Nihon ken in games and movies
  • akitariseakitarise
    lol while i was searching youtube I found this clip of a shiba in silent hill 2. The doggy song cracked me up :)

• CaliaCalia
    LoL, I love that silent hill alternate ending:)
    Post edited by Unknown User at -0001-11-30 00:00:00
  • akitariseakitarise
    A shiba is shown towards the end of the ad.
  • AraksAraks
    hahaha, that silent hill ending was my favorite. I started cracking up when I saw it :)
  • akitariseakitarise
    the shiba is so cute :)
  • jm1613jm1613
    That last video was super funny! Good finds.
  • shishiinushishiinu
    There was a NHK documetary on NK and how they are used today. I'm trying to find it some where but no luck but I do have my family in Japan looking for a copy of the show.Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    If you're talking about the show that aired on NHK last month, I've got it on DVD. Only problem is it's got that stupid copyguard junk on it since it's recorded off the new digital television. I was able to record a limited amount of copies, and have given out most of those already. It's a shame, wanted to upload it to Youtube or some such.
  • shishiinushishiinu
    Dude any way of getting a copy? I have some tech geeks at my work that I might beable to bribe in making me some copies. I have NHK here but they only show limited listings and that show was one that was aired for Japanese broadcating only.Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
  • SangmortSangmort
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    I'll send you a copy, Gen. See if your guys can crack it for you. If I put a bit more time into it I may have been able to figure it out, but as it is I got bored after a few hours/failures.
  • NekopanNekopan
    There are two Nihon Ken in the game Taiko Drum Master (Taiko no Tatsujin) named Inu and John.

• ala-chanala-chan
    OMG!
    That Silent Hill Ending is just SO ridiculous!!!
    I'm gonna buy that game and go get the ending! :D
  • NekopanNekopan

Besides being a really cool video, it has a Shiba in it (though the coat colour reminds me of a Shikoku). The bulldog made me laugh so hard, Jack totally makes that face when we toss treats to him.
  • That was funny!
  • akitariseakitarise
    lol I thought this commercial is funny Its a shiba i think

Super patient shiba!!!

LOl same shiba! I love this dog!

lol diet dog :)
  • akitariseakitarise
    I'm not sure what this is about but i noticed a akita? in the story. Can someone please translate it?
  • shishiinushishiinu
    akitarise: The story is called Sadaroku and Shiro. Its a stroy about a Matagi hunt named Sadaroku and his Matagi Akita named shiro. Well Sadaroku has a special hunting permit that allows him to hunt outside of the prefectural boundry. Well the hunter and Shiro goes out hunting one day and Shiro finds a blue phased wild hog. Sadaroku fires a shot on the pig and when he finds the pig, Sadaroku finds that the pig he shot was a sow with piglets.

Sadaroku is on his way out of the hunting area where most people are not allowed to hunt. Sadaroku comes across a couple of Samurai from another area. When the Samurai asks why Sadaroku is in a area where he is not allowed to hunt, Sadaroku tells them that he has permission from the shogun himself. Sadaroku reaches for the hunting permit but is unable to find it. Sadaroku is taken before a Shogun from the area where he is hunting and Sadaroku is condemmed to be executed.

While Sadaroku is in jail, Shiro runs to get the hunting permit but when Shiro returns Sadaroku has already been executed. Shiro drags Sadaroku's body back to the house but Shiro looses his strenghth where they found the sow and gives one long howle before passing away. Its a famous story and my Dad ready me the story when I was like 3 or 4. I still have the same book that I had as a child and now I read it to my son.

