My Mika had puppies

edited June 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Our red shiba had puppies, my wife got to see the birth of them, it was amazing to watch the dog do her thing, I saw it on video. It is truly amazing how Mika just knew what to do with the puppies and how to clean them up.

She had 3 black and tans and 1 Red or Red Sesame.

Attached are some pictures of the puppies

Comments

• edited November -1
    this little guy looks just like his dad Kado, we have named him little Kado, lol

heck even acts like him too
  • edited November -1
    Puppies! How Cute!

Didn't know you were planning a litter!
  • edited November -1
    This was our first litter, i don't like to get my hopes up but everything went perfect, had the vet on stand by just in case. We let mother nature do her thing and it was great. Most people will say that the father dog doesn't know they puppies are his, but Kado walked around for days proud and to this day loves to play with the pups. Mika was a great mother too
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't realize you were planning for pups, for some reason I thought your female wasn't that old - or at least not old enough to have definitive tests done on knees, etc. Either way, they are very cute and look like they'll have their father's markings.
  • edited June 2009
    The AKC has a great website about breeding and health testing, etc. that you might want to look into for your new furry friends.

http://www.akc.org/breeders/resp_breeding/Articles/breeder.cfm

Also the heath websites used:
    http://www.offa.org/
    http://www.vmdb.org/cerf.html
  • edited November -1
    tsukitsune, i agree with i thought she was to young too, however my dogs got stuck together when I was out of town, I have keep them apart.

However i took her to the vet all the time to make sure all was well and my vet was very happy with everything.

KFontaine04, I have read and read about becoming a breeder and what it takes to be a breeder, I think i would be happy with a litter once a year at the very most!!!

We have put a lot of work into making sure the puppies are healthy and stay healthy
  • edited November -1
    Glad the puppies are happy and healty! I agree with Jen, they do look like their father! Very Cute.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! they look so cute...
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations. How old are they?
  • edited November -1
    ... I didn't realize your dogs weren't fixed. I mean, its great and exciting to have a litter of puppies, but it is better to have testing done and to make sure your Shibas are actually of good breeding stock to reproduce. 1 year old is still rather young for a Shiba to breed, the best time is after 2 year old, after testing has been completed.

Glad to see she delivered her puppies safe and sound. Do you have homes for any of the puppies yet?
  • edited November -1
    What cute puppies...congrats!!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on the litter. Nice comforter too, we have the same one on our bed. Any chance you'll have any spare puppies just laying around?
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on the pups! I'm glad that everything went smoothly.

Of course we love the puppies. And I know you're very grateful to have them. Kinda sucks though to go out of town and then come home to find an earlier then planned litter.

Glad to hear you took everything in stride and did the obvious resposible thing to do, take care of Mommy's needs for herself & her pups. Now that the litter is on the ground, you could always go and get the prelims done on Mika & Kado. If you haven't done so already.

Now, I don't want to go around giving parential advice, but don't you think you should have given Mika and Kado "the talk" a lot sooner? LOL.

Do you have photos of the other pups? They're so freakin' adorable!
  • edited November -1
    They're so cute :) I love the first one he looks a lot like my Akira when he was a puppy !
  • edited November -1
    Aww! congrats they're such cuties! =)
  • edited November -1
    I can get more pictures tonight and as of right now none of the pups are spoken for. The pups will be 8 weeks old on 7/4/09

I know my dogs should have been a little bit older to have pups.
  • edited November -1
    Not to keep grilling you but...

What breeder did you get your dogs from?

When you place the pups, are you going to require them to be spuetered?
  • edited November -1
    both of my pups came from breeders in PA, i will have to look at there paperwork to get the exact names, they both came from to different breeders.

Yes i would like the new owners to get them spuetered
  • edited November -1
    Since it doesn't really sound like you have much experience in breeding, I'm curious how two separate breeders homed two potential-breeding dogs without a co-ownership.. I don't know of many breeders that would home breeding-quality dogs without co-ownership especially to a first timer. Did you contact your pup's breeders yet and let them know? If they're any good I think they'll probably want to mentor you through getting your dogs finished and appropriately tested/screened for genetic health problems if you're planning to have any more litters in the future.

Cute pups.. Shibas always looked like little bear cubs to me when they're so young..
  • edited November -1
    No more litters for us, its going to be hard selling these puppies as it is, I don't have a stone heart that a breeder has to have.
  • edited November -1
    Haha, that's just one way to look at it! Many breeders do it not because they have a stone heart, but because they have love for the breed and would love others to experience it too. Plus, many a "pet" puppy come as a fortunate "accident" in many show-breeders' quest for the next show-stopping pup...

Still, the breeders I've worked with have always found it hard to let go still... who wouldn't, with those fuzzy, warm little bodies and wet noses... <3
  • edited November -1
    What breeders in PA? I'm curious.
    The reason being, there really isn't many good Shiba breeders in PA, the majority are BYB and Puppy Mills.
  • edited November -1
    Pennsylvania is the 5th largest state in the country.

While indeed it is one of the hubs for puppy mills (Ohio, and Missouri being others) there in fact MAY be at least a couple respectable breeders. I just don't want this to turn into a huge flogging.

We want to be known as a friendly and informative group, not a judgmental one.

Perhaps we can focus on that fact that there are some lovely new puppies in the world.
  • edited November -1
    we want more puppy spam!!!!
  • edited November -1
    They are adorable lil fluff balls!!
  • edited November -1
    they are until the start chewing on your toys, lol

they are awesome, we have them pretty much house train, even though i find shibas are really good about not going in the house
  • edited November -1
    Where's the puppy spam????? You're gonna start a riot here if we dont get to see those fuzzy faces soon!!!! :D
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Katie :p
  • edited November -1
    WE WANT SPAM!

• edited November -1
    "I don't like spam!"

That is my all time favorite Python clip.
This discussion has been closed.