Monday morning pig hunt.

edited March 2010 in Hunting & Working
Since I had nothing better to do today, I decided to hit a new area to see if the hogs moved into the area. We drove along a nasty dirt road and stopped in a few areas but the hog hunting Gods were not shining down on us today. Taro got to run around and he even got to rub hims self into fresh steam"n cow pie........not fun at all.

On the way back out, we came across a couple of strutt'n young jake toms. These are first year toms and we had a blast making them gobble. They would even gobble back at Taro barking and also gobbled back when I beeped my truck horn.

All in all it was a fun day but we have yet to back a pig...........the adventures of Taro the little hog dog continues.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    .....and the turkeys, These are the Rio Grande subspecie of the 5 supecies of turkeys found in NA.

They were reintroduced to San Diego in 1993 and the population exploded. The spring turkey season starts next saturday for the genral season so dead turkey pics to come.

enjoy.
  • edited November -1
    oo, cow pies on a white dog...oh, well! :)
    add a little goose poop and call it camo!

nice stream- what is he wearing?
  • edited November -1
    Taro is wearing a hog hunting vest made of thick cordura and kevlar to keep him from getting torn up byt a big nasty boar.
  • edited November -1
    is it the same as police dog kevlar vests?
    Does he get hot?
  • edited November -1
    A bit different the ones that PD K9's use. The vest has ventilation and it does'nt have a tight fit so air circulates really well. It also helps him from cactus bushes and sharp sticks/thorns.
  • edited November -1
    do you do anything special to protect his feet from the prickly stuff? Rei is always cutting the webs between her pads, but I am sure boots are not sure-footed enough to trust in a hunt. (The difference between playing football in cleats (claws/pads) or ballet slippers (boots)...)
  • edited November -1
    No nothing special on his feet, he needs to have full control and the terrain is really rocky/brushy/soft so shoes would be dangerous for him when the time comes to tango with a hog.
  • edited November -1
    I'd imagine so!
  • edited November -1
    Sweet pics! Looks like his ears are starting to perk up a little. We have different turkeys up here, not so full. They run past the front of my house every morning, and Koda wants to eat one so bad. They drive him crazy!!!!

I really am so jealous that you and Taro get to go out together all the time. I don't hunt, but sometimes I think it would just be great to have that adventure with the dogs. He's a very lucky pup!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Tj, what part of this great nation do you live? Wait a few more weeks and those turkeys are going to gobbling and strutting like crazy.