Great story.Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
  • shishiinushishiinu
    Oh by the way I was watching Nagareboshi Gin with my son last night and I noticed that the story line has the Akita (Gin, Riki, Shiro, Fuji), Hokkaido (Hakurou), Kishu (Akame and his fam), Kai (The Kai brothers), Shikoku (Mutsu brothers), and the Tosa (Benisakura). not sure if there is a shiba in the mix but I think there might be. I just thought I would mention it.Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
    Post edited by shishiinu at 2010-06-02 23:35:52
  • akitariseakitarise
    Thank you shishiinu :) The story of the legendary Shiro is so sad. the loyalty of a dog always amazes me..
    Out of curiosity does the original matagi akita still exist?
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
    Post edited by akitarise at 2010-06-03 11:12:33
  • ala-chanala-chan
    @akitarise:
    Yes, the softbank-dog is a Shiba... It is the families father transformed into a Shiba (no one knows why, I think) and there are plenty of those spots... They are sooo funny! :D
  • RedAutumnRedAutumn
    haha I remember seeing those softbank commercials on TV in Japan, super funny xD.
  • shishiinushishiinu
    I believe the Akita Matagi also called Akita nikei is now extinct. They were popular in the northern honshu areas like iwate and akita prefecture. The Akita nikei like the ones above were popular during pre WWII and thinned out after the war. Sucks that they could not get recognition early on to conserve the breed. They are a medium sized breed and the coloration is similar to the akita we have now but alot slender and smaller.

The dog in the center is a famous bear hunting dog, I could only dream to have a dog like that. Alot of times you will hear the term yamadashi inu (mountain dog). I have read that alot of the hunters would allow their dogs to come and go freely and alot of times the dogs would live in the mountains and hunt and feed them selves. This process made a more huntable dog but the down side was the dogs becoming wild and not easily kept as a pet.Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    @akitarise and Gen

Last week when over at my friend's place he pulled out an old album with pictures of Matagi dogs he took in Akita a few years ago. While it's anyone's guess whether they're 'real' Akita Matagi, there's a guy up there that still hunts/breeds his dogs. Apparently he's had them for over 40 years. I was wide eyed looking at the pictures. Will be visiting my friend's again to borrow the pictures/books to scan.
  • shishiinushishiinu
    Holy crap! yeah post up them photos. Thats super rare if they are really akita nikei dogs. Every book I have read has said they are long gone but like any thing there could be the possibility of them still around hunting or just the very existance of the legendary Matagi ken gets me super excited.Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
  • lol While i was watching the trailer for Marmaduke i noticed that there is a japanese akita that stars in it as well :)
    Post edited by akitarise at 2010-11-28 18:41:25
  • AraksAraks
    hmm, I'd never noticed the JA in the trailer. I always got excited over the little min pins, but then again, I'm biased :P haha
  • There are about 5 or 6 NK in the game "Suikoden III"

A japanese commercial with one of the dogs:

Game guide on how to get all the dogs. (They are playable characters in the game.) :

Post edited by Jessica_Rugg at 2010-12-05 01:05:23
  • CaliaCalia
    LoL, I love the Suikoden shibas...Got them all in the game and used to use them in the playhouse
  • the ds game Nintendogs has a shiba, in america is on "Labs and friends"

there is also a black and tan one :)
  • MirkaMMirkaM
    Nagareboshi Gin is the reason why so many teenage want a Kai here in Finland. And I just can't stand when they starts their emails telling me how they love Kai brothers in this anime. And they have decided that they want Kai because it's so brave and fearless according this anime.
    This same anime has been my ultimate favorite children's series (I know it quite cruel but it never bothered me). To be honest I only just realized that there was Kai when I already had Ife.
    Kai will lay down its life to protect its master.
    photo banneri_zpsc6e1d74e.jpg
    Kennel Gekkoo No: http://gekkoonoen.webs.com/index.htm
  • I just watched the first episode of N.G. the other day after some one showed me Ginga Densetsu Weed (Its just so funny to watch). I like Nagareboshi Gin more maybe, or I can just take it more seriously I guess. Weed's animation was just too hilarious.

I did notice most the dogs seemed to have really peculiar markings for the breeds the were supposed to be in Weed.

: )
  • Nagareboshi Gin is way better animated and more realistic, more attention to detail. And yes, the story is also more believable ;) Nagareboshi Gin was my favorite series as a kid, and I love the akitas, but at that time I thought the breed were made up, I didn't realize till later that they were actually real ;) Haha...

