Comments

• edited November -1
    It could be. It's got some weird conformation going on, hyperextension in it's front left leg there and it looks kind of scared :(
  • edited November -1
    huh. I wonder. Though honestly, in the pics people have posted of their dogs, I only know it is a Kai because I'm told it is. I'm not familiar enough with them to tell. But poor dog--does look scared!
  • edited November -1
    Sure looks like a Kai... definitely an injured doggie. Hope there is an adoptive person out there who can help with medical attention and love for healing....
  • edited April 2010
    Looks like it could be a kai...but it could also be something else...like a black shepherd.

I'd say it'd be hard to tell til he grew up. ~
  • edited November -1
    Looks small to be an 8 mo. shepherd. We need to send a florida person who has met kai ken down to get a real life opinion *COUGH!*OSY* and report back.

sorry, something stuck in my throat there. weird.
  • edited April 2010
    OMG! He's in FL?!?! LOL *completely missed that* I also didn't see the 8 months thing :x

ETA: OMG, he's 15 minutes from my house! D: If someone wants him, I don't mind picking him up & fostering for a while ;) ~
  • edited November -1
    You should go check him out!
  • edited November -1
    Go for it, Osy! He certainly looks like a Kai to me, I think he's just crouched in an odd position in that picture.
  • edited November -1
    First off.....I'm not taking him! lol. Osy it's your turn! :-)

It's a terrible terrible pic. I'd like to see one of his tongue if he's being called a Chow mix. I'm guessing there is some dark pigment on there that is identifying him as a Chow. I can tell the difference between a Chow and Kai tongue in a second.

He could be. There was a male Kai in Florida that was up for adoption about a year ago? Named Kuma I believe? That was said to be with a BYB, intact, and had become aggressive. I might be getting 2 Kuma's mixed up (it's a very very common name for Kai's), but I believe that he was put down.

Really a long stretch, but the point was that there was some Kai breeding going on down there supposedly. At least one male/female pair.
  • edited November -1
    Ok guys,

I'm heading down there to check him out. Just to let you all know, this IS a kill-shelter. Sunday is his last day.

The dog supposedly has some people aggression. I'm going to head down to check him out, & get some pics of him.

I'll keep you all updated. Let me know if you guys know anyone who's interested in him. ~
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for checking him out Osy...

Let us know what you find out... Aaaaaannnnndddd..... Maybe you could foster him???? :)
  • edited April 2010
    Well just got back from checking him out.

I don't think he's a kai...he could be, but I don't know...he looks a little more shepherdy / labish to me. He's a big boy, maybe around 40 - 45 lbs. They wouldn't let me take him out of the kennel as he is "people aggressive." He was a stray, & I don't think he's "people aggressive" just scared out of his wits. When we got too close to him, he'd lay down & start shaking like crazy :\

Here's some photos...have until 3pm tomorrow [ est. time ] to pull him if anyone wants him. Let me know. I don't mind fostering for a while, but we wouldn't be able to keep him.~

• edited November -1
    Oh, poor boy. He does look kind of like a chow/lab cross I had years ago....
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, I mean, he COULD be a kai, but I'm not really that convinced. I think it's more likely he's some kind of mix.

He was a stray so they know nothing about him. He was picked up on the 11th.~
  • edited November -1
    He looks kinda Kai-ish in the second one. :-)

Thanks for getting some pictures of him! I hope your first shelter experience wasn't too traumatic. :-/
  • edited November -1
    He does have a kai-ishness to him...but there's something about him that doesn't look like one. [ maybe it's the white dusting on his muzzle? ]

It was horrible Dave :( ~
  • edited November -1
    Does he have tiger stripes or a blotted tongue. Koda was more than 45 pds. at 8 months. lol. I don't think that matters. There are 100% Kai's in the US who are 55-65 pds.
  • edited November -1
    I wasn't allowed to take him out of the cage, so no idea about the tongue thing.

The guy who brought me to him doesn't think he's 8 months old, he think he's two years old or so. ~
  • edited November -1
    Oh, & he doesn't have any brindle at all. He's a pretty solid-black colour. He did remind me a little bit of Brad's Kona...

