hunting wabbits

edited April 2010 in Hunting & Working
how would one go about teaching a kai ken to hunt rabbits, when the time comes to get my own kai ken i would like to teach it to do this.

Comments

• edited November -1
    This is probably the more easier hunt training but can be the hardest to get game since rabbits like to dive into holes. Take a pup out to a area known to have an abundance of pups and teach it to chase the rabbits. If you can take a small bore shotgun out with you and and for the first few minutes fire off the gun here and there to get the dog used to the gun fire. Bring treats with you to gie the pup each time the gun goes off.

The basic fundamental imo is to get the pup to chase the rabbit your way or in front of you so you can shoot the running hare. You must be really careful not to fire at the dog trailing behined the rabbit. Another way is to use the dog as a coursing dog and allow the dog to chase the rabbit down and allow it to kill it on its own. coursing will require a really agil dog that can catch a rabbit.

Its some what eay to get into and your dog will usually love chasing those thing. I recommend getting a over and under 20 gauge or a semi auto 20 gauge for better follow up shots.

Hope this helps
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, I like the coursing idea better.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, I like the coursing idea better.
  • edited November -1
    I would have to say that it is probably inherent for a Kai to want to chase and kill anything that runs. Koda will catch anything, squirrels, birds, possoms, a bat, and he even caught a mole the other day.

Last week, he was sitting nicely next to the neighbor cat when it ran off. It was on! The second that cat took off it became prey and he was going to catch it. Note to self. Don't trust Koda with cats outside.

My girl will chase down anything, but I don't think she is patient enough for small game that could go into a hole. I think she would do better with deer because she's fast, agile, and doesn't tire out. The little game annoys her though. She loses her cool and gets all antsy and whiney.
  • edited November -1
    Marc-B: I read your question and it struck me as funny! Our experience with Josephine is that she came "pre-trained" on rabbits... She loves to hunt birds, too, and that seems to be due to pre-training. (I guess some would call this instinct!)... Anyway, there is a historic thread out here discussing Josephine's hunting and killing a rabbit, complete with pictures. She also has chased down and killed a partridge (some call it a grouse), also without any special training -- i think that story may be featured in one of my historic threads, as well. My husband dressed and cooked both of these for her, so I think that reinforces her desire to see if she can get more. All he has to say to her to send her after a rabbit is "get the bunny", and away she goes! As others have noted, success is difficult because they seek shelter, i.e. hole in the ground in rural areas, and decks or garden sheds in the city! That doesn't stop her from digging and trying to get them, though, when she can! The command is actually helpful so she does not bolt every time she sees a small animal, though.

Hope you get your Kai, soon. I think you will be surprised at the instinctive hunting going on!