My initial interest in NK is because of the Ginga series! So thanks to Yoshihiro Takahashi for creating them! RESPECT TO YOU! :D
    Tanja
    ... all the way from hillbilly Denmark ;)
  • Oh, we have a danish site (though in english) dedicated to the Ginga series, and there's a lot of info, incl. episode list, breeds in the series, and loads more. Take a look if you'd like: www.gingasite.net
    Tanja
    ... all the way from hillbilly Denmark ;)
  • KadmosKadmos
    In Naruto, I'm assuming the Ninken ("Ninja Dog") Shiba is the dog that bears his name.
    Post edited by Kadmos at 2010-12-16 10:21:42
  • Oh! I forgot to add foopets.com to the list. they have a white shiba inu that you can adopt for a pet.
  • so cute shiba :)

lol when i saw this akita!!
    Post edited by akitarise at 2010-12-20 01:33:28
  • akitariseakitarise
    I think there are some nihon ken in this part of the movie. I spotted a kishu and a kai ken. Btw this is a great movie :) the scenes with the dogs starts at the 6:48 mark
    Post edited by akitarise at 2012-07-13 19:40:29
  • AraksAraks
    If any of you guys have played the recent games by the Tales series (Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Xillia) you'll notice that the dogs you encounter across the cities look just like shibas, and specifically in Xillia, the dogs are larger and white, which makes me guess Kishu, Ainu, or Akita.
  • SayaSaya
    Nihon ken spotting on some games I've been playing. :3

First one is white colored one on tales of xilia the game also has B&T colored ones too.
    The size of the dogs are bit bigger so I think they could be different breed like Araks said Akita, Ainu or kishu..
    photo DSC_0097_zpscc740378.jpg

photo DSC_0101_zpsb6b7cf0d.jpg

My new game fantasy life has pet option there is few choices a cat, dog, bird and dragon.

I got three shiba inu B&T, cream and red.

Pets kinda act like party members which they help fight monsters.
    photo HNI_0073_zps4a6e5646.jpg

photo HNI_0078_zps0a502ef2.jpg

photo HNI_0080_zpsf09e2ae2.jpg
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I might have to check out the game! I like it when dogs can join the party as a real member (like in Dragon Age).

And wow, that Akita in the video above looks a lot like Zora! (And that was well before Zora was born or even thought of! :) )
    Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • CrispyCrispy
    I know they were mentioned in a different thread, but the Nihon Ken in Okami-- there's a Kai Ken (Hayabusa) and Shiba Inu (Umetaro) for the native breeds and a Tosa Inu (Teikou) and a Karafuto Ken (Takenosuke) for other Japanese breeds. I think one of them is supposed to be a Japanese Spitz, too... I don't remember what that one's name is.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • Yes there is also a collie and a pointer. At first I was surprised at how big takenosuke was compared to ammy. Then when you reach Hokkaido there are bigger wolves there too. This makes me think that ammy is a Honshu wolf. There are also several adorable shiba inu you can feed throughout the game.

In the movie sword of the stranger there is a shiba inu called tobimaru who is a fighter and actually kills a man. He is drawn pretty realistically. However his growls are that of a wolf and not a shiba.

Wolf children features a few Honshu wolves

Ururu's forest stars a ezo wolf pup(live acted by a hybrid wolf)

Shiroi senshi Yamato is a dog fighting manga by yoshihiro featuring two karafuto ken, several Akita inu, some tosas, and two Shikoku inu. He also wrote kacchu senshi gamu; a samurai dog manga featuring kishu inu, Matagi inu, and a Kai ken. Yoshi is currently working on "ginga densetsu akame" which features normal and yushoku kishu inu.

Post edited by Ketsuryu at 2014-11-03 19:06:43
  • I think a Akita mix is going to be in the new Annie movie.
  • ZinjaZinja
    It looked like a Shiba to me.
    1:01 looks like a mix. 1:57 looks like a Shiba butt.
    -Joe
  • Well I only got a glimpse. And doesn't its head seem too large? Must be a mix with something

Edit: found an image

Looks like a random mix breed pup. Maybe a NK/shepherd of some sort. Very nice dog though
    Post edited by Ketsuryu at 2014-11-21 19:45:35
  • SayaSaya
    I forgot about this game having Tosa.. I just bought it last weekened.. just did the tutorial and played some of the Pomeranian stage. can't wait to be a bigger predator.. lol

My little pomeranian takes down chickens, cats and rabbits.. I tried to attack a cow, but got killed. Not sure if there is any Nihon ken like shiba or anything like that, but I seen Tosa in the trailer for the game..
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2014-12-16 15:00:31
  • @brada1878 Brad's tosa need giant bows.
    photo Picture 3_zps4y5sotml.png Kai to the Core!
  • CaliaCalia
    Makes me sad that they are using a shaved dog in Annie, would probably look more NK with its full coat.
  • zandramezandrame
    I noticed that too, @Calia!

