Kishu Inus

edited December 2007 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)

I was looking on the internet yesterday for more info on Hokkaidos and Kishus and I actually found a breeder for the Kishus. Her name is Carleen and she is from Texas. I emailed her and told her about this forum so hopefully she will come and talk to us more about the breed. They seem pretty similar to the Kai Ken and Hokkaidos except they come in all white. Here is her website:

http://www.kishuken-nel.com/

Comments

• edited November -1

I guess I should add Kishu to the forum too!  :c)

I think I have emailed this lady before too - did she respond to you?

• edited December 2007

Brad--

Yes she did email me back. She gave me prices on them and said there is a waiting list but she didnt say how long it was. She said that she may have puppies available this spring/summer. Do you want her email address?

• edited November -1

Oh, no... I don't need it. I was just wondering if you heard back and if she was still breeding them. I don't want one... we have enough dogs for now. lol

• edited November -1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Next Spring -

Brad: "Guess what? Jen and I are adding a Kishu to the pack!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lol. Then you will just need a Hokkaido Inu and a Kawakami Inu to complete your collection! -grins-

• edited December 2007

Alright Corina!

Way to throw a stumper in there! WHAT is a Kawakami Inu? I tried a bit of a search and I got a russian website that was just taking too long, and a bunch of pictures of sheep, and a rather vulgar spider (don't ask)

• edited November -1

lol - no... no Kishu for me.... maybe a Hokkaido one day (years from now).

But really - What is a Kawakami Inu?

• edited December 2007

A list of japanese breeds is a long one :)

Karafuto ken

The only one true japanese sled dog, this dogs were used during japanese Antarctica expedition. Comes from Sakhalin and Kouriles Islands, there are two dog types long and short haired, they are sometimes called Kuriru Ken, Etorofu Ken or in english Sakhalin Husky.

Koshi no inu

Probably the most unknown officialy registered as national monument japanese breed. It was registered as a national monument on December 28, 1934.
    This dog, of which there were several local alternatives, was
    originating in the prefectures in Fukui, Ishikawa and Toyama. Its size
    was approximately 50 cm. The last specimen died out in 1971. The second world war carried a fatal
    blow to him. Here are 2 photographs which I have just found:

Kawakami Ken

The size of Kawakami Ken varies from 38 to 45 cm for the males and
    from 35 to 42 for the females. As its name indicates it, the race
    comes from the village of Kawakami located in the district of
    Minamisaku (Prefecture of Nagano). It acts as one of the varieties of
    Shinshu Shiba. The
    prefecture of Nagano recognized this breed as a "natural monument". Probably only about 300 of them exist.

Those are pictures are takene from Nagano zoo!!

Ryukyu ken

Probably the oldest and most primitive japanese breed.

There is a little info on this rare race, recognized in
    Japan as a national heritage, but not recognized FCI or any other kynological organisation outside of Japan. It is a race which developed in the north of the Okinawa island, and
    in the archipelago of Ryukyu. During the second world war, Okinawa
    suffered from the bombardment, dogs were rather forsaken,
    and returned more or less to the wild life.

In 1995 goverment of Okinawa Prefecture decided to rebuild Ryukyu population and to make this breed another one national heritage. People of Okinawa calls it the dog-tiger, similar to Kai ken.

• edited November -1

WOW!

You are a wealth of information!

Thank you! 

• edited November -1
    So cool!
  • edited November -1

Thanx for the info - the Karafuto ken looks to be more my speed than the Kawakami Ken.

• edited November -1
    The Karafuto is lovely. But I have to say, I am now in LOVE with the Ryukyu ken! What amazing markings!!
  • edited November -1
    The Kawakami Ken's are adorable! They look like a bigger pomeranian. Cute little bear faces! I didn't know so many Japanese dog breeds exist! Thanks for the info!
  • edited November -1
    My cousin has a Ryukyu inu, probably a mix though. She lives in Killeen, TX. I've seen a few. I love them and really want one. It's seriously difficult to find them anywhere.
  • edited November -1

According to Wikipedia about the Karafuto ken

This breed's claim to fame came from the ill-fated 1958 Japanese research expedition to Antarctica, which made an emergency evacuation and was forced to leave behind 15 sled dogs. The researchers believed that a relief team would arrive within a few days, so they left the dogs chained up outside with a small supply of food; however, the weather turned bad and the team never made it to the outpost.

