Has anyone ever seen this before?

edited January 2008 in Akita (秋田犬)

Today Hilo had a rawhide chew and was enjoying it, then the other dogs started to bug him for it, so he kept moving around.

Well I guess eventually he decided to make a game of it... He would put the chew in his mouth walk over to one of the dogs and press it against the side of their face - when the other dog went to get the chew Hilo would correct them rather aggressively. When the other dog backed down he would hold the chew to their face again.

Any idea what that's all about? Its like his "I dare you" game or something.

Anyone seen a dog do this before?

Comments

• edited November -1

Maybe he's saying "Look now, this is mine, ya see?  Stop following me around and trying to take it, or I will do this to you.  Don't make me paw slap you."  He is definetly the alpha dog it seems like in your house.  Kona will probably be a close second.  News kinda does that with Kohji, he will take a toy and put it right in his face and press it on him and make all these crazy noises.  But he never corrects Kohji for trying to take it or tug with him, he just wants to play.  However, he NEVER lets Kohji actually take it or win the game.      

• edited November -1

Yea, I think you are right - and with the addition of the new pup, the pack is a little extra over-the-top when asserting their pack position. Ahi was in an especially grumpy mood tonight and was guarding everything - her pen, the toys, her bed, etc... (I use "her", but really its all of the dogs' bed, she just likes it more).

I understand it, but it seems so silly for all of them to be so over-the-top due to the addition of a 8lb little guy - lol.

I have just never seen a dog (Hilo) rube it in another dogs face like that (literally). He was walking from dog to dog doing it, with his tail wagging and all. Strange.

• edited January 2008

From what I have seen in Rem, Akitas seem to enjoy the odd tussle and could look for it.

The three dogs I have had so far were all showing aggression in very different ways.

My first Dane was probably afraid, and would attack any male dog immediately, no matter whether it succumbed or not. He would leave alone some very big dogs. I would call that fearful aggression.

The second Dane was extremely good natured, did not chase or attack anything including cats, and if a smaller dog attacked him, he would put his tale down and go away. However if a really big dog showed up, like a Saint Bernard or similar, he was a killer and the few fights he had were over before they started. He had the other dog by the neck as soon as it was close enough. I guess it is because there was a Saint Bernard in the neighborhood which was bullying him when he was young and he transferred it to all big furry dogs. But I had the feeling he hated fighting and therefore was doubly fierce when he had to do it.

Rem seems to be enjoying the actual fight. Not that he has had any real fights, but he likes to show off in front of other dogs and constantly challenges them. Some dogs very readily show submission and he is not interested in them at all.

• edited November -1
    The strange thing about this is Hilo never shows aggression to our pack - if anything he allows them to bully him a little to much. I guess the addition of a male, even if he is 8 weeks old, has made him think he needs to push his weight around a bit more.
  • edited November -1

True alphas do not use force to show they are in charge (at least in wolves).  They often let the other dogs get away with things that you would not expect, because they know that the other dog knows who is really in charge.

If you have never seen the Discovery Channel specials on the Sawtooth Wolves you should find it (online, netflix, discovery.com) and watch it.  I know you (Brad) would love it, others most likely would too.

• edited November -1
    hum... i'll check it out. Thanx!
  • edited January 2008

Yes, very true Brandon.  Alpha pack leaders are calm, confidant dogs that don't need to enforce their rank(sounds like Hilo's temperment), all the other dogs just know and respect it.   The ones that fight the most are the ones that are in the middle, not the very bottom ranking, and obviously not the alpha dog.  The bottom ranking dogs will always stay in that position and know it, and they never challenge another to move up.  That's what the middle ranking dogs do, try to change and challenge each other's status, thus resulting in spars with their fellow pack members.  From what I've seen from your videos and what you've posted about Kona, he seems like a very confident dog, and I think Hilo knows this and he's reacting to it maybe?   

The tail wagging on Hilo's part while smushing the chew in the dog's faces might represent confidence as well, he might not have been doing that in a playful manner.  Kohji has rolled over on his belly for someone to pet him before and sometimes he will let them, but growl the whole time while wagging his tail.  I'm thinking "Can this behavior be any more confusing?".   I asked the behavior department at my work why he was doing this, and they said he was trying to say, "My growl is saying stop or I will bite you" and the tail wagging is a confidence thing backing up his signal to stop petting. 

And you mentioned the humping behavior that Kona's displaying already, holy crap Kohji didn't do that stuff till at least 6 months of age.   I think Kona's got Hilo all riled up!!     

• edited November -1

Yea, I think you are right on Kelly. I think we are in for it with Kona! I have noticed he is a pretty confidant dog and feels everyone should respect him - I think that is why he whines so loudly and never stops till he gets his way. Its as if he feels he shouldn't be treated that way and how dare we put him in a crate when the others are out! So, like you guys pointed out, Alpha dogs don't react to the crying or the growling - so Jen and I have to ignore his demands and whimpers... but man does it suck to listen to!

It will be interesting to see how it pans out with Hilo, he is a tough guy but he also seems to have a real "push over" side... he lets the Shikas do what ever they want to him. Sometimes I feel bad for him. lol Undecided

Hilo has a real cute relationship with Loa, she can get away with anything! No one can take a toy from him - but Loa will just walk right up and take it from him, tho I wouldn't say she is alpha.

----

Its interesting trying to guess the pack order - but I think it's pretty fluid and circumstantial.