Got a new camera!

edited January 2008 in General

Some random pics taken w/ our new cam...

As you can see, Maui is a ham.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow, nice pics brad!  What kind of camera did you get?  Those photo's really came out great! Loa looks big now!
  • edited November -1

Yeah what kind of camera?

Ahi- Gorgeous as usual.

Kaia-I still want Kaia and Moto to be boyfriend and girfriend. 

Maui- IS a ham. But a handsome devil.

Loa- Is HUGE. She has grown up so fast.

Hilo- I just can't help but smile every time I see that face. You just want to squeeze him!. His ears are staying down aren't they?

Kona- is so precious. His eyes look like they are pure liquid.

I love your pack. 

• edited November -1

I just added some more. Smile

The camera is a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. I'll be honest - I am not a big camera guy, but I felt like I needed a better one and I have always wanted a DSLR. They are a lot less $ now days - so I went for it... plus it's a write off for my corp. Wink

Thanx for all the compliments...

- Those pics of Ahi turned out great - didn't they?

- Yes, I think Kaia and Moto would make a cute couple. Wink

- I couldn't get Maui out of any of the photos - as soon as I got down to take a shot he was right there.

- Loa is growing fast - and getting her colors... she is turning out to be very pretty. Those spots under her eyes are blending better so she doesn't look like she has football eye marks.

- Kona is so hard to photograph, he is so dark... I just added a few more of him.

Thanx!

• edited November -1

oh - and Hilo... I forgot him... yea, his ears are not up. I have given up hope,  and accepted them down. I'm really sad about how Hilo turned out - I mean I love him and he is great, but I am really concerned all his health issues will end up making his life difficult (for him). He just really got the bad genes I guess. Frown

*I'm sure Brandon will call me out on this next part for being too anthropomorphic Smile

What makes me the most sad is he seems to really want to be a watchdog, but he doesn't have the strength in his back legs to get on the door and look out the window... Ahi jumps right up and looks, but he can't. He goes over gives a few barks and then goes and pouts on the floor... it breaks my heart.

He is loved dearly tho, and gets out a lot - and has a great pack to be with... so he is not too bad off I guess.

• edited November -1

Nice photos.  Are you shooting in the auto modes or were you using one of the manual modes?  Digital is so nice because you can take a million shitty pictures as you learn the controls of the camera and don't have to pay to get them developed.  Also instant feedback on what you are doing right or wrong.

You will love having a DSLR and then you will want new lenses and a flash, and this and that, and you will realize that the camera body is the cheap (and disposable part) of this hobby.

• edited November -1

Hilo  may not be a show dog. He may have floppy ears. But he sure has a family that loves him. And a HUGE fan club. Jay, who just puts up with the fact that I talk about this forum like you guys are in my living room, gets excited to see Hilo pictures (he has made a voice for him and everything. Did I mention we are nerds?).

In my eternal optimism, allow me to hope that he will outgrow all of his present issues and surprise us all with his amazing fortitude!

And you know I kinda love his floppy ears. 

• edited November -1
    I know you feel about the bad genes stuff. Jack (the younger bc) is an amazing runner - the fastest non-sight hound I've seen. But last year he started getting really stiff walking on his back legs after he ran a lot, and we finally found out he has hip dysplasia, bad enough that he'll almost definitely need a new hip joint in a few years. It seems so unfair for a dog that is constantly running and moving to have something that causes him pain like that. But he's worth all the work/money, etc.
  • edited November -1

Brad,  Your pictures are all beautiful.  

Hilo could not have been adopted by a more caring, loving couple.  He is a very lucky guy to have such a pack to hang out with.  He is a gentle giant and his pack respects him.

• edited November -1

Brandon - you are totally right, I already want a wide angle lenz! I was shooting in auto and the portrait setting, one or two may have been shot in the action "sports" setting - I wanted to test out the burst shooting. I really have no idea what I'm doing... like you said I shot like a LOT of pics and those are the only ones that came out ok. lol

Jessica - A voice for Hilo - that is great - I would love to hear it... Jen and I have a cartoon character that we think is 100% Hilo... I'll try to find him. I know you love his floppy ears too, I have grown to love them too. Hilo is so funny, he has started pawing at us when he is happy - he paws at my waist a lot in the morning in his crazy "good morning" excitement... every morning this week he has basically kicked my right in the nutz! lol  it sux!

Here is the cartoon - the little dog is Maui and the big dog is Hilo:

Grandemu -  That's sad about Jack - the good news is those hip replacements end up being better than real hips... they are really amazing now!

