Pig hunting training for nihon ken

edited February 2010 in Hunting & Working
Ok so I am going to be purchasing a few wild hogs from a breeder here in the states. Originally I was going to just use it for training my dogs but I would like to open it up to other members who would like to get into training their nihon kens for hunting.

After doing some research and checking local animal laws, I was able to find out that hog baying is considered simillar to sheep dog training. This makes it completely legal as long as the dog and the pig does not fight.

I am almost finished building a bay pen on my parents property and would like to know how many here would like to participate. It would be a controlled enironemnt so there will be no dogs or pigs hurt during the training. I'm waiting to get the total cost of the three pigs I will be purchasing and once the pigs are ordered, it take a few weeks so I'm planning on conducting the training in June/july.

e-mail me if anyone is interested. Cost would be determined later but should not be too much. After the training, I will butcher one of the hogs for a pig roast!

Comments

• edited November -1
    What does a bay pen look like? Are there certain features that make it especially suited to training a hog dog?
  • edited November -1
    Its just a enclosed area that creates a controlled area for dogs to bay (herd) pigs. It allows a smaller area for a dog to bay a pig so that a new dog can get confortable with contacting hogs.
  • edited November -1
    Count me in! I'll even pitch in some funds for the pigs if you need it. I'd love to have a safe and controlled place to go and test my NK, and to have a seasoned hunter there is even more awesome! :o)

I've looked into doing that here but we are not allowed to keep swine in our neighborhood. :oT

Thanks!

----
  • edited November -1
    Oh, wow! That is so cool. Where are you located, again?
  • edited November -1
    San Diego
  • edited November -1
    Wow, can't wait to see pictures and videos of everyone testing their pups. If San Diego was closer to NY, I'd go just to watch.
  • edited November -1
    Oh and just to let every one know, the location might get moved to an area near hollister. I may beable to do the training on a ranch with bay pens already on the property. But I will still plan to have a pig roast afterwards!
  • edited November -1
    Oh man that sounds awesome! Koda and I may have to take a trip down and check it out! I wonder if he would actually go after an animal larger than a squirrel. He is pretty fierce with them though. lolol
  • edited November -1
    You should try it out and see if your dogs will bay up a pig. The pigs I am getting are going to be piglets so I will have to wait till they are a bit bigger but they are going to be sows so that the dogs dont get hurt. No sense in getting a 200lb plus boar with 3 inch cutters to send all the dogs to the vet. I just want a hog that will snap back at the dogs to teach them not to get too close.
  • edited November -1
    The pens are circular and I'm going to start with the dogs out side of the pen and then slowly work them into the pen.
  • edited November -1
    I would really like to do this in the future with my shikoku but unfortunately I won't have a shikoku puppy for a while. I am really interested in hunting with my nihon ken in the future.
  • edited November -1
    I'm really interested in testing Koda out. So keep us posted on the progress. :)
  • edited November -1
    I am really interested in this, just questioning my ability to get down to California to do it. I guess we'll see.
  • edited November -1
    Ok so I have made the arrangemnets to get the hogs. So who's all interested in running their dogs on hogs? I should be done with the bay pen by next month.
  • edited November -1
    This is frustrating. Nothing I would love to do better, but I'm on the other side of the Mississippi...
  • edited November -1
    Just found out the pigs are going to be about 20 lbs so it will be awhile before I can fully run dogs on them. I figure by may or jun they will be in the 60lb range so for the mean time the pigs will be barked at from an enclosure (did that sound cruel?)
  • edited November -1
    I have been thinking about this, and this is possibly the coolest thing ever. I might see if I can come down anyway, since Noah has a brother in California, I can somewhat justify it (although, they're in Sacramento, which isn't terribly close, but still) and we usually go down to Utah to visit Noah's dad once/year and I can't stand Noah's dad, so maybe I'll swing over to California and let Noah deal with his dad on his own...

Not that my plans matter, lol... just saying I may be able to make it if I try hard enough.
  • edited November -1
    Sounds good. The training location might get moved to Hollister area because a friend of mine has a larger area with a better bay pen. I will also conduct a fake hunt to test finished dogs although most of the folks here probably would not be ready for it. But it will be a great learning experience and it will give every one a first hand look at what big game hunting is all about.

The beginning stage will be a pig in a cage to see how well new dogs react to a pig. This will give new dogs the confidence to bark and nip at a live pig. Once the confidence is built, we can allow the dogs to chase a pig without the cage. The pig will have a hobble harness to slow the pigs movement to allow a new dog to learn when to get near and when to move away. The final training would be a fake hunt. Dogs will learn how to trail frsh scent, strike a trail, catch/bay a pig and hold until a hunter arrives to catch the pig.
  • edited November -1
    I'd love to bring out my Shikoku! I might have better luck with another import and starting off the pup young. If they are 20 lbs, I could probably toss both Shoushuu and Kotomi in there and they will make friends with them! Some hunting dogs I have...lol.

