info about shibas

edited June 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
hey, so i've never had a shiba inu before but i want to adopt sometime soon. it seems that shibas have special quirks that i should know about? can you guys help explain?

Comments

• edited November -1
    What do you mean by 'special quirks'? Like those things about shibas as compared to ____ ?
  • edited June 2009
    ummm... idk... but a lot of people (like, on petfinder and stuff) won't let people adopt shibas unless they've already had one and know the breed. is there any... like... special things i have to do for them? i mean, if there's nothing... then... sorry.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm glad you've been checking out Petfinder. It gives you a really good feel for how the breed (shiba) has taken off in popularity, and suffered because of it.

Do you have any experience with dogs?
    Or cats?

Shibas are more than a unique looking dog or a cute puppie.
    Have you ever watched huskies play? Or chow chows? Or even Shar Pei?
    They are said to be 'primitive' meaning their history is rich in tradition of their country of origin, so their bloodlines/DNA can be traced back to very ancient dog types from their country of origin. This also creates a breed of dog that is unlike most family pets (think Labrador or beagle) and therefore is often, tragically, misunderstood.
    Most think because they are small and very cute that you just have to own it and play with it when you feel like it, but this is creating a whole branch of shibas that are unstable with aggression issues, low thresholds and high reactivity. They require SO MUCH socialization because they are a primitive breed (independent in nature), to be able to successfully fit into our world, we need to take great care to get them out and about an acclimated with the sights, sounds, other dogs, people, etc. of our every day.
    I think shibas exhibit a lot of Japanese tradition - I think you will find that when you immerse yourself in the society on your trip and have the opportunity to compare the experience to that of owning a Shiba Inu.

They have a certain play style that most new dog owners would assume is fighting. Most spitz (the type of dog a shiba is) like to play with other spitz, because of the similar play style)

They have a double coat that requires diligent brushing and daily upkeep during the seasons where the dog blows its coat.

They have a very pure prey drive that requires they stay ON LEASH at ALL TIMES in unfenced areas (though, shibas are know to jump/climb/dig around fence blockages).
    They can and will catch and kill small animals.

They aren't big in the barking department, another attribute that is often a surprise to new owners, but they have a wide range of vocalizations - like grumbling, growling, screaming, whining, howling, yipping..

They tend to have food sensitivities and allergies that require finding certain foods beyond what grocery stores sell.

They are a great size, we get that comment a lot "what a perfect size" followed up with "are they easy to own". Yes, and no. Yes because I am used to them, but no because it took a lot of learning on my behalf to get there. They are energetic, and require physical, mental and emotional stimulation DAILY. This isn't just being in the backyard, this is walking and smelling and exploring and training. Daily (walking, twice daily minimum).

They aren't big in the cuddle department, they do not necessarily want to be your shadow, and it may take bribery to even get them to sit by you for a moment or two... but they show their affection in many unique ways. My male will rub all over my legs like a cat when I get home from work, my female will lick my hand then run around the apartment doing her "zoomies". Thats how I know they love me. Very different from what most people expect from a dog.

They are fiercely intelligent and contemplative. People jokingly refer to "shiba mind control" because they are thinkers and fast learners. You need to be willing to take on that challenge and train yourself to be a team with your dog. They are sensitive and do NOT respond well at ALL to traditional/harsh training methods (think Cesar Millan style... its a no no).

They are a very rewarding breed. But, you have to understand WHAT it means to live with a shiba, and accept what they are... there are 500+ dog breeds out there, bred for very distinct reasons. A shiba is certainly NOT for everyone - and thats OK!

**I also think that you should look on meetup.com for a Shiba Inu meetup near you to go and observe and ask questions of those who own them. That is the BEST preparation!
  • edited November -1
    I second what Jen said, very good description! ~
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks Osy, after 2 years of ownership and 6 shibas later, I'm starting to feel like I know them enough to get honest, first hand info out there that can help others decide if this is a breed of dog they can enjoy owning, or just enjoy looking at!

