A new AKC Japanese import Champion

edited January 2008 in Akita (秋田犬)

I realize that this list is not overly interested in organized dog shows. In general, I think that's a good attitude. But to have impact on any breed's future it is my view that you have to "show the flag" and expose people to quality Japanese dogs so they can see the beauty of them.

I'll blame this on Rachael who urged me privately to "brag" a little. <lol>

Thursday night, our brindle male, Ryo, completed the final requirements for his AKC Championship. He is only the sixth Japanese import Akita to finish the AKC title and the only brindle Akita to do so.

He accomplished this at the Akita Club of America sanctioned Akita Specialty show (only Akitas) held near Daytona Beach,FL. He won best male (Winners Dog) and best class dog overall (Best Of Winners) prevailing over a large entry of "American type" dogs to win a 4-point major (points are available based on how many dogs are entered and defeated, and "majors" are wins of 3-5 points at a single show).

In the AKC, dogs must win 15 total points, including (two) major point wins to become an AKC Ch.

He is also the only US Akita to have achieved both the FCI International championship (very difficult to achieve in the Americas) and the AKC title. There is only one other dual Ch, an "American Akita" which now lives in Europe.

Most gratifying to me is that my partner, Donald, owner handled him exclusively to his AKC title and to his five FCI International and National titles.

We take pride in showing our Japanese dogs as ambassadors and representatives of the unique beauty and temperaments of artistic Japanese imports. Winning with them is a sometimes uphill battle, but that isn't our goal. Changing stereotypes about them is. I'm going to try to attached Ryo's photo below, but it can also be seen here: www.inu.com I'll also try to include a photo of our next import "up to bat," Tetsu (a red/urojiro).

I promise I won't bore the group with further dog show topics <lol>.

Michael

Comments

• edited November -1
    Congratulations! That is a SUPER accomplishment! You and your partner must be quite proud of your boy. He is truly beautiful. Good luck with him in the future!
  • edited November -1

Im glad you decided to "bore" us!  I will be glad to take the blame. Wink

Even if we arent in dog showing I know most if not all are all about getting these breeds out there, known and understood.  There are so many misconceptions about so many dogs and this is one very important and strong circuit that can educate others about such amazing creatures.  I know I love hearing about Miisan's accomplishments and none of it is a bore as long as you dumb it down for me.

You work so hard and have such an admirable dedication to this breed that you have more than every right to brag!  You have dedicated what, 30 years, to better this breed, educate and spread the word.  On many forums you and your partner are well known and praised.  As I have said before and will continue to do so, I have been told many times you have the best creatures to walk this earth and getting a pup from you is an honor and worth the wait.  And this comment is from people in the show circuit.

Continue to brag on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Side note:  I am not saying this to suck up.  I am already on the list for my Akita!Tongue out

• edited November -1

I am most certainly not bored. And I LOVE your brindle. How exciting that he is the first brindle to gain such awards!

Congratulations 

• edited November -1

I agree, not a bore at all Michael!

He is a very handsome dog!

Congrats!

• edited November -1

Just wanted to give my congrats!

Tis' very EXCITING news.