He didn't stand up the whole time, & kept walking low to the ground, so I didn't get to see his body very well either.

He also has a pretty bad flea infestation, some areas of fur are gone or thinned out. [ normal for a stray ] ~
  • edited April 2010
    Maymay's coloring (her stripes) are thick and only in some areas like on her front and hinde legs. Doesn't look as good as Koda's.

His eyes are kind've big for a Kai's. JMO
  • edited November -1
    Personally, he doesn't look 8 months, especially with that white on his muzzle. I get this feeling he is more like 8 years
  • edited November -1
    Maymay has white on her muzzle like that at 1 1/2 years. And I have all her vet records confirming her age. My vet says it was probably because of the abuse she endured.
  • edited November -1
    Osy-

If they think he's part chow, do an internet search and see if there is a chow rescue in FL area that might be able to take this guy and work with him. At least see if they can evaluate him.
  • edited November -1
    I think he looks like he could be a Kai. The weight and look of the fur seem to fit...

Osy, I agree that he doesn't look so much vicious from your pictures, but instead sad and afraid and lonely, and most likely in pain. Looks like he has not even had a good bath... has the shelter tried to clean him up at all? Hard to understand why he is crouching so low... is he suffering from physical injuries, or some deficiencies that are making his joints and muscles not work well? Maybe beaten into submission, by his circumstances or by a cruel owner?

Sadly, maybe those are questions the shelter does not pursue since they are a kill shelter. Hope someone can take him, clean him up, give him a full vet inspection and lots of love. I think he will come around, and then better breed identification might be possible... whether or not he is a Kai, hopefully he will prove to be a loyal pet with the right kind of TLC... Thanks for checking him out, Osy, and thanks for helping him out if you can see your way to doing it....
  • edited November -1
    I looked & haven't found any for the central florida area :\ ~
  • edited November -1
    No, I definitely did not see a vicious dog in there. They haven't done anything for him other than to stick him in isolation. When we approached his kennel his first instinct was to run to the other side. Then, when the guy blocked off half the kennel, he laid down & started to shake completely. Even the guy said he looks scared, not vicious. He didn't snarl, snap, bite, or even bark.

He's got a bad flea problem & some possible skin issues. [ dermatitis is what they said ]

If someone wants him, let me know asap & I'll go pick him up tomorrow [ last day before he's put down ]. I don't mind holding onto him for a month or two, [ & getting him to the vet & starting to re-socializing him ] but unfortunately, he won't do well with the pup we have coming soon, so I can't take him unless I know he has a home to go to before July.

He could be a kai...there was no immediate kainess about him, but again, I'm not one hundred percent sure.

As to the way he "crouched" I don't know if it's a health issue or because he was that scared. I know Dad's cat does the same "crouch away" thing when she gets scared.

It's sort of like a very low-to-the-ground run. ~
  • edited November -1
    About the white fur around the mouth, a lot of Kai get it pretty early. Haru already has a glint of white and she's only a year and 3 months.

Poor guy, looks like he's gone through a lot. Don't see much Kai there though.
  • edited April 2010
    Osy-

Here is the link to the National Chow Chow Rescue. They say to contact them if there doesn't appear to be a Chow rescue in one's immediate area.

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/morersc.htm

If you decide to pull this poor guy, contact them and explain your situation (new dog incoming) and ask if they know of someone who might be able to pick up fostering duties after you.

(I don't know how it works in FL, but in CA if a dog can't be put up for adoption to the public, then it can be released to a rescue. If this is the situation with this guy, you may need to have a rescue "designated" in order to "pull" him.)

Best I can come up with under the circumstances...
  • edited November -1
    The "greying" of the muzzle is genetic (at least it stands true for Malinois, I don't think it's any different for another dog), this can happen at any age =).
  • This is a old thread sorry for bring it up, but I saw this listed as shiba inu and dunno looks like a mix or maybe something..

This reminds me sorta of a kai ken or maybe sometype of lab mix I dunno.
    http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20492322

This one just doesn't seem like a shiba inu maybe a mix, but never seen brindle shiba pit shiba mix maybe?
    http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20471437