Maybe when they get bigger...Shoushuu LOVES to bite sheep!
  • edited November -1
    If the dog has it in him, age doesn't matter too much :) I even know hunters that don't start their dogs till they're nearly 2 years old.
  • edited November -1
    Very true...

...I suppose while Shoushuu and Kotomi will play and prance around with kittys, rabbits and squirrels...they may react differently towards swine.

I already know Shoushuu has some instinct because of how he is with sheep. It'll be fascinating to see how they react and perhaps it may take a few sessions before "the hunter" kicks into drive.
  • edited November -1
    It does come down to basic instincts, and I would argue that all of our dogs have them. Koda is great with my 18 year old cat, his dog sitter's cats, and my mom's. He knows that they are family pets and that they are friends not food.

When he spots an animal, squirrel, duck, turkey, etc. that he feels may be prey he first clears his nose to get a really good smell. He will do this a couple of times and that is when I know he is identifying that animal as something to hunt. Once he's got a good whiff, he's off. The look in his eyes change and he becomes more intense. That's when I know that he wants to kill it. It's actually kind've cool to watch him go into that mode.

Koda and I would love to take the drive down. I am curious to see how he does with a pig.
  • edited November -1
    Well once the exact date and time is made, I will advise every one on the info. The pigs will require a bit of time to add on some weight, since the piglets are some what small. I dont want to scare the crap out of them since they cost a pretty penny. Once they are about 60lbs or so I will start putting dogs on them. That being said my projected time is some time during the early summer months when its not so hot here (nice marine layer during june gloom).

Oh just so every one knows, I tend to keep these pigs alive for awhile to conduct numerous different training days so if the first date does'nt work then folks can stop by other dates that I will anounce here and there (few times a month until hunting season starts).
  • edited November -1
    Hey! I missed this, sorry, I am in! I would love to bring Ahi, Kona, Blue (if you don't mind non-NK), maybe Loa, and any new pups I may have (not that I have plans).

I'm super stoked!

----
  • edited November -1
    So, would this training transfer over to other types of game? I'd be interested in actual hunting with Rakka, but there aren't any boar in my area. Maybe she's too old anyway, though... but I sure would love to. I've wanted to for so long, I just keep getting pregnant and not being able to walk :-/
  • edited November -1
    I would like to keep this to nihon ken only and to those who are really interested in hunting. Its serious training and so it should be done only to those that plan to run their dogs on game while legally hunting.

The training will mostly forcus on pig hunting but I'm sure once your dogs get used to chasing game, it can be carried over to run other game like deer, bear or other furbearing animals.

Here are some rules for the training that I would need every one to follow:

1) Only dogs that are able to respond to recall and safely hunt off leash will be allowd to participate.
    2) Limited to three dogs per participant and one dog if the general deer season is in place(Ca DFG law)
    3) Participant must have valid California hunting license at the time of mock hunt training due to the use of firearms. ( I would like to stay 110% legal in every training).
    4) Those participating must attend a California certified hunter education course before any training. (This is to make sure those who are really interested in hunting participate)
    5) Since most of the training is on private property, I will need every one to mind thier P's and Q's in respect for the land owner.

I just need to make sure that the first training wont be the last and that we all follow the state game laws down to the letter of the law. This type of training is highly frowned upon by the anti's so I dont want to give them any more reasons to support thier agenda.

I hope this has'nt turned members off from this but I dont have any control over most of these rules.
  • edited November -1
    Does one need any particular level of firearms license to attend hunter ed courses in Cali?
  • edited November -1
    Nope. Hunter ed course is approximately a 8 hour course and that will allow u to get a state hunting license. As for firearms, I will supply a gun if needed so no issues there
  • edited November -1
    I don't know about CA, but in GA any state wildlife management department approved hunter education course will suffice for a hunting license. I took the course and found it quite informative. In GA, it is actually required to be a 10 hour course, but they only have 8 hours of classroom instruction. They make up those last 2 hours by giving you homework (which I was able to complete during the breaks in the first 4 hour class session). Also, in GA there is an option to take an online course and then complete the certification with a 2 hour session in person.

Even if you aren't 100% sure you plan to hunt, I think it's worthwhile to take the course. The information I picked up in that course has helped me understand a lot about hunting in general and has certainly informed my understanding about how hunting with dogs is done.
  • edited February 2010
    It would certainly be easier if I could do the hunting/firearms course here at home. I'll have to look into that.

ETA: looks like you can take the course online.