Meetup.com Long Island Shiba Meetup

There was a Shiba meetup today. Which I missed by the way. Dawn, her dad, and Katsu were able to go. She said they had a good time. I'm pretty pissed I missed it. Here's some spam.

The Three Stooges
P1050987

P1050999

P1050993P1050995

P1050990

P1050979

hey have you see my keys?
P1050975

P1050965

TIkaani, where he's the happiest. In a water bucket!
P1050963

Tikanni in exile to the big boy section.
P1050946

Roxy is not amused!
P1050937

P1050933

A ridgeless ridgeback?
P1050854

P1050924

P1050908

Hey you guys!!!

P1050882

Katsu pooped out an Arianna
P1050862

Comments

• edited November -1
    Looks like fun! We usually meet in the big dog area with our group - we have a few robust characters and to be honest the shibas play better with the big guys.
  • edited November -1
    I'll have my pics up soon enough...their still downloading.

LJ- I had posted a questionaire and one of the questions was "Which section would you prefer to play in, big or small?" and the vote was practically all small section, so thus that is where we meet.

Poor Tikaani, he wants to chew on shibas so bad...around the end, we eventually threw Tetsu into the big section so that they could beat each other up.

I was so proud of Tetsu with the fact that he was actually playing with Katsu. He doesn't get to really play with dogs his own size (many small dog people think that he's being aggressive), and when I saw that they were goofing around it made me very happy. Also, I have found that Tetsu is copying Tikaani's butt bump and used it a few times on Katsu. Too funny.
  • edited November -1
    The "small dog people" & the fact that we used to have Sasha (rottie-pit mix) plus an Eskimo puts us over in the big dog area. I'm glad you guys are getting a good turnout. Our meetup in July will be indoors because of the heat. Will you guys have to do that in July or August?

BTW, I love the butt bump or hip slam - it is just too cute!
  • edited November -1
    Not sure how to go about looking for a indoor place, it would be nice to have one set up for extreme weather days though. Luckily for us, we've got an open, field-like area and a wooded area in both sections for the dogs to romp around in.
  • edited November -1
    Look for any doggie daycare or specialty pet boutiques...then begin calling to see if they have a room they would allow a meetup in - most of the places around here charge a $25 fee for use of their room. My favorite place is a training facilty that opened up on their normal closed day. Nearly everyone purchased items that day that compensated for having someone come in for a couple of hours.

Trainers in NY:
    http://www.urbanpetguide.com/upg/new_york_city_pets/nyc_trainers.php

Pet Stores:
    http://www.urbanpetguide.com/upg/new_york_city_pets/nyc_pet_stores.php

Kennels (some of which are daycares):
    http://www.urbanpetguide.com/upg/new_york_city_pets/nyc_kennels.php

We do 4 indoor meetups a year, 2 in the hottest part of the summer and 2 in the coldest part of our winter.
  • edited November -1
    Actually, I do remember seeing some training facilities that offered event hosting while I was searching for classes for my boys...Thanks LJ, I'm checking out the links you posted right now
  • edited June 2009
    OK, here are my pics, as promised...

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Poor Tikaani in exile:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

You can kind of see his parti-eye coloring (which is not as extreme as others as his 'blue' s more of a silver):
    Photobucket

Well, one of the shibas found it fun to try to play with Tikaani through the fence:
    Photobucket

As well as everyone else would eventually visit Tikaani:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Some pics of Lucy Rose, a foster shiba that I've been following. She has gotten a lot better with strangers and have actually allowed us to pet her a bit. She has also recently had a cancerous breast tumor removed and should hopefully not spread. She will be going up for adoption soon, so hopefully she'll find her perfect forever home:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

And one last pic, Tetsu and Katsu don't mind sharing the water bowl:
    Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    Also, a while ago I had filled out an application to volunteer for the NY shiba rescue. Due to something or other, I shall now assist the Foster Program Director in finding and assessing future foster homes. I'm so excited and can't wait to help those poor pups in need.

Oh, might as well throw this in, there are about 3 shibas that they rescue is trying to get out of high kill shelters, and if you know anyone who is willing to foster, please help spread the word that foster homes are needed.
  • edited November -1
    I love the mound of mulch...
  • edited November -1
    ARGH I am so annoyed we missed another LI meetup!! That's why I joined meetup, not for the NYC meetups but the LI ones...they just look so much more fun! And the pics are really good! :-(
  • edited November -1
    What a nice park - LOVE all the pics!!

Oh Lucy Rose - she looks much happier! I'm glad she's coming around!
  • edited November -1
    Poor Tikaani, banished to the large dog side! Although, it looked like he still managed to have some fun.

It really looks like everyone had a great time. Makes me wish there were some Shiba owners near me for a meet up. :)
  • edited November -1
    When is the next meet up? i like to bring bingo there to meet some new friends. The park looks really nice and i'm sure he'll like it.
  • edited November -1
    We haven't decided on another date yet, and thanks to LJ's advice we are looking to make this next meet up indoors as the temps just keep rising. Phong Lee, I didn't realize you lived on long island.
This discussion has been closed.