Puppy Supplies

edited October 2009 in Products & DIY
Hello!
To those who don't remember since I haven't posted anything in a while. I'm Tara from Reno. I'm on a long waiting list for a Shikoku pup from Katja.

I'm thinking up a list of supplies I'll need before I get my puppy and just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything important. If anyone has suggestions for supplies I didn't think of, that would be great!

Since I have such a long wait, I'm going to at least entertain myself with buying all this stuff. Plus, it makes it seem more real. Ok, here's my list.

1) Out-door dog Kennel + Roof (5'X10'X6') - found a really nice one online " L BAR M Ranch Products"
2) indoor crate
3) water fountain bowl + food bowl
4) storage food bin (2 for food rotation)
5) nail grinder or clipper
6) brush + shampoo
7) toys + treats
8) leash + collar or harness
9) clicker
10) pooper scooper
11) doghouse to go in outdoor kennel.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I would add an expen and baby gates. Koda and I will be up in Reno Thanksgiving weekend if you ever want to meet a Kai.
  • edited November -1
    I was actually thinking of baby gates, I'll add that onto the list. Thanks for the advice. What do you usually use the expen for?

WOW! I would love to meet a Kai. I should be in Reno for Thanksgiving too : ) That would be fun!
  • edited October 2009
    Tara,
    The expen is like a safe playpen to keep your puppy in inside when your not able to be watching her/him.you can connect the indoor crate to it so she has the option to go into the crate to sleep.But at night put her in the crate closed,she'll then realize the crate is for sleeping. If your putting the xpen on carpet, you might want to purchase a cheap piece of linolium to put under the pen,that way any accidents are easily cleaned up.
  • edited November -1
    Get an one of those accordion folders, these are great for keeping all puppy related paperwork (vet receipts, liscense/club registry papers, etc) together and organized. I also have a section for interesting facts and parasite descriptions.
  • edited October 2009
    Get both a collar and harness. Put ID on both when you get the fur person. Keep collar on when at home. Use harness when walking/out of house. This recommendation comes from Shiba experience with Sukoshi getting out of collar at local park.

Two leashes - standard 6 ft. and longer flexi or tracking lead. That way you can walk dog in either city or more rural situations. (Many dog training classes insist that dogs be brought in on a standard 6 ft. lead)

Make note to have dog microchipped (if not already) and register the chip.

Things to think about: Tarps to attach to side of kennel to reduce rain in kennel during storms??? Shade cloth in summer? (Depending on where you put the kennel).
  • edited November -1
    I now use the expen to gate around my living room furniture. Koda, the little smart man that he is learned that he could climb it at 9 months. I don't however think a Shikoku would do this. It's good because it is bigger than a regular gate. I bought a 48" tall one on ebay for $45 with shipping. Nice! :) When he was in my dining room, I put cheap linoleum over the hardwood floors.

We should be up in Reno for that four day weekend. I'll email you a couple weeks before. Maybe we could meet up at a park somewhere. Koda may need a little run around time away from my sister's busy house.
  • edited November -1
    You might find this forum article useful: Pending Puppy Owners: Puppy Supply List. ~
  • edited November -1
    Dave- Thanks for the info on xpens. It sounds very helpful to have, especially when my puppy first comes home with me.

Beth- Accordion file is added to the list. Thanks.

On the subject of security, I agree that dog theft is a real danger anywhere especially for a rare and beautiful breed like the Shikoku or any pure breed for that matter. I have personal experience, in fact. . . my mother's 6 month old border collie puppy was stolen out of her backyard a few years ago. It was really a nightmare, the saddest thing ever. I live very close to my mom and was very attached to "Ringo". He was such a cutie and so sweet. During that time some other dogs were stolen in the neighborhood, so we're pretty sure that's what happened.

I plan on putting the kennel on the side of the house in the backyard. It's not visible to strangers and I plan on locking it during the day when I'm not home, so hopefully nothing like that will happen again. I would also think that as my puppy gets older, people will be less tempted to steal.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions : )
  • edited October 2009
    Tara- that sounds great! There's actually a nice dog park right near my house. (Rancho San Rafael Park).

Osy- thanks for the link. I'll definitely take a look.
  • edited November -1
    Have fun shopping :D ~
  • edited November -1
    Ooh nice pick. I just yelped the park and it looks nice. Koda will love it.
  • edited November -1
    Depending on your car and whether you have room, a crate for the car. You'll be taking your new puppy to new places for socialization to people and exposure to new experiences, sights and sounds, right? :)
  • edited November -1
    Marion- Yes, I will be taking my puppy out places for socialization . . .etc I guess I was thinking I would just use the same crate for the car and for inside the house. It would be easier to just keep one in my car though. Less lugging around to do : )

Would anyone have any thoughts on which type of small crate is better? The plastic ones with the wire front or the completely wire mesh crate? I think I've seen a lot of people on the forum with completely wire mesh crates, no plastic. Also, would you suggest I get a slightly large crate that my puppy could grow into or would that mess with potty training. I've heard that the crate has to be a small enough place for the dog to not want to pee in.
  • edited November -1
    Some of the all-metal ones have divider panels so that you can adjust the size as the puppy grows. I actually prefer the metal ones, but I have plastic ones because two of them were given to me and one was bought before I decided I liked metal crates. The metal ones can fold up so nicely.

