Got me a new gun

edited March 2010 in Products & DIY
Ok so I have been waiting on this new shotgun for quite some time now, I get a call from my gun shop buddy that he got my shotty in stock. I just picked it up today and shot 10 rounds through it.

Its a Mossberg 935 mag Turkey special but it came with a duck hunting barrel so I can use it for two different seasons with one gun. Shoots super tight groups with the extra full turkey choke shooting 3.5 inch #5 Hevi shot.

Its gonna be a gobbler kill'n machine!

Comments

• edited November -1
    NIce. Mossberg makes a nice gun without charging way too much. It's always confused me how some other companies charge as much as they do for scatterguns.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, I have a older model 935 and this new one is just amazing. I carry a Benelli M4 tactical and that thing cost twice as much.

So I wanted to get every ones opinion. I been seeing more people here interested in hunting/shooting equipment so if its ok with every one, I will start posting hunting/shooting equipment product reviews.
  • edited November -1
    That would be great! I am interested in shooting product reviews.
  • edited November -1
    Gen, my trigger happy friend, post all the reviews you want! LOL

I know I'm game! [ & I think we have a few hunters on here regardless, even if they don't use dogs ]~
  • edited November -1
    I think its great Gen, no worries, keep posting. If someone is not interested in guns/hunting they don't have to read the threads on them. I think we are a diverse group here, so the more content we have the better it will serve the various niches.

Congrats on the new shotgun, looks cool - I know very little about guns, but I still enjoyed reading about it.

Perhaps I should add a hunting category to the forum???

----
  • edited November -1
    Brad --- I'm all for a hunting category! That'd be awesome!

Esp. since that was the primary "job" of most [ all? ] the nihon ken at one point or another. ~
  • edited November -1
    Done.
  • edited March 2010
    Awesome! Thanks Brad! :) I'll move some of the hunting-related threads to their new category.~
  • edited November -1
    Alrighty then.......I will start posting some stuff starting this weekend after a junior turkey hunt. I'm taking a father and his little girl out on her first hunt ever so I will post up some stuff on that.
  • edited November -1
    Huzzah! Hunting category!

And wow, I know absolutely nothing about guns. Better work on that... heh...
  • edited November -1
    My husband really wants a mossberg...I

Yeah, a hunting category....with reviews even!....sounds good!
  • edited November -1
    Sweet!

And it's camo-leafed too, that's wicked.

I've gone out shooting before a couple of times, but was never "allowed" to use any kind of rifle. What's the recoil on that?
  • edited November -1
    The recoil isn't too bad, even shooting 3.5in magnum rounds. But I shoot that stuff all the time so maybe I'm used to it.

Not allowed to shoot rifle's? Theres small rifles and big rifles so its not that bad. My wife can shoot my AR-15 really well but when I give her my 300 win mag, it will make her cry.
  • edited November -1
    Well, the first time I went shooting I think I was about 14 years old out in the desert with my dad and he wouldn't let me shoot his rifle because of the recoil impact.

The second time I went shooting, I actually went with some friends a few months ago to an indoor shooting range. I pretty much learned the "basics" with a revolver and multiple hand guns all in one lesson. However, in order to shoot a rifle at that range I would have had to take that facility's classes and get "certified" by the staff.
  • edited November -1
    Certified to shoot a long gun? wow, some of these shooting ranges are becoming so rediculous with their range rules. I train new academy recruits in firearms handling and some of them have never held a gun in their life. but after a few sessions some will have enough knowledge to possibly survive a gun fight.

Maybe one of these days we can have a Nk forum range day for basic firearms instruction and personal defense instruction with firearms, edged weapons, and hand to hand! (maybe over kill)

You know with the world the way it is today, you cant rely on dialing 911 and always receiving prompt service. You really need to know how to protect you and your family from those who want to harm us. The shooting ranges are only there to make a buck and to cover their butt. And with so many tight rules, I know a few people who have been turned off from shooting. I always tell people to get as much shooting time in as possible so that one can become familiar and confortable with what they are shooting. You cant learn gun handling on paper, it just doesn't work that way. Muscle memory is the most important qulaity in gun handling and you cant pick that up taking tests and quizes.

Well if any one here would like to learn basic gun handling skills free of charge, please let me know.
  • edited November -1
    That's REALLY strange. Down here, handguns have stricter rules. For example, if you go to a gunshop & buy a handgun you have to wait 2 -3 days for your background check to clear. With a longgun you can walk out the same day! LOL ~
  • edited November -1
    well Osy you are lucky. In ca one must take a "handgun safety course" to purchase a handgun. The course is actually a 15 min test you take at the gun shop. Now for long guns, there are no tests involved, you just have to go through a 10 day background check before picking up the gun. That also goes for handguns.

