South African Boerboel: My other mild obsession...

edited May 2012 in Other Breeds
While we are on the subject of my obsessions, here is my other breed obsession. The South African Boerboel, this is a breed I looked at first before I decided to go with Blue (CC). I went with a CC because I knew Blue's breeder and I know the temperament quality they produce. I also had a hard time finding a Boerboel breeder I really liked.

I like the idea of "farm dogs", so I seem to be drawn toward the old-world farm dog breeds like the Cane Corso, American Bulldog, South African Boerboel (Boerboel literally means "farmer's dog"), and Bullmastiff. So, that is where this obsession came from, I also have a small obsession for the AB but not enough of one to annoy you guys with the details of that breed too. :o)

http://www.selectreserveboerboels.com/Madala/Madalas pictures/Copy of Madala.jpg
http://www.selectreserveboerboels.com/

The SAB is a cool dog, Dave and I visited a kennel on my last visit to Atlanta. Those dogs were MASSIVE, not super tall but VERY thick and heavy. The ones we met had a nice personality but I didn't love their "type" so much - a bit too much like Bullmastiffs (which is a foundation breed for the SAB). I like the leaner working variety of the SAB.

This is the type I really like:
http://www.dynastysaboerboels.com/picts/Buddy025.jpg
http://www.dynastysaboerboels.com/buddy.htm

Here's a nice write up on the breed: http://www.bulldoginformation.com/south-african-boerboel.html

I like these BBs too...

In all the breed description I see a line like this one: "This dog is the most protective dog breed that is not aggressive."

^^^Does that make any sense to you? It doesn't to me, but I find the term "aggressive" to be kinda confusing, especially in dogs.

Anyway, there ya go, my other obsession. :o)

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    beautiful play video- such good body language all around :)
  • edited November -1
    I've met 2 Boerboels. One was a 3 month old blue fawn male that a woman brought in see behavior to have it socialized and get it on the right track with training I believe. The other was a stunning, 1 year old intact fawn male (named Cujo, lol) that a family from Bloomfield Hills imported from South Africa to breed, but it ended up being diagnosed with Osteochondritis dissecans and needed surgery. OCD is genetic so they can't breed him unfortunately. This dog was one of the most striking, proportionate mastiffs I've ever seen, his head and paws were huge, in fact when he was laying in a run, still quite sedated after his procedure, I walked past him and leaned down to get a good look at him, his head was bigger than a bowling ball, quite large in proportion to his body. But what I noticed about this dog was his sense of calm and general laid back attitude for being at a vet's office, especially being a young dog. He seemed very observant and attentive to his owner, even with lots of commotion and barking around him.
    Have you met any in person Brad?
  • edited November -1
    I see your point about that phrase in the breed description--it is all over the place, word for word. I expect most of the writers using the phrase "This dog is the most protective dog breed that is not aggressive" are copying a statement from some original source without having much idea what it means. It is even used in a news article about an attack by three Boerbels in which they nearly dismembered a 13 year old boy (in St. Petersburg, Russia). Not exactly consistent with "not aggressive." Note that I am not suggesting anything about Boerboels level of aggression or lack therof, I don't know anything about what triggered in that attack, how the dogs were socialized or trained, what the boy or owner was doing, or if the breed was even identified correctly. The article is just an especially absurd example of unimaginative repetition of a boilerplate phrase to the point of meaninglessness.

I don't know what it means either. Handsome dogs, in any case.
  • edited November -1
    I was waiting for you to bring these guys up! :p ~
  • edited April 2010
    @Kelly - Yes I have met a few SABs, I met some with Dave, and then I met a rescue when I was in ATL. I took some pics and videos of the rescue and helped find him a new home, he was great. Had I driven to ATL I would have taken him home, I really liked him.

The SABs I met with Dave were a bit too Bullmastiff-looking for me, here is one of them...
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/4099381271_cf5cc34128.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2765/4099377299_2ef7512d55.jpg

Then here was the rescue I helped...
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/4099360395_f699cdd2c2.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2691/4100114418_f5ed0d023e.jpg

I'd love to get a female SAB one day to work to work with Blue in the summer. The COs get a siesta in the summer, we plan to keep them in the barn during the hottest times (11am-4pm) to protect them from heatstroke. Then the COs are out all night (3pm-10am). During the CO siesta Blue is on the job, out guarding the yard. It would be nice to have a female to guard with Blue in the summer. One day I may do that, and I'd love for her to be a SAB (JJ, our female CC didn't workout).