Incredibly, nearly one year later, a new expedition arrived and discovered that two of the dogs, "Taro" and "Jiro", had survived and they became instant heroes. Taro returned to Sapporo, Japan and lived at Hokkaido University until his death in 1970, after which he was stuffed [1] and put on display at the university's museum. Jiro died in Antarctica in 1960 of natural causes and the remains are located at the National Science Museum of Japan in Ueno Park.

The breed spiked in popularity upon the release of the 1983 film, Nankyoku Monogatari, about Taro and Jiro. A second 2006 film, Eight Below, provided a fictional version of the occurrence, but did not reference the breed. Instead, the film features only eight dogs: two Alaskan Malamutes and six Siberian Huskies.

• edited November -1
    I read that too - I also saw both of those films. I like the breed a lot and would love to talk to some people that have them... but I don't think that's gonna happen.
  • edited November -1

The Kishu was imported in the Netherlands about 8 years ago now.

The breeder is Monique van Gestel from Kennel of Mogeki. Which is to be found at www.kishu.nl

I imported this breed for her, while during the surch of the Shikoku 10 years ago I met some breeders in Japan. Later on we imported 2 males and one female trough the year.

Monique is breeding on a small bases.For more info check her site.

• edited January 2008

I have emailed this breeder about Kishus, she doesnt have any puppies right now, but then I found a breeder in Texas.

• edited November -1

I was actually referring to the Karafuto ken, I would love to find someone that breed them. Honestly, I can't say Kishu interest me that much.

Thanx for the info tho!  Smile

• edited November -1
    Brad I agree thats why I want a Hokkaido. Sealed
  • edited November -1

My brest friend is fond of Karafuto Ken... She dreams for years to get one from Japan...(And found some books...)

But It seems quite impossible : breed is not recognized... And the few breeders keeps their dogs between them...

We heard about a Karafuto club in Japan. My friend send them a letter (in japanese...) and she never had answer...

• edited November -1
    That's to bad. Frown
  • edited January 2008

That is to bad, Luckily I have been able to find Breeders of all the Dogs I am interested in (Belgian Malinois, Dutch Shepherd, Mudi, Lapponian Herder, Hokkaido and the Shikoku inu), so when I finish my degree, I hopefully will be able to start a pack.

• edited November -1

Evan--

Why wait?

• edited November -1
    Full time College is to much! Plus, It kinda Drained the bank.
  • edited January 2008

These were some really fascinating and enlightening breed abstracts and photos!

Ryukyu draws my attention is it's brindling is more like that on Boxers or Danes. It's smooth coat makes it attractive ... it isn't when such wide-spaced stripes are seen in Akitas. In the third and fourth photos of Ryukyu colors are surreal ... probably not accurate. Otherwise, a (to me) very primitive looking breed.  I love the lack of white markings.  Very different for Japanese Reconstruction breeds.

Thanks for the posting. I have only one request: send us more.

Michael

• edited November -1
    The Kawakami Ken Information sounds about right, however those photos don't look anything like the Kawakami's I've seen. I do have a photo somewhere of one at the 2006 Nihon Ken Show (which was held in Nagano, btw). I will dig through my photo box and see if I can get that pic off the disc. And also see if I can get the Japanese information sites on them, they have photos at least.
  • edited November -1
    It could be difference, becouse (in case of Kawakami Ken) those are puppies photo - I don't have pictures of adult dogs.
  • edited November -1
    I have some photos on 2 or 3 books... I will search them...
  • edited November -1

Its some pictures from my books (sorry for bad quality...) of Kawakami Ken :

image  image

image   image

• edited November -1

wow - those are pretty dogs. Now that I see the adults I am much more interested. lol