Barking at hogs

edited April 2010 in Hunting & Working
After work today I decided to do some training for Taro and Riki using the hogs. I placed the boar in a cage and placed the cage in a bit of tall grass. I walked away from the cage and took the dogs to a spot about 70 yards and let them go.

Riki immediately took off in the direction fo the pigs and soon Taro followed. Once they reached the cage Riki barked his head off as the boar charged him through the cage. Taro caught on the began barking like crazy.

While Taro was barking, I slowly hooked Riki up to a lead and pulled him away, letting Taro do the barking by him self. Taro looked back a bit to see what we were doing but he just went back to barking and running around the cage.

I let that go on for about 10 minutes, praising him during the time he was barking, and pulled him off away from the cage. I let them calm down for a bit and gave all animals treats. I had sammi the rotweiler with me so I figure what the hell lets see what she does.....holy crap I may have a great catch dog.

Sammi barked and lundged at the cage a few times and tried to get at the pig. I think she has some potential so I may start working her also. After about half hour of settling down, I took Taro and walked off a bit further. This time I placed the cage in a little bit of a muddy cow pond and released Taro.

right away he took off up wind of the pig and caught the smell. He ran toward the cage and began barking at the hog. I again let it go on for about 10 minutes and took the dogs for a walk.

I figure I will do this about a dozen times once a week and once the hog reaches a good weight it will be go time for Taro. I took video's but just to respect others I won't post it.

It was a great day and I think Taro has every potential to be a great strike dog and Sammi may become a decent catch dog.

Comments

• edited November -1
    sounds like you had a good day.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah it was great, I am soooo proud of my pups and the way they handled them selves. I am a firm believer in the Hosoda line of Kishu kens, I just cant wait to take Taro on a good hunt in Norcal in June. We're gonna hunt a 600 acre ranch thats over populated with big tuskers.
  • edited November -1
    Dang. I want to see the videos!
  • edited November -1
    And by the way, congrats on possibly having a good catch dog out of nowhere!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Kevin, my only problem is convincing my wife to letting me put her up against some mean tuskers. I saw a youtube video on pig hunters in austria, there was a airdale and a rottweiler that was trained as catch dogs. Super cool.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, way to make your pops proud pups:)

If you do feel uneasy about posting the actual videos on the forum, why not have them uploaded to Youtube or other video sharing site a post the link to you account main page. That way those who really don't want to see the video won't have accidently seen it, and those who want to see can.
  • edited November -1
    I've got a friend who uses his 'pet' rotties as catch dogs, another who runs his doberman with Kishu, and yet one more who sometimes takes his Dane with his pack. If it works... :)

Good to hear Taro is having fun.
  • edited November -1
    I will post up the vids on youtube.......soon as I can figure it out.

Well I think Sammi maybe hunting with me from now although she is gun shy so I'm gonna have to watch that.
  • edited November -1
    Very cool