Now for Ar-15's and AK-47's, they are restricted under the "assault weapon" ban (never understood why the gun control freaks think a gun can assult some one)and only Law enforcement officers can purchase them with a permission letter from the department.

Now if you goto shooting ranges, they all have different rules. Some places dont care a if a beginner shoots a long gun or a hand gun but most require a safety test before shooting.
  • edited November -1
    i want an ar 15
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, here you don't need anything. Not even a permit [ unless you want to carry a concealed ] It's just be over 21, show your license. If it's a long gun you buy it & leave the same day. If it's a handgun you wait 3 days [ or 5 depending on the county ] to see if your background check goes through, then go in & pick up your gun :)

If you're under 21, but 18 or older, you can also buy a gun through private sale, or have it gifted to you, but you can not buy through a dealer OR buy bullets.

---

I want an AK-47...LMFAO. Best gun for Army of Two hahahahaha [ where guns & videogames mix! ] ~
  • edited November -1
    Oh & re: shooting ranges. Here you can shoot whatever, wherever. No classes or anything required. But, only a few ranges have "long gun" areas. If you're under 21, you have to have someone 21 or older present.

Florida is really lax when it comes to guns D: ~
  • edited November -1
    NY is uptight. another reason to move. If I want an assault rifle with a collapsible stock and a pistol grip and a 30 round mag to shoot at targets it's my damned right as a taxpaying american!
  • edited November -1
    Damn right!!
  • edited November -1
    Come down here Joe! LOL ~
  • edited November -1
    Massachusetts has a lot of process involved in getting a license, fingerprints and background checks and fees and waiting. There are a number of safety courses that fit the requirement - one is just a short group Home Firearms Safety class- it takes like an hour, and teaches the parts of a gun, and the big rules, like always point it in a safe direction, finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. They also ask you what you want one FOR on the application. The correct answer is "all lawful purposes" but if you write "target shooting" or "collecting" or "hunting" then they will restrict you to what you write. (I was coached) Also in Mass, granting of a firearms lic. is at the discretion of your local police chief. So in my rural town, no questions asked- why WOULDN'T you want a firearms license? In my friend's town, she applied for a Class B, which is somewhat restricted, the chief called her back and said "why not just get a CLass A?" (unrestricted, inc. large capacity and concealed) Well, okay...! But in towns close to Boston, they will really give you a grilling- have you write an essay, or charge extra processing fees. It really varies here, which isnt fair to all.

In Vermont, however, there is no licensing and firearms are just a part of what you do. like maple sugaring, I guess. mmm.. pancakes...
  • edited November -1
    Vermont sounds like my place. Maple sugar, pancakes, and non regulated semi automatic assault rifles. If that isn't America then god damnit I'm moving to Khazikstan!
    Speaking of moving, PA seems to have relaxed gun laws so +10 to them.
  • edited November -1
    question about turkey hunting. I don't know if I could snuff a deer, but I'm pretty sure I could shoot a turkey. I'll just pretend it's a mutated velociraptor and I'm in Jurassic park. Are they're restrictions on guns, can you only hunt with shot guns? Would an AR-15 be a no-no or non effective?
  • edited November -1
    This is way out of my league but I took a look at mossberg.com and found their logo that seems to have some kind of swedish connection :) Is it so that the company comes from Sweden way back in time or does the owner have any connection to Sweden?
  • edited November -1
    Martin - Love your signature~! LOL ~
  • edited November -1
    Turkey hunting is prbably one of the hardest hunts a hunter can do. I mostly hunt during the spring time when the turkey's are in love and tryig to make little turkeys. The way you hunt spring gobblers is

a) Find a roost tree
    b) go near the roost tree and set up 50 yards away before sun rise
    c) listen for the gobbling to begin
    d) make sounds like a female turkey using the 20 or so different turkey calls I carry in my turkey vest
    e) waite for the love sick tom to come in gobbling and strutting into your blind and decoy
    f) put your shot gun bead or bow sight on the kisser of that old tom
    g) take the tom home to have dinner with the family

I mostly used to hunt with shotgun and then I began only bow hunting a few years back and now I'm back shooting a shot gun. The reason why turkey hunting is so hard is turkeys can see color, see the slightest movement, and hear better then any human.

Turkey eye sight is so good that a hen can see a grass hopper jump from 60 yards away and they can fly a few miles. Its been said that if a turkey can smell like a deer, one will never have a chance to kill it.

Turkey's are probably, imo, one of the smartest animals in the woods. The interaction a hunter must have with a turkey and to study and be familiar with the 11 or so different sounds one must know to hunt them makes it a absolute challenge.

I love pig hunting with dogs and duck hunting but Turkey hunting is up there and possibly my favorit thing to do.
  • edited November -1
    Gen, we're still waiting for you to come down here & take us Osceola Turkey Hunting! :P ~