VCA Lakewood Animal Hospital in Cerritos, CA

edited July 2009 in Products & DIY
I went there on Monday, July 20, 2009 for after hours emergency care. I have never seen a group of people so money hungry in my life. Money comes first, not the animals or their owners. As I sat there sobbing because we decided to put Sassy to sleep I was told by my vet that even if she was treatable that I wouldn’t be able to afford it anyway. Well excuse me, just because I need more than 20 minutes to get together $3000+ does not mean I cannot afford to help her. And even if I couldn’t afford the care, who is she to burden me with that guilt?

The front desk people aren’t any different. Money, money, money. Yes, I understand that it is a business but seriously, can you at least fake some compassion to a dying cat and her parents? It was the first and last time I will ever go to this hospital.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I am sorry to hear about your kit cat : ( It is never easy to make PTS decisions. May your kitty rest in peace.
    The medical field and vet field still has a ways to go in educating in terms of compassion for the living and hospice type services even in pets.

Having a vet with a good bedside manner is so essential and that is what is missing with so many practitioners.
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    Thanks SnF, we dropped her off to be cremated today. We get her back on Monday, I can't wait.

I know people get jaded when working with illnesses and deaths all day, everyday but I think the entire staff could have used a lot more tact. The other emergency animal hospital near me is also run by VCA but they have absolute angels working there, I love the staff.
  • edited July 2009
    Aww...I'm sorry Rina. I've lost one of my kittys while at the vet as well. I know the feeling. May Miss Sassy continue to be with you forever in spirit.

I wish you all the best with her ashes. What do you plan on doing with them, if you don't mind my asking?

----------------------

That's really horrible about the staff. I've gone to many, many vets just to find competent, considerate & compassionate staff. Those three C's are highly important.
  • edited November -1
    So sorry to hear about Sassy. I'm also sorry to hear that when you needed someone to be nice you ended up with a bunch of idiots.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Rina,

I'm very sorry for your loss...and shocked anybody would say such things to a grieving family.

I'm really horrid at words of sympathy, but just wanted to let you know I know how you feel losing your pet at the Emergency vet, and my sympathy goes out to you and your family.
  • edited November -1
    What a horrible experience =0( I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm also sorry that you had to make that decision about Sassy. Know that her memories with you will always live on, and she's much more comfortable where she is now. May her little body rest in peace, but her soul carry on with you forever.
  • edited November -1
    Poor kitty, very sorry. What a cruel thing to try and make you feel guilty when you are already frantic and worried.