I don't put the pups in a crate when I'm in the car, though, they ride in the back of my station wagon.
  • edited November -1
    I don't crate mine in the car either, I don't even think 3 crates would fit in the back of my SUV. They stay in the cargo area and I tie their leashes to the cargo tie-downs if they are particularly jumpy and hopping seats or bouncing around.
  • edited November -1
    Would anyone have any thoughts on which type of small crate is better? The plastic ones with the wire front or the completely wire mesh crate? I think I've seen a lot of people on the forum with completely wire mesh crates, no plastic.

I guess I do way more car driving than most of you do.

The crates are first a safety measure, as you well know. There have been lots of stories of car accidents where the people were killed or severely injured but the dogs inside crates were just fine. Scared sh*tless but safe and confined. It's fun to let them ride loose; it's also fun for your child or dog to ride with his head out the window. But we don't allow it on safety grounds. If they get thrown out of the car, they're dead.

Whether to use plastic or wire may depend on where you live and how hot it gets. Coming originally from Virginia, everything we did for our dogs was aimed at keeping them cool. Wire crates are cooler, I think. I know we all have air conditioning, but there are also times (like doggy picnics or get togethers, safe places like that where the car is nearby) where you can open up both sides of the car and have the breeze blow through onto your dog in a wire crate.

If you are not going to drive much, and don't mind moving your crate back and forth, it may be sufficient for your needs. Those of us who drive to agility trials and shows and need a crate in the car, in the hotel room and at the show site get tired of lugging things back and forth. I'm proud to say that I have two dogs and own 10 crates. :-O Home, car, softsided ones on top of the wire ones in the car, puppy crates no longer being used, wire, plastic for sleeping, one at the training building -- you name it. I have it! Some of them look like garage sale rejects, but they're still serviceable. You just can't have too many crates! :)
  • edited November -1
    10 crates! lol Marion do you buy in bulk at Costco? ha ha ha. I do not drive with Koda in a crate, but I should! The only reason why I haven't is because after the airplane ride, he freaks out in a crate in the car. But that's not a good excuse. I should work on training him to stay in the crate. I always wonder what I would do if my lil' man got hurt cause I didn't spend the time to get him comfortable in the crate in the car.

I use a wire crate at night because Koda gets hot during the summer time and it helps to keep him cool. I have a cooling type bed in their as well since he gets hot during the summer on a dog pillow bed.
  • edited November -1
    I know an obedience competitor who had 3 dogs, and she had 18 crates! We had a crate-counting contest one time....

My crates have been bought one at a time -- doesn't seem as expensive that way, LOL I still have the large wire crate that I used for my Ridgeback back in the early '80's -- it's still in great shape. Nowadays I just set it up and leave it up as a permanent bed/den. Finn hates it. :-) First dog that I've ever had that never liked his crate. Too big, I guess.

I've long ago given up on plush beds and pillows. Both of my dogs have northern-breed coats and simply get too hot in the house. I resort to flat mats and rugs. Blind Jesse can't handle anything too complicated anyhow. We don't have air conditioning here in Montana, so for really hot nights, I keep Jesse on flat bedding inside an xpen outside in the garage. He's been very comfortable there - or I just let him sleep open air in the grass. Even better.

One last tip on crate bedding: this would be for the non-puppy, non-chewer. You know how dogs like to dig in their bedding, make a nest, scrunch things under them? I have one large Vari-Kennel set up with a flat rug on the bottom. I started throwing in my old, holy, torn clothes after I washed them -- clothes that were too bad even for Goodwill to recycle. Old sweatshirts, t-shirts, sweaters, towels. Finn can rearrange things to his heart's content. Every so often I throw the whole batch in the wash machine by itself so I don't get it mixed up with anything else, and when it's clean and dry, just toss it all back into the crate. Finn will go in there and I can hear him dig around. He doesn't stay for long, but at least he can get comfortable if he wants to. No couches or chairs down here in the computer room for them to sleep on.
  • edited November -1
    The scraps of clothing is a good idea. Koda likes to burry his head and sometimes parts of his body under pillow, blankets, etc. He would like that.
  • edited October 2009
    Hrrm, I have 7 crates for the 2 dogs and was feeling like I might need a few more softsided ones. I guess 8-9 isn't too extreme ;)
    I think I managed to fit 3 shiba in varikennels in my Civic. It wasn't pretty but they fit.
  • edited November -1
    Lindsay, you know what the next step is. You buy a car that will comfortably accommodate the dogs that you have --- plus all of the stuff that goes along with chauffeuring those dogs..... :)
  • edited November -1
    A larger vehicle (thinking of the Honda Pilot or something like that) is the next step AFTER the property purchase. I was warned in all fairness that this was the slippery slope of the dedicated dog fanatic. Soon enough I will be scrounging for more dog beds, securing kennel supplies for dogs that don't even exist, and hoarding cyclone fencing material like it was gold.