Baron's first pig

edited December 2009 in Hunting & Working
Baron got a look at his first pig yesterday. It was trapped by a hunter I know, and he let me show it to Baron (it was already dead) before it was butchered.

While it's a bit much to ask a 2 month old pup to be excited about seeing a pig for the first time, I had my hopes. As expected he took a few whiffs from a safe distance, but didn't want to get any closer. I decided I'd have to take matters into my own hands and show him how it's done (this seems to be the way I end up teaching hunting to my dogs a lot nowadays).

I got down there grabbing at the pig, pulling its legs/feet/ears, growling, barking, the works. The other hunters watching were laughing, naturally. One of them started telling me about his hunting pups that start reacting to pigs at around 3 months. Just as he said that, and I was looking up at him, Baron ran around to the back of the pig and started attacking it.

He was growling, biting, tugging, barking, it really was an amazing sight. First time seeing a pig and this little pup is going ballistic.

I guess that while I did play around with the pig a bit and 'show' him what to do, it really seemed like some switch turned on inside his head and he knew what to do. I was extremely happy and proud of Baron. All the other hunters haven't had good experiences hunting with Nihonken, and none of them use them anymore. They were all very impressed with the little white terrorist.

No pics or vid as it was late and already getting dark, but I'll be sure to take some next time.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    That's great, Baron didn't leave you hanging there looking silly, haha! :D
  • edited November -1
    lol, I would have love to have seen a video of you 'attacking' the pig...Awesome that Baron's hunting instincts are kicking in, you'll show those hunters how great nihonken are
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on Baron meeting his first pig he probably wasn't too sure on the pig yet till he saw you attacking it also I bet he'll turn out to be a good hunter. =)
  • edited November -1
    That's great! You must have been a very proud daddy. :-)
  • edited November -1
    That's really cool. Great story. Wish you got some vids.
  • edited November -1
    Thats great Shigeru San!

I cant wait till I get over there to start Taro on some little oinkers. Just keep at it Baron will be a great hog dog.
  • edited November -1
    I'm pretty into the idea of you introducing a bunch of Japanese hunting guys to the idea of hunting with a Nihonken. :)
  • edited November -1
    Just imagining you attacking a pig cracks me up! I too wish you had a vid. It would be cool to see the lil man go at it.