• edited November -1
    Thanx ddowdemers! He really is a gentle giant.
  • edited November -1
    Brad - that's the camera I was planning on getting, although rather than getting the kit lens, I was going to get the "nifty fifty" (1.8 50mm) then getting a good wide angle and going from there.  We just keep finding other things to spend the money on.
  • edited November -1

I love my...I mean your dogs...

I miss them!!!

Ditto on all of Jess's comments, totally what I was thinking when I saw the pics.

Love the cartoon, fits perfectly.  The small dog seems like Maui and Ahi combined.... 

• edited November -1

Jay basically does a variation of "Shnitzel" from the cartoon Chowder. We are convinced that Hilo would sound like a very warm fuzzy Shnitzel.

Here is a link to the cartoon (I think it is hysterical) CHOWDER  

The cartoon you posted could have also been Moto and Piglet. 

Your morning wakeup assault is kind of like Piggy's "welcome home" to Jay which consists of a headbut to Jay's family jewels.

She also clocked me in the jaw trying to kiss me today. 

• edited November -1

Heidi - I got an 18mm - 55mm lens with ours, it was an upgrade from the standard kit lens... but I don't know that its anything that great. Like I said, I don't know anything about cameras... I don't know anything about lens either, other than I want a wide angle. Smile

Rachael - They miss you too - I know Ahi misses Chad.

Jessica - I loved that cartoon, I agree 100% - Shnitzel is just like Hilo! The kid that was with him was like Lao too. lol

• edited November -1

haha...Chad loves Ahi! 

Everytime I see pics of your pups I hit chad...he usually knows what that means. Laughing

and BTW...we kinda miss you guys also. 

• edited November -1

How exciting! You can now shower us with more pics, bravo. Those shots are great. I can't get over the fact on how much Ahi reminds me of Yana, what a pretty girl.

And oh! 2 Stupid Dogs! I love that cartoon, I use to watch it all the time, when they had played it on Cartoon Network.

I love the facial shot of Hilo, he grows more handsome with age. He is only 10 months, right? Have you tried taping his ears recently? Maybe it might help and eventually they might be able to stand? Or at least stand somewhat. Don't give up hope just yet, he is still young.

• edited November -1

Yes, Hilo is 10 months, well almost 11. We talked to our vet about taping his ears, she said that that tends to be a temporary fix and just doesn't work well. So I think we will just wait to see what happens. I would really love them to stand up, but its not like we could show him or breed him anyway so it doesn't really matter anymore.

• edited November -1
    Brad don't feel bad or give up hope yet about Hilo's ears, I'm in the same boat.  Large breeds mature waayyyy slower than smaller breeds, and he's not even going to mature until he's like 2-3 years old.  News comes from champion working dog lines from Holland and he has FLOPPY EARS!!  He seriously looks like a freakin' lab mix, not a normal Dutchie.  Everyone makes fun of him, and hey he's 1 year old.  I am still hoping they will stand up....
  • edited January 2008

ok - round 2.....

(some non-dog shots too)

• edited November -1
    Geez Brad couldn't you have moved somewhere breathtaking and awe inspiring?!Tongue out
  • edited November -1

I know, right?

I just added a cool moon shot... it's the last pic, check it out.  :c)

• edited November -1
    Also looks like Hilo finally seduced Kaia.
  • edited November -1

yes, it was very cute - he just got up from under my feet and wrapped his body around Kaia... she was totally out... next thing she knew Hilo and her were spooning.  :c)

Kaia now tries to get him to play with her, then he gets all excited and goes to play but ends up hurting her by stepping on her or something - he's such an oaf. He loves Kaia.

• edited November -1
    Lol Brad my boyfriend is falling for Ahi. If she goes missing, he had nothing to do with it :P
  • edited January 2008

uh oh... I'll keep an eye out then. Wink

but if he goes missing... uh, well, Ahi probably ate him. Laughing

• edited November -1
    Lol fair enough :D
  • edited November -1
    Now there seems to be a race to steal Ahi.
  • edited November -1
    Well poopoo to all of ya! I'm in love with Loa...and Kaia...and Hilo...and Kona...and Maui...alright fine Ahi too...but Loa, I'm committed to  Loa.Wink
  • edited November -1
    But I knew them first!!!!  Well....not Kona but Tongue out
  • edited November -1

Don't tell my other pups, but Loa is becoming my favorite. She loves me, gets so stoked to see me, its really sweet. Kaia may have to kick-it-up a bit if she wants to keep her "favorite" rank with me. Wink

(not that I really show favorites with the pack)