Is my Shiba normal?

edited July 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
So I've had Space since April, and he's been great.

It took a while for him to finally meet some Shibas but he's now met 3 others. All older, and all absolute jerks! Everyone has been snappy and growly at the site of Space, and it hasn't gone well. Space gets in his play bow and wants to just jump around and play, and the other Shibas growl and snap. They've also been afraid of strangers as well.

I'm wondering, is Space (6 months) going to keep his pleasant temperament? I've never heard him growl, and he has never snapped at anyone/thing. I'd say his biggest flaw is that he really loves humping other dogs.

So, does aggression develop over time?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Well First, and most importantly, let me say that you are REALLY slacking on the Space Spam!!!!!! lol

Second, sounds like Space is doing great! I'm sure other posters will be able to answer your questions better than I would.........But I would DEFINATELY keep up the socializing! I hope you are able to find dogs closer to his age that may play nicer than the older shibas.

THIRD........ MORE SPAM!!!! hahaha
  • edited July 2009
    Sorry! Flickr Page !!!
  • edited November -1
    Tetsu, now that he's older, is somewhat stranger shy (especially around kids) and really doesn't like close contact playing with many dogs. But, I have found that he really only dislikes those things I hadn't exposed to him very much when he was younger. He has gotten better with kids in small doses, even went up to a toddler and licked his hand.

Many people take their puppy for advantage, expecting them to act the way they've been no matter what happens. But something will click in the puppies' heads at some point and they start to determine what they like or don't like. Shibas are the kind of dog where it's an absolute must to socialize them with as many nouns (people/place/thing) as possible.

Not all shibas are the same, not all personalities are the same. Some don't really like interacting with other dogs, some love to play with anything that moves. I feel that it's the experiences they have as puppies that will mostly determine how they will be as adults.
  • edited November -1
    Of all the shibas I've had to evaluate in the rescue/shelter system, only one got along with other dogs! She seemed to be the exception to the rule, and I guess you understand now why people assume Shibas are aggressive and troublesome.

If you don't keep on socializing with all kinds of dogs and people and places and sounds and objects, etc etc... your shiba may be headed down that road.

I think, like humans, dogs that are more adjusted to daily life and the sights and sounds and expectations of that life are a lot less stressed, enjoy more, and live longer. Keep doing what you are doing, and do it more and more and Space will be a good advocate for the breed!
  • edited November -1
    Now were the Shibas actually trying to attack Space or were they growly and snapping because they didn't want an over excited puppy trying to hump them or be all over them? A lot of older dogs don't like to put up with puppies, and their crazy energy.

However if they are not playing nice you don't want to keep Space around them. As others have said keep taking Space to meet new people and new dogs (that play nice). I wish I could have done those things for Nemo when he was a pup.
  • edited July 2009
    I've had Shira since the beginning of May, and I bring her around dogs as much as possible. In their presence she acts a lot like Space and wants to play with ALL of them! We met my friend's Shiba, Jake, a few weeks ago and he was just as playful. Even though he is a big shiba (about 21inches & 40lbs) and she was tiny (5 or 6 pounds) he let her jump all over him and chase him in circles around the yard. I think there are probably genetic factors that go into it, but it's also really important to socialize pups well and it seems like you're just doing a better job than those others! :)
  • edited November -1
    awesome Zissou shirt, btw, in your flickr photos
  • edited November -1
    Just keep up on the socialization. Have you had any dogs over your place, or fed space around other dogs. Katsu's super sweet most of the time but we've found she can be food agressive with other dogs, and territorial if another dog comes over. We're working on it and we take her everywhere we go and try to get her to meet as many new people and have as many new experiences as possible.
  • edited November -1
    Also, I have found that it really helps to let a dog get to know your pups first before really expecting some play. When Tetsu first met Katsu, he was all like 'whatever, I'm just gonna lay under the bench and watch". But now that he's had a few play sessions with her and got to know her, not only will he wrestle and play chase with her but when he's tired he doesn't get pissy at her when she keeps chewing on his ears.
  • edited November -1
    Oliver is 11 months old now and loves all other dogs from the very beginning...but I think that's because I do try to socialize him with all the other dogs in the neighborhood as well as take him to the dog park.

On the other hand...he's still not to fond of people....no aggression but he does shy away from people (especially kids)........but if your walking your dog and you let him met him/her...he will let you pet him as long as he is on his leash as well. At the park when people lean down to pet him he moves away.

I hear his brother is the exact opposite.....lol....just like people, they all have different personalities.

Steve
  • edited November -1
    Definitely. The one subset of people that Space LOVES is children. He runs right up to children all the time. He was raised in a household with children, so that might be part of the reason.
  • edited November -1
    Mike,
    You have to take in the whole context. How were the owners of the other 3 dogs reacting? Were they jerks as well? Apologetic? Apathetic? Were they wary because they knew how their dog would react? Did they already pull their dog's leash taught before you even got near? Were the owners relaxed and surprised at their dog's reaction? How did your dog approach the other dogs? Made a bee-line for their face? approached in a semi-circle towards the other dog's butt? Assess both dog and owner and you should be able to get a clearer picture as to why the other dogs reacted the way they did.

