Chinese Dog breed

aykayk
edited November 2009 in Other Breeds
Just wanted to share some photos of a pretty rare Chinese dog breed. The dogs are actually wired-haired, which you don't really see in the Asian breeds.

They either go by Xia-Si or MiaoQuan (Dog of the Miao people). Back in 2006, I had read that they numbered in the 200's.

The following pictures were recently shared by a Korean professor teaching in China. He said the dogs are also used for wild boar.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Interesting looking dogs... not so far away in general shape from some of the Japanese breeds? But distinctly different at the same time? Thanks for sharing the picture... Fun to see how these amazing creatures have evolved in different areas of the globe...
  • edited November -1
    Huh....wire-haired spitzy dogs.
  • edited November -1
    They are actually really cute!
  • MnVMnV
    edited November -1
    Interesting find. Thanks.
  • edited November -1
    Interesting! They DO remind me of a nihon ken, but they are very different. Do you know anything about their personality??
  • edited November -1
    Body wise, from the ears back to the tail, looks very spitz-y / nihon kenish.

Its the face that is killing the illusion of nihon ken as it has a mustache like a terrier. I wonder tho, if we were to cut that mustache off if the mouth would be terrier-like or spitz like? It's hard to tell since the one in the photos have different mouths.

They are definitely unique looking tho! :) ~
  • edited November 2009
    Wow that is interesting....looks like a West Highland terrier mixed with a Jindo or Kishu. I wonder how much they bark and what their character is. They are very pink in pigment.... No dark on the eye rim or lips.

You know there was something in archeology about Scottish or Celt individuals arriving in china eons ago. I think some mummies were unearthed 10 yrs ago in an archeology dig China. The individuals had plad wool tartans celt pins and red hair. I would not be surprised if they had some dogs with them.

Here is a link to the most recent find
    http://heritage-key.com/blogs/malcolmj/celt-china-mysterious-origins-cherchen-man

Snf
  • edited November -1
    How cool! Thanx for sharing! That's super interesting.

I am usually not a fan of wired-haired or bearded dogs, but those dogs are really cool - and super cute!

Thanx!

----
  • edited November -1
    Cute! They remind me a little bit of a wire-haired Ibizan hound.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I don't really know much about them or their personality. The only additional information that I can add is that they're from the GuiZhou area of China.
  • edited May 2011
    The Xiasi Quan is used as a house guardian, a companion, a boar hunter and a meat dog. Sometimes it is also a fighting dog but rarely.
    The breed is gaining popularity in China. It has a strong character and lots of personality. That's a very versatile dog.
    The Xiasi quans I have seen in the flesh were rather obedient for primitive spitzes and very pleasant.
    Note that a short-coated variety is also raised but in the mountainous areas the wire-haired one is preferred.
    A white coat (with pink nose, eyelids and lips) is the only allowed colour in the official Chinese standard but black, slate-blue, yellow and brindle dogs are found too.

• Wire-haired primitive spitzes are not uncommon in China and other Asiatic countries. They are specially numerous in provinces such as Guizhou, Guangxi and Hunan for example.
  • Wow, interesting looking dogs! Thanks for the new pics, too, Philippe. for some reason, I couldn't see Ann's pics, and I was mighty curious!
  • What other countries besides China has wired-haired primitive spitzes?
  • edited May 2011
    You can find wire-haired primitive spitzes in upper Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and Burma too. These dogs are bred by ethnic minorities related if not similar to those found in southern China.
  • Cool. That off-coloured, wet 'stache reminds me of why I don't own dogs with hairy muzzles, though, lol. Messy dog mouths aren't my thing.
  • Very interesting -- thanks for sharing!

I suspect some of the more interesting histories of Chinese dogs lies with the ethnic minorities. Always looking to find out more.