Puppy Food for Medium sized breeds

I'm not as well versed in puppy kibbles as I would like to be, but for medium sized projection size (like 30-50lb) dogs, what is an ideal puppy kibble?

How long do you keep pups on this formula?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Hmmm..

To err on the safe side of Cals/Phos levels for growing bones, I'd go with a high quality large puppy food, or an appropriate ALS food. A good one is Acana Provincial lines, which is also grainfree. That way you don't have to worry as much about when to transition to adult.

For the large dogs I like to keep them on an appropriate puppy food (if we're feeding puppy kibble and not ALS) for at least 1 year.. I'm not sure about medium sized dogs, but as you know most adult foods have way too much phos/cal levels, and that has a detrimental affect on growing bone density.
  • edited November -1
    I started raw at six months. I fed Miko Orijen puppy.
  • edited November -1
    My intention is raw, but as a just in case back up plan.

My projection is a 50lb dog, the pup is approx 9-10 weeks old. Raw will actually be easier for me to gauge.

Legacy Puppy looks awesome, but I'm concerned with the Cal/Phos ratio.
    http://www.horizonpetfood.com/Products/dog_legacy.html
  • edited September 2009
    I looked at Horizon before, but I don't think outside of Orijen and Acana, any other grain-free line is appropriate for ANY puppy in terms of Cal/Phos levels. Just the calcium level of 1.94% is, as you know, way too high for a puppy.
  • edited November -1
    I say just do raw
  • edited September 2009
    I agree with Jessica. Wean them off whatever kibble they're currently on, directly to raw.

Jack was/is fed both Orijen Large Breed Puppy and Orijen Puppy. He is still on it at 1 year 4 months per vet recommendation to fatten him up a little.
  • edited September 2009
    Go with what you know, if raw is easier for you then why do kibble.

On the other hand, I had Tikaani on the Wellness puppy up until about 11 months old, then switched to adult Wellness.

Curious, why is it you are asking about feeding a medium sized pups?
  • edited November -1
    http://www.wayeh.com/barf/barf-puppies.htm

In case anyone is interested, its a really awesome detail puppy on raw thing.

The ideal is raw, the plan is raw.

Any opinions on Solid Gold Wolfcub?
    http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=61&code=180
  • edited November -1
    Jen, what kinda raw feeder are you? I don't subscribe to BARF - I do prey model, so I was wondering, because that link you gave is BARF raw feeding.
  • edited November -1
    I can't really call myself one classification of raw over the other because if we can we do premade, other times we'll do a prey model style, and sometimes we feed more of a BARF style with veggie/organ mixes. And then sometimes we feed dehydrated, canned or grain free kibble when we have fosters or low availability to some things. It varies.
  • edited November -1
    Oh okay. Eh, variety is the spice of life. I'm sure you're doing whatever works for the dogs. ;)
  • ive been feeding orijen puppy to ghost (shikoku) but for the last little while its been quite hard to get him to eat it. i think he is now bored of the food/taste because if i let him try a different kibble he readily munches on it. ive also just recently started to feed him some raw food, basically kibble in the am and raw at night. thats probably not helping with his fussiness with the orijen puppy. i may just go full raw one day, but for now ill be mixing it up.

anyways im looking for another kibble to try and i called champion pet foods and i was told that it was ok to give the puppy any of the orijen products and also any acana grain free products, as long as i follow the puppy feeding guidelines. i figure ill try out a bag of orijen regional red and see how he likes it. what do you guys think about that?
  • I fed Acana but switched over to TOTW puppy formula to give it a try. My pup seems to really like it.