Before we add another Mastiff I think we have to get the second barn built as we can't fit another Mastiff in our house. LOL... We plan to have the second barn built with heat so puppies and cold intolerant dogs can be in there at night in winter (can drop to -20 here at night). Our current barn is insulated but not heated, which is fine for any of the NK and CO we need to keep out there.

----

@Stranger - Do you have a link to that article? I'd like to read it... but yea, I agree with you, seems nearly dismembering a 13 year old boy sound like "aggression" to me. :oT

----
  • edited November -1
    Um, duh, I missed where you said you and Dave visited the kennel in ATL. A female SAB would compliment Blue nicely, the taller leaner ones look nicer and more put together than the bulkier ones, Cujo was a leaner guy, he didn't seem to have a lot of wrinkles on his face either. I like the natural tails too.
  • edited April 2010
    @Brad -- the actual article I found initially had so little info (it was in a "news for kids" website--go figure) it is hardly worth the bother: http://juniorsbook.com/activity_workshop.asp?aid=3410

It references a site, fontanka.ru, that seems to be only in Russian, but there are slightly more informative articles in the English editions of Pravda: http://english.pravda.ru/hotspots/crimes/107907-dog_attack-0/ and the St. Petersburg Times: http://www.sptimesrussia.com/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=29400

The pravda article also includes the "most protective, etc" catchphrase, which, as far as I can determine, first appeared on the internet in the Wikipedia entry for Boerbels. The oldest web page I could locate with the phrase, from 2007, actually identifies Wikipedia as the source: http://www.copperheadboerboels.com/Breed.php?ContentID=9

None of the articles give a ton of context, but it appears that the actual owner was away and left the dogs in the care of an elderly woman, who, apparently against instructions, decided to walk all of them at once. Unsurprisingly, she was unable to control them. What actually triggered the attack is not mentioned. There is also a description of a severe attack by an Akita the day before in the St. Petersburg Times article. :(

[edit]Found a lengthy blog post on fontanka.ru, here is a google translation. It reads a little oddly but the basics are pretty clear, in a lot more detail. There are also links in a panel on the left of the page with related articles.
  • edited November -1
    I'm not a huge fan of mastiffs (CC's excepted--I think they are beautiful)...I think it is the wrinkly face and drool that I find off-putting (since the ones I've known have been really nice dogs), but you know, I'm starting to come around to the idea of a farm dog, guardian type. I'd like to have a dog that could guard outside, keep away coyotes, etc. (sounds dumb, but it would be nice not to have to worry about the Shibas when they go out at night) I like the looks of the Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Anatolian Shepherds...

Sometimes I think I should just give up on akitas (aa or ja) and get some type of guardian dog and just have the Shibas for my NK love....

I'm not quite there yet. but I do see the appeal of a guardian dog.
  • edited April 2010
    For some reason the rescue boy reminds me of a much larger and buffer Ruby.
  • edited November -1
    Your next obsession will be Maltese or something.
  • edited November -1
    Jessika-LOL I can see that!
  • edited November -1
    Hello!

My first post, and I think I can help with the confusing statement about the Boerboel being "the most protective dog breed that is not aggressive". (@brada1878)

Firstly, must say that this is one breed I will never own - and I actually have a couple of reasons. But I will try to be as unbiased as possible :D.

As to the statement... The Boerboel LOOMS. He constantly watches. He won't easily show his teeth, or raise hackles to show that you are ticking him off, but you will also know when you do. You get the sense that he will protect what he values i.e. his family, whatever it takes, but he does not twine around your legs, snarling ad stiff-legged, get his point across. No mistake, he will show aggression sometimes - such as when he needs to prove his point.

I have met Boerboels both in and out of their home environment, and I have softened my stance on them a bit as well. The away from home situation, was where about 5 of them came in to the vet sick as hell - think 2 or 3 had biliary (tick bite fever) - but each and every one tried their best to rend and amputate, sick as they were. Granted, they were probably just as scared, but it did make an unfavourable impression.

