A comfy non-slippable Harness- is the RuffWear one?

edited August 2009 in Products & DIY
Sage is a very slippery guy and has slipped traditional harnesses, the gentle leader easy walk (my FOOT) harness, AND the Ruff Rider Roadie which is too tight for him now. Sage doesn't go offleash anymore in public, so I'd LIKE to use a harness when long lining the Boy on casual hikes in the woods. How do you guys like the Ruffwear WebMaster one for it's slippabilty? The ads say its hard to escape, but I'd rather know what real people think. He just backs out, I mean you can tighten that girth but at some point it chafes the armpits, so the third strap on the WebMaster looks helpful in that regard, plus It looks comfortable on the dog compared to other unslippable options.

Are the harnesses police/SAR dogs use unslippable? They dont look it, but what do I know? How about agitation harnesses?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Not sure about a non-slip harness, but why not try attaching his current harness to his collar so that even if he does slip out, he's still leashed
  • edited November -1
    I have rigged up a little strap that went from the chest strap on the EZ Walk to the martingale collar, but when his head is down sniffing, he can step through it. I have even double leashed him, but I'm wondering if there's a less awkward solution out there already. I could maybe sew a strap with a clip to the front of the back of his plain harness, which eliminates escape but still I have to untangle him if/when he slips the harness and its all up around his head.
  • edited August 2009
    we had 2 leashes when we first got Shao New. One for her collar and one for her harness since she was an out of control pup that would escape her collar..maybe do that for awile until she gets her walking manners down pat. People might think you're nuts, but who cares, she's not going to get loose and get hit by a car ;-)
    *ps-during that time the harness was backup leash #2 but during training it was the collar leash #1 as the trainer.
  • edited November -1
    I changed my title up- I have done all the creative cheap solutions and as usual, if I just did the right thing the first time, I'd have fewer stories but spared the pain of trial and error and excessive straps and leashes. 2 leashes is fine up close but longlining will be frustrating. I really just want to know if the RuffWear Webmaster is close to as inescapable as they claim, and I know some of you use it and/or the packs based upon it.

I have my normal walks under control and he's good at loose leash walking, this is only for when I want to give him a long line in isolated areas. He doesnt need to be at heel all the time, but I can't responsibly run him offleash either, so I think a harness and a long line is a good choice for these lower key experiences. I relax if I know he is reasonably secure if we were to come upon a horse, say, or he gets stung by a bee. But my current harnesses are escapable and he knows it, even though he walks nicely. RuffWear says "Houdini dogs that manage to get out of traditional harnesses will find it nearly impossible to escape the Web Master." If true, I'll spend the $50 to try it. If not quite, I'll just long line him on the martingale.
  • edited November -1
    Mine haven't had any issues with theirs. This is a nice harness, and I really like the third and padded strap features. The sizing can be a little generous, however.
  • edited November -1
    what size did you get for Beebe and Ike?
  • edited November -1
    I think it's theirs are both XS. I need to double check.
  • edited November -1
    Ki has slipped collars (that's why his walk collar is a martingale) but he's never slipped his Ruff Wear harness (although he hasn't ever tried). He has been in obvious hate of other harnesses but he seems comfortable with this one. It hasn't fallen prey to his scissor teeth of remove collar/harness/leash +5.

And...not to sound like a fangirl (can't help it) but the weight of the pack seems to help with keeping him in the harness, too.