Dog Trotter

edited April 2010 in Products & DIY

Doggy Treadmill. Thought it was interesting. [ It's super expen$ive ] ~

Comments

• aykayk
    edited November -1
    This may be a safer treadmill, but I'm still skeptical that the dog can't hurt himself if he stumbles at top speeds. There's still quite a bit of momentum that the treadmill has and he'll get dragged until the friction of his body on the tread stops it.

Frankly, I hate the entire idea of doggy treadmills. How boring for the dog. And it's only using muscles that propel him forward, not balancing side to side or practicing agility.
  • edited November -1
    I actually thought it was kind of funny. Like a hamster wheel, but for doggies LOL

I've heard the dogs love it tho. ~
  • edited November -1
    Honestly I see treadmills and I think fight rings. They tend to go hand in hand. Personally, unless someone is physically challenged I say, go walk your dog.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, I wouldn't use one. I'd rather be out and about hiking around with my pup. I wonder what their intended purpose is for tho? I mean, $1500 is a lot to pay for a dog to run. ~
  • edited April 2010
    Is that a pinch collar on the dog in the vid?

Anyone notice the dog closes his/her eyes while running on it? Do dogs do that when they run normally?

There is a CO breeder that exercises their dogs on a treadmill - what a joke. Get off your ass and walk your dogs. I walk 5 dogs at a time 3 times a day and still have a full-time job and a life. If you're not willing to give them what they need then don't own them - and a treadmill is NOT what they need.

ETA - ^^^Not directed at you Osy.

----
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Some show handlers will use a treadmill to condition or exercise their charges.

Some other people will use it to "add more wind" to dogs. Meaning, give the dog more cardio stamina for whatever they need it for.
  • edited November -1
    LOL Well said Brad! +1!

That's my point tho. Are people THAT lazy that they'll go out & spend $1500 on a dog treadmill?? Is there a "point" to it I'm missing?

~
  • edited November -1
    Ayk - But couldn't the same thing be done by running the dogs yourself?

I mean, what's the point in getting the treadmill other than laziness? [ excluding people, for example, who are confined in wheelchairs, but even they get out & commendably walk their dogs ]~
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I'm not in agreement with the use of treadmills, just relaying what people use it for. I would also rather go on a hike or find some large acreage to let the dogs run themselves crazy.

For show handlers, they're often living on the road with multiple dogs and they don't always have a place to safely exercise all of them. A treadmill allows them to give the dogs a physical outlet abet not a mental outlet to tire them out.
  • edited April 2010
    I was just asking to see if the treadmill provided something that "normal" walking couldn't ;)

I've never seen / heard of these before & thought it was really bizarre. [ but as I said...funny. I mean, you can't walk your hamster so you give them a hamster wheel...but a dog?!?! LOL ]

If I ever got a "treadmill" for dogs & any person I know came to my house & saw it, they would smack me silly. [ whether they were a dog owner or not ] Why get a dog if you're not going to walk it? >_> ~
  • edited November -1
    "Is that a pinch collar on the dog in the vid?"

I was wondering about that too Brad. I think it may be a fur saver though. At least I hope it is.

Osy, I think the one thing a treadmill can provide that walking/jogging with your dog can't is extended exercise at higher speeds. Even if you run your dog, they are still only trotting (less than 10 mph). If you want your dog to get exercise at closer to their maximum speeds (like 10-20+ mph) then a treadmill is a good option. That being said, I don't know why you would need your dog conditioned for that.
  • edited November -1
    That is why you buy a bike or a scooter, Dave. ;o)
  • edited November -1
    Or a super moped! 8D

LOL j/k~
  • edited April 2010

About the doggy treadmill though, your dog will get a more complete body workout and better muscle tone and definition by running it outside anyway. I'm always amazed when I look at pictures of NK in the japanese dog shows, they are so ripped from roadwork and running through the mountains. The pics of the Japanese Shibas in "The Total Shiba" book are good examples I think.
  • edited November -1
    is it bad that I laughed at the cat on the treadmill? They look like they actually are having fun lol
  • edited November -1
    I won't rule out a treadmill completely. I know some people who use it for their dogs on a bad weather days. For dogs the need an exercise outlet everyday. Some people also use it for therapy, the underwater ones.
  • edited November -1
    The thing that bugs me about dog treadmills is that it's exercising their body and that's it. It must be so boring for him otherwise, since they aren't going anywhere or doing anything. Of course, this may be influenced by my feeling toward human treadmills - I find exercise machines to be so, so, so incredibly boring and would must rather exercise by actually doing something.

I fully admit to being lazier and more out of shape than my dogs, which is why I like the dog run and scootering. Or wheelchair-mushing, lately :-P. A sulky is probably way less expensive than a treadmill and more fun for everyone involved. Those require even less work than a scooter. Since I've been somewhat immobilized lately (pregnancy issues making walking extremely painful), I know you can still exercise a dog even if you can't move that well yourself. If my condition were permanent, I'd definitely invest in a sulky or something like it.

I guess I don't think dog treadmills are evil or anything, just kind of silly.
  • edited November -1
    I think everyone has noted that there are qualitative differences between an hour hitting the trails with some canine pals and an hour on the treadmill.

Back in the 1980's when the federal govt. mandated an "exercise requirement" for dogs in research facilities, dogs housed singly were put on treadmills to satisfy that requirement. Later research found that what was more important than physical exercise for well-being was social contact with other dogs. (again using science to reveal the obvious!)

(Hetts, S., Clark, J.D., Calpin, J.P., Arnold, C.E., and J.M. Mateo. 1992. Influence of housing conditions on beagle behaviour. Appl. Anim. Beh. Sci. 34: 137-155)

Regardless, there are times when I have thought that a treadmill might be handy, considering my lack of fenced yard space.

For instance, when Henry (the unruly OTTB) stepped on my foot and it ballooned to resemble a heavily bruised dirigible. I couldn't wear real shoes for 4 days and I still had to tromp the fantastic four around (we typically walk 3-4 miles every morning and again every evening). Fortunately, it wasn't winter! They were quite dismayed at my lack of pace as I hobbled about.

When it's REALLY hot/humid in the Mid-Atlantic and the nordic animals might like to do a workout in the AC. As it is, I take them out before 7 AM and after dark for their long walks in the summertime. They have entered "reverse hibernation" as we like to call it.

Might give ME a bit more time on the bike trainer if they could trot beside me inside on the treadmill one at a time ;) I haven't been gutsy enough to bike outside with all three! HaHa (Those squirrel alarms - the Trio is harder to stop when already running!)
  • edited November -1
    I have a co-worker who now has one of these. About 2 months ago she was hit by a car and can no longer exercise her Jack Russell properly. She has a long road of PT ahead of her and her husband works out of state M-F. Her JRT isn't leashed to it (anymore, was during the training) and goes nuts when she gets home by jumping on the treadmill and barking. This is about the only logical reason (to me) for one of these. She says that is has helped burn off the extra energy since she can't do the long runs & walks before and after work that she used to do.