At home, visiting friends and so in the city environment, we were mostly shooed indoors as quickly as possible, and if not, asked to just keep an eye on the dog . And keep children away from them. Again, not a very good impression there.

OK, end of the doom and gloom. The best example of the breed I actually met during a practical on a dairy/cropping farm, and he is also probably the best-adjusted dog I have ever seen. Though not family, he appointed himself as bodyguard, and strolled along while we went milking, checking the calves, etc. He watched that nobody untrustworthy came close to us (very relaxing for two girls), but at the same time watched us - didn't want us walking away with the stock. And I was suitably impressed. Overfriendliness was not encouraged though. We were allowed to scratch his ears, but anything more was only something his family could do. However, a small incident close to the end of the visit did make me wary again. We were outside the dairy, catching what tiny rays of sunlight we could, dog included, seemingly fast asleep. Think I turned my back on him for only a second, but in that timespan a farm labourer walked by just too close, and the dog went for him. And 10s later he was back to sunning himself. Despite this, he still is my favourite.

100_4849

Right, eventually, the point. In my opinion, the happiest Boerboel is one that has job, self-appointed or otherwise. And farm work, and farm guarding suits them best. City dogs I have found to be frustrated, and often the ones you do still need to keep an eye on.

This then my reasons for not wanting to own a Boerboel. I don't trust the breed. This may be due to years of being warned about them, but to me, they are too unpredictable. Another reason is that I also know that I won't be able to supply it with enough space and obligations to keep it happy. And I do not care to try and wrestle with a dog that might outweigh me, and force basic care upon it. Especially if I don't trust it.

Despite my prejudices, the best place to find out about the breed will still be the guys who care enough to breed with them, so here is the SA site: http://www.sabt.co.za/index.php . I see there is also a US link there...

:D
  • edited November -1
    @Lydia - Thanks for the "inside scoop" on the SAB. Its interesting to here a perspective from their native land and from someone who has experience with them in different settings as well. I'm not surprised to hear they do best on a farm, a setting they were "designed" for. Your description reminds me of our CO, they are trustworthy and solid dogs in the correct environment, but in the wrong environment they are surely a HUGE liability. Thanks for the input!

-----
  • edited November -1
    I have a training K-9 pal who has Boerboels. He swears that they are the BEST dogs to have and they are very, very, very good with his children. When strangers or visitors go to his house, he said that they are fine if one of the family members is home and inside the house with this visitor. However, should no one be home and a stranger comes to visit...BEWARE! They are excellent property guardians.

He has Malinois too, but he doesn't expect his Mali's to guard his property...that's the Boerboels job!
  • edited November -1
    @Corina - Is you SAB friend named "Tashi" by chance?

----
  • edited November -1
    I'm unfamilar with the name, "Tashi". Unless it's some kind of a nickname? The guy I'm referring to goes by the name of "Loi".
  • edited November -1
    Ok, then probably not the same person I know. Thanks!
  • edited November -1
    I met a SAB puppy this weekend. He was already getting close to 100lbs @ 6 months! Very cool dog though :)
  • edited November -1
    What??? Was he fat? That's such an impressive weight for 6 months. Sounds like he'll be a 200 pounder! WOW!

The idea of a 200lb dog really intrigues me, I mean Luytiy is 140lb and his REALLY BIG, I just cannot imagine a 200lb dog. It hurts bad enough with Blue or Luytiy steps on my toes by mistake, I can't imagine a 200lb dog doing it. Yikes!

----
  • edited November -1
    He was a little chubbier than he should have been , but he was by no means obese. His owners are expecting about 200 lbs =) I couldnt imagine it either.

They were with another mastiff friend and I watched as a female owner alpha rolled him for barking at another dog. Not something I would ever even THINK of doing!
  • edited November -1
    Mastiffs are such mushes with their owner, I can't imagine why anyone would want to (or feel the need to) alpha roll them, that seems kinda bullyish to me. What a shame. I'm sure it made the owner feel real tough, alpha rolling their big tough Mastiff - truth be told tho, Mastiff are uber-soft with their owners... If I even look at Blue wrong he will sulk.

----