the butt - tho they looked really coll together because would wind up around each other.

• edited November -1
    A friend of mine has a saltwater aquarium and every time I see it I have the urge to start up an aquarium, but then I remind myself that I already have enough dependents, lol.