Found this article. Doesn't say WHY she was trimmed, but I'm guessing they wanted her to look "different" from the previous incarnations of Sandy. She's supposedly a 6 year old retriever-chow mix from a NY shelter.

Marti was the 16th dog to audition, and, with her fluffy chow hair trimmed down, she scored the role.
    http://nypost.com/2014/12/14/meet-the-rescue-dog-playing-sandy-in-annie/
  • NavyDogNavyDog
    @saya what game is that with the tosa? I really like the art style!
  • CaliaCalia
    That game looks like Tokyo Jungle
  • SayaSaya
    It's from a ps3 game called tokyo jungle it's on the playstation network and also sold in a bundle game which comes with few other networks games on the disc for $19.99 or something like that.

It's fun and can also be frustrating.. My last play in survival did pretty good till I picked a fight with two golden retrievers.. thought there was just one, but there was another nearby which came to aid of the one I attacked. I'm still learning best way to survive. It'll probably get better once I unlock the bigger predators.
    http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Best-PSN-1-Playstation-3/dp/B001ARHJE2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418844559&sr=8-3&keywords=tokyo+jungle

trailer for the game
    http://youtu.be/zasefwWK5fA

This video shows kinda basics of game play
    http://youtu.be/QEd6wFDI7Og

You can get clothes to put on your animal gives stat boost for wearing clothes so I guess one of the clothes option for tosa is that.

My Pomeranian has a small olive green dog shirt.

Photobucket
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    So I was watching an episode of Kamisama Kiss (Kamisama Hajimemashita) and noticed a suspicious billboard in the background of one scene...

NK in Kamisama Kiss

Seems like a Kai-kun Soft Bank reference to me...
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
    Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2015-01-10 03:40:10
  • zandramezandrame
    Ahh, I didn't catch that @WhoBitMe!

But speaking of Soft Bank, there's an awesome joke in the first episode of Hoozuki no Reitetsu.

relating to Shiro, who's undoubtedly a Hokkaido
  • Has anyone seen Claire Denis' L'intrus? I keep wondering if Trebor's dogs are AA or a nihon ken mix. Their profiles, tails, and their expression in the scene [begin spoiler] where they run after his car [end spoiler] really makes me think NK.

Note: For anyone not familiar with Claire Denis, the idea of spoilers doesn't apply that well, given her fondness for elliptical and primarily visual storytelling.
  • CrispyCrispy
    They look like Japanese Akita - just in the movie poster/promo stuff. I haven't seen the movie. Maybe I should watch!
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • @crispy - I thought so initially, but then I looked at some show photos of JA and the fur seemed to be much longer on the show dogs. I have to admit while watchin the movie I did wonder how they managed to get the dogs well trained enough to have them running wild off leash for the film but not actually run off where they didn't want, given the scope of the shots and the budget they were working with for the film. I was just surprised to see what looked like NKs in a film that starts in the Jura mountains.

[off-topic]

A bit sad but the dogs are barely in the film. That's actually pretty much true for everyone in the film aside from the main actor. I found the film beautiful and it stays with you, but I would only recommend it if you are either already familiar with (and a fan of) her work, or if you are fine with films without narrative structure. I think of her work as kind of elliptical, impressionistic tone poems made by a sensualist. I've seen her work compared to Nuri Bilge Ceylan, and Carlos Reygadas but I have not seen either of their work yet. I've seen her compared to Terrence Malick too, but Malick's films by comparison (to this one) are cluttered with dialogue and narrative framework. She's a very fascinating and talented director, but her films will try the patience of some.
  • SayaSaya
    Bumping this I spotted a shiba inu on persona 5.

You can listen in on owners conversation something like older lady says lets go home it's dangerous out during evening or something like that. young girl says no dog wants to walk some more and he'll protect us. something like that forgot what the dog's name ended with a taro forgot the first part.
    Here's a few pictures of the pup. It's very minor. Persona 3 had a shiba on it.
    http://imgur.com/a/WoqVw
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2017-04-15 23:01:19

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion