fear and sensitivity

edited July 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
hey, so I just started noticing at almost 11 months of age toki is reacting more fearful to new things rather than the inquisitive/confident way he normally does.
I'm working with a trainer but just wanted to see if anyone had any tips on desensitization without creating a potentially risky situation. For example if I wanted him to see more kids, but don't know anyone with kids should I take him to the park and have him be around them or should I do something like walk around on my knees??? lol

Comments

• edited November -1
    If you start walking around on your knees acting like a kid...Toki might take YOU to training/behavior classes, lol. I do love doing silly fun things with the dogs to throw them off...such funny expressions...but sometimes they decide it fun to play along :p.

Well, I would suggest going somewhere where Toki IS comfortable. Also a place where there are kids within sight but far enough as to where Toki isn't and won't be bothered by them. You'll want to work him through this without forcing it on him. Allow him plenty of time to decide for himself whether the object/person of any age is "safe" or "potentially dangerous".

Gradually close in distance between "scary" object/persons on his terms. Favorites treats & toys are excellent reinforcers but don't be too hasty, even if you're getting great results. "Play it safe" and prolong good sessions. Eventually, would be nice if you can find some trustful and compentent children that know how to follow directions (you'd be surprise (maybe not) that even some adults can't follow directions around dogs) to help you out.

Have that child just sit there, ignoring the dog (no eye contact or interaction)...just randomly tossing out pieces of food. Eventually the idea is to get Toki to take food out of this child's hand...again...on his terms (whenever he's comfortable, no coaxing).

Everything slow and gradual...always positive...absolutely NO corrections.

If you're working with a trainer, that's good...make sure this trainer doesn't rush the process or give the dog corrections.

Also....if this is a "new" thing...it could be a kind of fluke/phase. I know sometimes handlers have simply just waited it out with good results (sometimes...not always).

My conclusion:

The important factor is to have him figure things out for himself that these "super scary" things...are really not so super scary after all (however long this make take). A little help with the motivation of food and/or favorite toys couldn't hurt...so long as they aren't forced. No corrections. And...uh...oh! No "coddling" or "obsessing" over him when he's afraid...if he runs up to you for "safety". It's "okay" to be there for support, but don't make a big deal out of it.

Hopes this helps!

Keep us/me posted on his progress.
  • edited November -1
    Oh and also...the taking of food from the child would be a step closer to the next. Which is Toki being comfortable taking food from this child's hand with confidence. Then you can slowly introduce interaction amongst the child and Toki.

If you're able to find compentent children for this...I would work it one child at a time...always starting over with each new child...as a kind of "introduction". At least until Toki gains his confidence back.
  • edited November -1
    You are entering the second fear period ans ShikokuSpirit gave you great advice.
  • edited November -1
    ahh yes, that is true, I didn't realize it would be so sudden and so noticeable, lol because of his age I thought we already passed it without me knowing.
    well at least I can make sure he gets good training,
    anyone have tips on other things like meeting strangers or other dogs without doggy day care (he is not ready for it yet)
    and is there a rhyme or reason to what suddenly becomes timid around, like all of a sudden he does not like his harness or leash. hopefully i didn' t do something with it that scared him
This discussion has been closed.