For me to pee on!

edited July 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
So I take Ichi on his routine 0.5 mile poop walk (doesn't poop till the last 100 ft) when I encounter a woman walking her 2 intact pugs (brothers). Ichi gets all excited, hackles up and starts play bowing to within 6 inches of them and darting away (I know, he's rude). Well, one of the dogs circles back behinds me and peed on the back of my calf!

The owner caught him in the act and was horrified. She exclaimed (I believe rhetorically), "Oh I'm so sorry! Why do they do that!!!" I just smiled,

"Umm...are your dogs intact?" (knowing full well they are).

"Yes," she answers.

"Yeah, they will tend to mark and claim territory more when they're like that. Do you have that problem with them in the house?"

"Oh, I didn't know that. And no, I've never had a problem with them in the house. Only outside. I'm really sorry."

"It's alright, have a nice day."

I could only smile and go about the start of my day.

Needless to say, Ichi was curious about the smell of the back of my leg the rest of the 100ft home.

Jesse

Comments

• edited November -1
    The pug owner must have been so embarrassed and surprised at your reaction
  • edited November -1
    This made me LOL! My husky (who was not intact) did that twice to the same person on two different occasions - I was mortified.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, my follow up question to that was going to be what do you guys think the rationale is of a dog to want to mark a human? Inanimate, static objects I can understand, but humans? I think I was more intrigued by the dog's behavior than I was mad at the dog/owner for doing it.

Jesse
  • edited July 2009
    Usually it isn't about the human, you are just a mark as in the stand still item such as a hydrant. Really it is about scenting and boundaries. It can be more prevalent with intact dogs but not always. Females sometimes will do this too, by peeing on a foot or over an object.

In many cases males are very excited to meet another new male and the result can be a pissing war. During the introduction excitement, whatever object is nearest will get a squirt. In some cases they will mark and remark on the same area for a 10 or 15 min time frame or until they run out. When all settles and things are more familiar then the activity usually reduces somewhat. It depends on the individual dogs.

In fact for newly introduced dogs in our home we place a belly band on males (neutered and/or intact) so that there isn't a need to mark the first object or corner and my dogs to remark over. Getting urine out is a nightmare so it is way easier to prevent it than to worry about the need to clean up.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the insight Patrice! I figured it had something to do with a "pissing match". Good thing my dog isn't a willing participant:)

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Hehe... that was an unexpected reaction you showed. I really liked that! I guess most peoples would been angry in that situation.
  • edited November -1
    The woman showed remorse and was embarassed and apologetic. She was already feeling what my yelling would've accomplished so I refrained. I've seen other instances (like in a meetup) where a dog did that and the owner was too embarassed to apologize to the person until much later...online...

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    I know from Kuma (akashimas) that he sometimes tries to piss on you if you are in his kennel showing him your back...always had an eye on him :)

Sophie does the opposite... if theres an intact male she always stands underneath that pissing guy (if he is big enough)..dont know why but its always funny...and smelly...:)
  • edited November -1
    I have only been pissed on by a shiba. And he hadn't any "ink" left in the pen, fortunately. His owner was aghast nonetheless. No harm, no foul. Plus this was Reilly's old friend Yoyo, from obedience class, and we liked him. Sadly Yoyo moved away to Minnesota a few years ago- Reilly was one of few dogs he felt really comfortable with here. I must find my photo of Yoyo...
  • edited November -1
    "Sophie does the opposite... if theres an intact male she always stands underneath that pissing guy"

Keepin' the dirty thougths to myself, but Sophie sounds like a freak. lolol.

Thank goodness I haven't been peed on, but there's a long haired Chihauha who goes to my vet, he's 1 now, and everytime I go there he's there for some reason. This little sh*t marks everything. He tried to pee on Koda but I snatched him up quickly. Then he peed on the chair legs, scale, and front desk. I said the same thing to his owner about neutering. The guy laughed and said he was small so he ran out of pee a lot. Like this made it ok to piss on everything until he ran out. I can't stand that guy.
  • edited November -1
    Come to think of it, at least it wasn't a male cat. Cat piss stinks more than anything

I was watching tv with Tom at my mom's house and Tom felt a warm spot on the back of his neck. He turned to look and was staring at a cats butt. Apparently, one of my sisters had brought in one of the outside cats, and he decided to mark Tom's neck. He smelt like cat piss for a week.
  • edited November -1
    ugghh.
  • edited November -1
    Shower, shower, shower...repeat. :p ~
  • edited November -1
    I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who gets peed on ;o)

Although mine was in the middle of the night and there was a LOT of it lol!
  • edited November -1
    Ike gets impatient and pee-pees on the girls when they are going. He's too lazy to wait for them to find just the right hidey spot behind tall grass so he can mark over, so he just goes on them while they're going if they take too long. I can tell he is going to try this when he starts sideling up next to them, and so am able to divert him. He is definately marking.
  • edited November -1
    Akira has been neutered at 7 months but he still pees on other dog, on people's stuff, on people, on benches where some people are sitting :( it's really embarassing but fortunately I can stop him most of the time.
  • edited July 2009
    Beth, your story about Tom made me LOL.

Oh, and Hachi (spayed female) has peed on Tsuki (spayed female) so many times I lost count.. its kind of crazy.
  • edited November -1
    I find it funny when a male dog lifts his leg to pee, usually on a tall blade of grass or a very small shrub, and a smaller dog will just walk obliviously into the 'line of fire'. That's happened to Tetsu a few times, but he also gets curious as to why they have to lift their leg.
  • edited November -1
    Hachi lifts her leg to pee, it cracks me up every time.
  • edited November -1
    So, today Mochi was my demo dog. At the end of the obedience class someone asked if she should hold Mochi while I helped someone else out and guess what Mochi did... he peed on her leg!!!! I apologized (and was lmao inside) of course and luckily my husband was there and we at least had some hand sanitizer on us! I was like... earth, please swallow me now! This was the very first class I taught and Mochi peed on this lady... LOL. She was really nice about it though and didn't make a huge deal out of it either. But hey, she wanted to hold my dog ;oP
This discussion has been closed.