Tracking Collars/GPS Systems

edited February 2010 in Products & DIY
I'm looking into tracking systems for taking pups off leash. Anyone try one or looked into them and has some sort of opinion on them?

The straight up radio collars seem the simplest, and the most low-tech. GPS seems the best as far as range, of course, but I cringe at the thought of monthly payments for GPS service.

Any thoughts'?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Get the Garmin astro 220, you will never regret it. Its bit pricey but worth the money, expect to pay around $500 for the set. Check ebay for cheaper used ones.
  • edited November -1
    The difference between a radio collar and GPS is night and day. Get the GPS. No monthly payments for the Garmin Astro 220 anyway. Even in hilly terrain I've tracked dogs as far as 3km away. With a radio collar, you'll get a general direction, with GPS, you know exactly where he is, what direction he's going, and how fast. Also, if you lose the radio signal, you have to guess where the dog last was, and try to go there to reacquire the signal. With GPS you'll see the spot on your map where the last signal from your dog was received, and can go there to reacquire.