The babies are here!!!

edited April 2010 in Hunting & Working
Ok so some of you know that I purchased some russian boar piglets for training. I picked them up last night at the air port and got them fed and hydrated.

I placed them in the pig pen today and holy crap.......all the dogs are trying to jump into the pen to get at them, especially Taro and Riki. I had to put them back in a welping cage because now I have to figure out how to separate them.

I am in deep doodoo with my wife since I thought I had every thing figured out......what the hell am I gonna do?

Comments

• edited November -1
    lol! brindle piglets, haha! they are actually pretty cute,
  • edited November -1
    They're cute! haha ~
  • edited November -1
    The brindle color is the natural color of wild boar piglets, its kind of like natural camo. They sure stink.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Intellectually, I know they might as well be named Tamale or Chimichanga, but man, the piglets are seriously cute right now. :-)

How long were you originally planning on raising the piglets? I remember size-wise, but I don't remember how long it takes to reach that size?

On an aside, did you see the article in the San Diego newspaper about wild boars finally being confirmed in the SD county backcountry and even spotted in Poway?
  • edited November -1
    They look more like guinea pigs to me...haha ~
  • edited November -1
    Ayk: I'm planning to keep them until they are about 70lbs or so. as cruel as it may sound, they are going to serve two purposes for me; one is for training and getting Taro started and two is to have some nice tender chops.

Yes I did see the article and I wish Ed would have held off on the articles but hey he's a outdoors writer. They are spreading fast with all the hunters out since the article. They were confirmed in 2007 after a photo was given to the UT outdoor writer. It was a photo of about 14 hogs on the shore of El Capitan lake.

My kids named the female porkchop and the male tonkatsu.

The boar can grow to 300 lbs of pure muscle and anger with 3+ inches of ivory.
  • edited November -1
    they are cute at that age
  • edited November -1
    Agreed, they are damn cute at that age. Too bad they turn into snarling monsters pretty quickly.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah the cuteness is making me feel really guilty inside.............but a few must be sacrificed in order to tackle the infestation.
  • edited November -1
    LOL

I can see gen making a warcall as he starts his hunt..."For the Greater Good!!!" ~
  • edited November -1
    I didn't realize you were getting Russian boar. Cool!

They are cute, but those Russian pigs a re NASTY animals. They fight non-stop. I bet those little babies even fight in the pen, huh?

----
  • edited November -1
    The boar is a bit aggressive and he has already bit me a few times and the sow is skiddish.
  • edited April 2010
    Here's some more pictures with the kids.
  • edited November -1
    Out of curiosity, how long will you be able to let your kids play with them? At some point it may be too dangerous for your kids to interact with them right? Or will they be socialized well enough that it isn't a concern?
  • edited November -1
    Not too much longer but I may keep the sow around for awhile so she might get used to the kids and become some what socialized. The breeder of these pigs sells them for hollywood in movies such as silence of the lambs so some of their pigs become trained for movie sets.
  • edited November -1
    They really are pretty cute... :) At least at this age!
  • edited November -1
    Wild pigs always remind me of the pigs in Princess Mononoke. Especially how they wreck everything!
  • edited November -1
    Ohhh yeah. That WAS a good representation of pigs! ~
  • edited November -1
    Yup same type of hogs. These are eurasian hog piglets, people give them the "Russian" name because they are derived from the eurasian hogs from northern Europe which makes them a bit bigger. Although I have seen some huge eurasians in Japan that will rival those found in Europe.
  • edited November -1
    They are SUPER cute! Oh my gosh...

...you must wait until they turn ugly and THEN eat them! I wanna come over and play with the piglets! lol. My Shikoku can't wait to chase them when they are old enough to be chased =).

CONGRATS on the piglets!
  • edited November -1
    Well this weekend is going to be some barking training for Taro. Riki is going to teach him how to bark at pigs. I wont eat them yet, the little boar (Tonkatsu) will just be barked at for a while so he wont get hurt. The little boar is a tough little pig, he charged me today and nipped my leg. I'm hoping the boar will do that with Taro soon.