Dave's first hunt.......success!

edited May 2010 in Hunting & Working
Dave came into San Diego late saturday night and next day on sunday, we did nihon ken walking and shooting. I just have to say that Dave is a really cool guy, he's willingness to learn new things and his ability to pick up a AR-15 and burn through a 100 rounds faster then you can count to five is super cool.

During the shooting trip, we did some last minut practice with the shotguns for the up coming morning hunt. I gotta say Dave is a crack shot with my Benelli shotgun. He was startingto make me look bad! So we got the shotgun selection squared away and went to purchase his California hunting license.

Monday morning at 0600, we met up in front of the hotel and we were off on Dave's first hunt with my trusty bird dog Hana (blk lab). We got to the hunting area and all I heard from Dave is how incredible the scenary was. The morning was a some what foggy but a great morning.

We began combing through the field in search of a Chukkar (hungarian partridge). The first few minutes were unsuccessful and I think Dave was starting to think that there were no birds in the area.

All of a sudden Hana's nose began to do the job and a nice fat Chukkar blew out of no where....boom,boom.......and the bird goes flying away. Hunter 0, birds 2. We began combing through again and another bird blew out of the wet damp grass......boom....no hit. Hunter 0 bird 3. Next bird blew out a few yards ahead from the last and I was able to nail it with one shot. The morning went on with some misses and some hits.

The final score came out as Dave:4 Chukkars, Gen:3 Chukkars, and Hana:1 Chukkars. All in all it was a great morning. After the hunt we cleaned the birds and showed Dave the basics on field dressing birds.

Enjoy the pics.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Ok lets try this again..
  • edited November -1
    another......
  • edited November -1
    and the end of the hunt.
  • edited November -1
    Pretty cool Dave!!! :D
  • edited November -1
    Cool pics, but Gen we have to teach you how to size them. ha ha ha

I'm still jealous that Dave didn't think to come to No. California, and if he did didn't come and see me. :-P
  • edited November -1
    Good work guys! Wish I could have been out there with you.
  • edited November -1
    yeah I have no idea about resizing, I really need PC instructions. I forgot a camera so I took the photo with my crackberry.

Shigeru one of these days you really need to make it out here. We had an absolute blast and Dave was like a kid at a candy store.
  • edited November -1
    AWESOME!!!! Glad you all had fun!

Now Gen, when you coming down here so WE can go hunting? :p

*so envious of Dave right* ~
  • edited November -1
    Hana makes that picture look great too!
  • edited November -1
    Great pictures glad you two had fun looks like you got a good amount of partridges.

My dad taught me to shoot a pistol and I've used a shotgun not sure what type for clay pigeon shooting it was fun to do. =)
  • edited November -1
    Way to go, Dave!

I bet Lucy and Joey were a bit envious of your hunting trip. :)

Thanks for the pictures, Gen!
  • edited November -1
    Good hunt! Now let's see some photos of you guys eating them!!
  • edited November -1
    Coming soon, I packed Dave with deer meat, pig meat, and Chukkar breasts so once he gets to a place where he can cook he should be posting up the dishes.

Also I am planning a large scale Chukkar and pheasant hunt on the 30th if any one is interested to come out and hunt. I have 4 shotguns available and the cost is about $50.00 per person and it includes ammo and birds.
  • edited November -1
    If I could get there I would so take you up on that.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for posting the pics Gen!

I had a blast! You were a fantastic host and I learned a LOT from you. I have been interested in bird hunting for a while and I have to say, I'm totally hooked. Seeing Hana work was awe inspiring. She clearly LOVES to be out there and it was fascinating to see her instincts play out.

I think there is going to be a bird dog in my very near future. :-)
  • edited November -1
    I'm super glad you had fun Dave! I'm telling you look into those pointing Labs, you will have a great bird dog with one of those pups. When the heck are you gonna start your big game hunting NK's? I will ship one of my pigs out to you for training.