Suggestions for boy shiba names?

We're thinking of some male shiba names, but are kind of stuck. We're looking for something original.

I like
Daisuke
Ototo
Koshou
kintaro

Would having two dogs with the same sound at the beggining of their name be to confusing for them?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Do you know the meanings to them all? I like Ototo personally, it's very unique.
  • edited November -1
    I like Daisuke. That would be a name I would use. Could be Dai or Suke for short.
  • Ototo means little brother
    Koshou mean pepper
    kintaro mean golden boy
    Daisuke means great help.
  • edited November -1
    two of them are too often used as people names so I wouldn't use them, personally..it'd be strange to call my dog the same name as people i know, lol. but i like koshou. ;)
  • edited November -1
    Daisuke would have to be a red sox fan :P

I like Koshou the best.
  • You don't think Koshou and Katsu are too close.

Daisuke wouldn't have to be a Redsox fan. He'd have to be a Japanese national team at the World Baseball Classic fan.
  • edited November -1
    Koshou and Katsu are sort of close..

I like Ototo! How fun.
  • edited November -1
    I sometimes think it really doesn't matter if the names are too close.. since my dogs recongizes each other's name. Jada thinks "Pong Pong" equals food so she comes running when I call for Pongy. I like Ototo because it sounds so close to Totoro :)
  • edited November -1
    Well, our dogs' names are Lantis, Luna, and Lilith. They never get confused, lol. So I agree with Jenny.. in a different sort of way.
  • edited November -1
    "Jada thinks "pong pong" equals food..."

Oh Jada, you are a silly shiba!
  • edited November -1
    OT - since we're not writing in "correct" romanization, I have to ask.. Jenny, is Pong Pong your Shiba named "Fatty"?! lol!
  • edited November -1
    hehe yes. There was a dolphin at an amusement park in Taiwan called Pong Pong and I was like "Perfect!"
  • edited November -1
    Think of it like "Tetsu and Tikaani" it just GOES... :)

so think: "Katsu and...Kintaro" :)
    Katsu and Koshou :? can't decide if its beautifully poetic to humans outwiehgs possible confusion to dogs
    Katsu and Ototo :)
    Katsu and Daisuke :(

(since you know japanese words- can you tell me the word for pinecone?)
  • edited November -1
    My mother's and sister's dogs all have similar sounding names (Teddy, Petey, Femi) and there has been no confusion between the dogs when calling for one of them. And then, my guys, Teddy and a friends dog (Terry) all start with a similar sound, 'te' and 'ti' ('ti' is pronounced like you would in 'tick'), and there hasn't been any confusion when calling for one dog with all present.
  • edited November -1
    Of those names, I like Kintaro the best. Don't worry about your dogs getting confused, they're pretty smart. For example, Jack knows "lay down" means, well, lay down. Yet "down" means "get off the furniture". So similar, yet he doesn't get them confused.

Chrystal - the Japanese word for pinecone is "matsukasa".
  • edited November -1
    oo- Thank you!
  • edited November -1
    How about "Kaicho" :)?

Although, if I were you I'd be looking for the Japanese word for bean. So you'd own "Pork n Beans"...mmmmmm...okay I'm going to lunch.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Haha Jesse, unfortunately that would be "mame".. and on this board, nobody seems to like that connotation much. That's hilarious though.. pork cutlets and beans..
  • edited November -1
    I vote Mame! Screw the connotation. Pork n Beans is AWESOME!
  • edited September 2009
    And imagine if Mame grows to be an oversize shiba, how ironic would that be.
  • edited November -1
    What about Adzuki?
    Then it will be pork and bean! and not mame
  • edited November -1
    What about DAIZU? it means "big" bean.. aka soybean.. or SHOUZU.. which means 'small' bean (mainly azuki).
  • edited November -1
    Joe, the dog needs to be a bean dammit
  • edited November -1
    The way I roll, I'd go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_samurai and pick a first name (which comes second, remember) that rolled off the tongue good, and/or was somebody who sounded neat. Then I'd experiment with it to see what it sounds like when you call it in a rising tone for recall, or use a lot of low tones for warning / correction. Then I'd run it by people who aren't familiar with Japanese crap and see if they can handle it.

I guess you could also hit like, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_dishes or just anything in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japan-related_lists and pick out anything that sounds good and has a meaning that strikes your fancy. I like naming dogs after legendary warriors myself, but we've definately got a lot of food-themed names around here.

My dog Tomoe is coming on thursday...she's named after an alleged female samurai who has been reified into like a patron goddess of the naginata. When we're calling her we can say "tomoe!" in a rising tone and when we're warning or scolding her we can say "TOMO." People have a tough time with the double-vowel but I think they'll pick it up, or they can just call her Tomo.
  • edited November -1
    This is who Himiko is named after,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himiko_(queen)
  • edited November -1
    it's still kinda odd to me to hear people names used for dogs.. I personally can't name my dog Lancelot or even Obama.. LOL
  • edited November -1
    LOL you guys are a riot! HAHAH I LOVE the pork and Beans idea!!!!

I've got to say...I think I missed the update about you guys getting a second dog. CONGRATS!

And as far as dogs getting confused.... Our dogs are "honey" and "squirt". Honey knows her name....But EVERY TIME we call Honey...Squirts comes HAULING around the corner. I think he figures that's his name too! hahah SIlly doggy!
  • edited November -1
    Jing, I also had a cat named Charles Bronson and a chinchilla named Yaphet Koto.
  • edited November -1
    Yuki, giving dogs people names is pretty common in American dogdom though. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if somebody introduced their dog to me as Benji, Besty, Jake, Jack, Ruby, Buddy, Bruce, etc.
  • edited November -1
    I think giving dogs people names is just another small and symbolic way of Americans anthropomorphizing the dogs as a child or living thing dependent of their care. It does beg the question though. If the Japanese see it weird to give their dogs people names, what is the normal convention for them to name their dogs? I know of one Japanese woman who thinks its very odd to name our dogs after food (i.e. Miso, Mochi, etc.) Do the Japanese use names like ones people often bestowed upon show dogs like, "Thorn of My Mother-in-Law's Backside" or "Maiden's Tear of the Morning"?

Jesse
This discussion has been closed.