My dog turns 1-year old next month (with Sake :) ) and he's just now defining/refining his personality. You have the ability to shape it, as long as you correctly assess the situations in their full context that you are exposing Space to.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Finally some Space spam! You were really slacking there. he he
  • edited November -1
    Your pup is fine, Shao New gets barked at all the time by the older dogs in our complex, and she always looks at them like they're nuts (but she does stop once they snap/bark at her). The hyper thing is normal, they're pups :) I say better to be super friendly than aggressive.
  • edited November -1
    Also, I'm sure after a few times Space will learn to ignore the dogs that bark at him constantly and just not approach them at all.
  • edited November -1
    Katsu loves kids too. I guess Alyssa's daughters really made an impression on the dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Older Shibas can get grouchy. Now that we have 3 Shibas in the house, one is 10 weeks old, we get to see how they interact much better. When people see the puppy trying to play with the older 2 they get worried, it looks very aggressive to them. I have to reassure people that the dogs are just fine. Shiba puppies are very hyper compared to older ones (by older I mean on is 9 and the other is almost 8). I know some members have videos showing how aggressive Shiba play can look. They are very vocal when playing and it sounds bad to anyone not very familiar with Shiba play. The older dogs you described sound like Sachi when she doesnt want to play. She will make a noise that sounds to other people like a growl, but its just a noise she make to let the puppy know she is irritated. Sachi will "snap" at the pup if she is persistent. It is really a half ass nip, and Sachi has never hurt her, or even made her yelp.Akira will show teeth at the puppy and do some sort of fake sneeze to show irritation. Then he just walks away.
    Many Shiba owners notice a personality change around the age of two.
  • edited November -1
    sozialising is important so go on!!

but be careful and read your dog, is he hyper because of positive excitement or is he hyper because the situation is overwhelming, also make sure that meeting dogs isnt alwyas a great party. There should be calm situations too so he dont learns other dogs = great party, excitement, hyper
  • edited November -1
    Hi I’m Ryan and I am extremely new here. I co-organize a Shiba Inu group in Sacramento and I’ve had plenty experiences introducing Shiba’s to each other. Usually we have about 20 or so at the monthly meetings and there are always new energetic puppies. Hopefully I’m not stepping on toes by giving my honest opinion.

One thing about older Shiba’s is that about half of them tend to not have much tolerance for younger pups. It is honestly the energy level and other factors that I’ll touch on in a second. Shiba’s are one of the breeds that I’ve seen that genuinely interact even better with each other. It is also important to note that with Shiba’s that sometimes a growl is just a growl. There growling at your dog may or may not have been hostile intent, and I’d say about 95% of the time there is no hostility involved. Shiba’s tend to growl at each other as a form of communication of boundaries. Though our first instinct is to say “Oh, that dog is being mean to my kid” it most often is simply the older dog saying “okay, these are the rules and this is the line you shouldn’t cross.”

It is also important to not react as the owner to be overprotective. I’ve seen a few instances where an overactive puppy has gotten rolled or nipped by an older dog. I say nip, because even with the meanest Shiba’s I’ve seen, they have never hurt a puppy. Admittedly, I may be just lucky in that regard. As a human we have to keep in mind that this is how older dogs teach pups the rules. Apparently the dog world believes in spankings still. I break it up as soon as I see the older dog start in, but just the scare tends to teach the younger dog boundaries.. Sometimes that is even more effective than us as humans trying to communicate boundaries to them at dog parks. I’m not advocating that you let your dog get bullied or beat-up, but just that dogs tend to teach each other boundaries and that growling is their minor offense.

One thing I did pick up from your post was that your dog is a humper. Don’t take this the wrong way, but with it happening with three separate Shiba’s, it could be that your dog is actually the offending party. We tend to see no faults in our own dogs and as humans we don’t pick up on a lot that goes on between two dogs. If older Shiba’s sense that your dog has any inkling of humping them, then they will growl. As they should. It may not look to you as if your dog has that leaning, but dogs can pick up on it at times. To a dog, especially a breed like a Shiba, there is only one greater disrespect than humping them. They don’t like a dog even thinking of it. In case you’re wondering the worst offense is to pee on another dog, which I’ve seen a young Shiba try to do to an older Shiba and puppies as well.

My point is that your dogs love of humping may be the issue here and not necessarily that all older Shiba’s get mean, though they get pretty cranky. I would work on breaking that habit (I just had to do that with my Shiba-Chihuahua mix even after he got fixed) and that went a long, long way towards his getting along with other Shibas. Now if after your dog is out of the humping stage and they still growl, then they just don’t like pups.
This discussion has been closed.