Riki and Taro finally getting along.

Well took Taro and Riki out to see my mom and her dogs with all the kids. Man do we have a storm brewing in socal or what! The dogs did some running around at my moms property and I started building a pig pen in her yeard for training.

Riki is now 100% deaf in both ears and I keep saying that he's going to retire but man he still acts like as if he's just got into his prime. My moms been wanting to get her dog Shiro (whippet X) into chasing pigs so I maybe training her also on the og I'm going to be getting. So we shall see how that goes.

Enjoy the photos.

Comments

• edited November -1
    And the kids and Taro at the park.
  • edited November -1
    Great pics.!!!!! Taro look's beautiful!!
  • edited November -1
    That's great Gen! I hope things continue to go well between them. I bet Riki will be a great resource for training Taro.

Out of curiosity, is the color difference between them an age thing? Or is Riki just more red for genetic reasons? It looks like Riki is just as white as Taro in some areas. Just curious.
  • edited November -1
    Dave: Riki has always had that off white or dirty white color. His father was and all white Kishu but his mother was almost all brown. I hope Riki will be a great mentor to Taro but with Riki's hearing being gone, I may not beable to use him much in the way as a lead dog but Riki will most definately beable to teach Taro a little some thing in the pig pen.

On the other hand to show you how retarded the legislators in California are, the California Fish and Game comission (what a joke) recently made regulations to prohibit the use of GPS tracking collars for hunting dogs (makes no sense what so ever) so now I'm hopeing I never lose a dog while I'm out hunting. Now I have a Garmin GPS system that I cant use. I'm seriously thinking of moving out of this state!
  • edited November -1
    Wait. Banning GPS tracking collars? Are you serious? That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. What could possibly be the motivation for that?
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I wonder if Garmin, other GPS suppliers, or even the NRA are aware of this. Can't they use some of their clout to convince CFG otherwise? Or, knowing how broke CA is, change it up from a ban to a permit?

Or are the powers-that-be in CA determined to paint hunters as people who don't care if their dogs go missing?
  • edited November -1
    Yeah its a done deal but I'm going to find out more on if the Garmin model is the one that is evil.
  • edited November -1
    Awww! haha they're so adorable [ & Taro is really a big boy ]

---

WTF is up with BANNING GPS collars?! Shouldn't there be a law to make GPS collars REQUIRED??? Baning them to me seems a bit inhumane. ~
  • edited November -1
    Well in California things are done back wards, it just makes more sense that way. I will let you all know what I find out from DFG.
  • edited November -1
    All forms of radio tracking collars here in Japan are not allowed. It used to be a sort of grey zone, but now they're actually coming out and saying they're illegal. There really needs to be legislation to fix this sort of thing, as it's just plain smart and part of being a responsible owner to want to know where your dogs are at all times. I'm really thinking of trying to start something over here to tackle the issue.
  • edited November -1
    I'm going to buy beep collars if I cant use my Garmin. I might have a Garmin for sale with two collars.
  • edited November -1
    Great pics, and great news the dogs are starting to get along!

The banning of the collar thing is insane. I guess that is one way to stop people from hunting with dogs? Very passive aggressive.

----
  • edited November -1
    That ban is...idiotic?
    I can't say anything more profound than that which has already been stated.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, its just another way to make it harder to hunt with dogs in Cali. Its insane here, here are some other stupid F&G laws:

1 dog per hunter during deer hunting season when persuing legal furbearing animal (if deer is in season I can only use one dog to hunt hogs)
    3 dogs per hunter for the legal persuit of hogs
    unlimited number of dogs per hunter for the legal persuit of bears but no dogs during archery season
    dogs prohibited to use during archery deer season (which includes dogs to track downed game)
    If you hunt in any of the 4 dog control zones, you can only train you dog from the first day of the rifle deer season to the first friday in april. (whats going on imbetween???)
    luckily San Diego or Cleveland national forest is not a dog control zone so I can train at any time (one of the 3 or 4 areas in all of cali)
  • edited November -1
    Gen, do you hunt with your pups on private or WMA / Public Land OOC?

[ & hunting with dogs here isn't ne better. Only a few WMA allow hunting deer or hogs w/ dogs. ]

I'd bet money, outside of bird dogs, in a few years hunting deer or boar w/ dogs will be completely banned. ~
  • edited November -1
    I hunt both private and public land. I belong to a hunting/fishing club that owns 76,000 acres here in SD and also in Santa Maria and Imperial counties.

Yeah I think it is getting harder and harder to hunt big game with dogs. PETA is sure fighting hard and saying pig dogging is a form of dog fighting. They will never understand that wild hogs are invasive animals that cause billions of dollars in damage every year and the most consistant way to hunt hogs is to use dogs. Well in order to do that you have to train dogs by using live hogs....any thing hunters do these days is considered animal cruelty by the small group of retarded anti's but many of them will have no problems eating a burger down at the burger joint.