Dog beds - zipperless/indestructible?

edited July 2009 in Products & DIY
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any dog beds that were zipperless or "indestructible." My dog has unzipped every bed I've gotten for her to remove the stuffing. She does so in under 5 minutes, even if the zippers are zip tied together. And then whines that it's not as fluffy anymore when she wants to lay down, which we ignore.

I've tried using blankets, but then she takes it and tosses it on the couch and lays on it there, which she is not allowed on the couch. If she has a bed in the living area she'll lay on it instead of trying to get onto the couch.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Jessica uses Kuranda beds. They are off the floor and if I remember correctly - they are indestructible! My doggie daycare uses them too. Here is the link: Kuranda Dog Beds
  • edited November -1
    She is right. I use them. I love them. My dogs adore them. And they are completely indestructible.
  • edited November -1
    I use 5 dollar walmart pillows for dog beds. With old pillow cases so I can wash them. Its cheap for me if they destroy them and better than lying in the floor fro them.
  • edited July 2009
    I think I'll try the Kuranda Dog Bed. And it looks like they have a guarantee, which is great.

Thank you for the suggestions!
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for the suggestion of the Kuranda bed! It's working out great, I even bought the slip cover, Kaia isn't even trying to chew on it at all. It took her about an hour or so of investigating it before she would touch it, but now she lays on it whenever she's tired. So far it's lasted longer than the last fluffy dog bed we had (it lasted 5 minutes).
  • edited November -1
    I love the Kuranda beds. I doubt I will ever use anything else.
  • edited November -1
    Awesome, I'll have to look into these. Ki, gone so far as to chew the zipper off the dog bed in his enthusiasm of getting to the squishy bits. >_<

As an aside, he actually did really well when I had a futon cushion on the floor (the futon was convertable and had an extra smaller cushion to use when making it a full bed). I think that he had less interest in using as a chew toy because it was super firm. These elevated hammock type beds on the Kuaranda site seem like they would do the trick nicely!
  • edited November -1
    After Luna (we went out and brought new sets of everything for her), we learned not to buy puppies new things. All our puppies since have gotten "hand me downs" (except chew toys) from the older dogs until they learn to stop destroying them..lol
  • edited November -1
    I wouldn't say Kuranda beds are indestructable. I've seen dogs at the doggie daycare I used to work at completely wreck a bed by chewing on the legs (aka eating the legs) and SOMEHOW making a hole in the stretchy material. Maybe they weren't Kuranda beds material, but they were the same type of bed. However, if your dogs don't have problem with chewing on plastic when they're bored, it would be perfect for them. Definitely easier to fix if broken since you can usually get the parts that are damaged rather than replacing the whole thing.
  • edited November -1
    Ruby has chewed on the legs. But if that is a concern, you simply buy the aluminum frame instead.