OP:
    ** Also, this website is overflowing with great, first hand info. Take time to browse the different catagories! You will learn a lot!
  • edited June 2009
    OMG thank you SO much for all your information. i'll print this out and hang it on the refrigerator, because i want a shiba inu more than anything else. thankyouthankyouthankyou! i'll see if i can arrange to meet a shiba sometime after my trip and watch how they interact, etc. and, yes, i'll take time to look through everything about shiba inus and learn as much as possible.
    oh, and i don't have any experience with dogs, but i do have experience with cats. we have 2 right now, and we had one who passed away 3 years ago.
  • edited November -1
    My Tetsu, I love him and to me he's the perfect dog...but many people who don't understand the shiba personality can think otherwise. For one, Tetsu can be very vocal when he plays and many people tend to think that he is being vicious (thus another reason why I take him to the big dog side of the dog park, big dog people find it more funny than small dog people). He loves to wrestle and chase, especially with his "brother" Tikaani; and when they go at it many people will try to break them up thinking that they are fighting.

Tetsu is quite a sneaky fellow, and a thief. He has learned that the dinning/kitchen table can have food, and will take every opportunity to check. He has taught many family members to push in their chairs and clean off the table. If there is something they really want, nothing will stop them from getting to it. I feed my cat in the closet, of which I baby gated with a passage for her to get through. Tetsu found the passage. I place other objects in the way that I thought only the cat can climb. He made his own path around everything and discovered a 'hidden passage' that I didn't know about. I close off the passage, thus making it difficult for even the cat to get in the closet. He knocked some things over to make it easier to climb the gate. Eventually I stopped feeding my cat in the closet and set up a box with a hole so that she can paw out food. He shadows her and steals fallen tidbits, but at least he doesn't eat all the food.

He isn't much of a cuddler, but he greets with exuberance and plenty of kisses.

Shibas have a tendency to be stranger shy, and Tetsu does show that at times with strange men (especially the bearded kind). Don't expect them to go up to your 4yr old niece/nephew and play like they are best buddies. Without proper exposure, they just want nothing to do with kids. Tetsu can handle greeting them, but once they start moving he wants nothing to do with them.

Expect many people to come up to you and ask what type of dog he is. They will in turn mispronounce the name or may give you a story of how they (or someone they know) has always wanted one. Also expect some people to act like they know everything about the breed and tell you you're wrong or you have a terrible example of the breed (one woman yelled at me saying that shibas don't come in black and tan, and that Tetsu is obviously a shepherd mix).

Off leash for this breed sucks, and even in a fenced in area they are still a pain to capture. Once Tetsu is out and loose, he's practically gone. Once something catches his attention, be prepared to see some pigs fly before he listens to the screams and calls.

All in all, like what Jen said, a shiba isn't for everyone. What may help more than us listing their 'quirks' is spending some time with someone else's shiba for a little bit. Get to experience first hand what they are like.
  • edited November -1
    ok, thank you! haha i was laughing at how you had to go through so much trouble for your cat food. XD ok, so i'll put that on my priority list after i come back from my trip to japan: meet a shiba inu! thank you so much for your funny stories and helpful advice!
  • edited November -1
    I don't own a shiba just yet tomarrow I'll be owned by one so I'll let you know from my experiance.

Here's two books I enjoyed reading both have alot of good information and pictures also the Andrew De Prisco one has a little information on shikoku, akita, jindo, and hokkaido not much since it's a shiba inu book, but I found it interesting.

Shiba Inu (Kennel Club Dog Breed Series) by Andrew De Prisco
    http://www.amazon.com/Shiba-Inu-Kennel-Club-Breed/dp/1593782764/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246159054&sr=8-1

Shiba Inus (Complete Pet Owner's Manual) by Laura Payton
    http://www.amazon.com/Shiba-Inus-Complete-Owners-Manual/dp/0764123777/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246159054&sr=8-2

I've also barrowed Product Details

I barrowed a book called Japanese Dogs: Akita, Shiba, and Other Breeds from the library it was very nice had nice pictures and information on each breed maybe your library would have this book too? it's kinda pricey used on amazon.

There's many shiba inu blogs out there which can be good to read I hope you find what your looking for and I'm glad your researching the breed before getting one. =)
  • edited November -1
    I have both those books. Very helpful. I agree with everything that Jen said. My advice is do your research, we researched for almost two years, and waited about a year to find our perfect dog. Make sure you get to meet them in person. Be honest with yourself. Can you handle a shiba in your life for the next 15 years? Get them because you understand what kind of dog they are and love them for it, don't get dissapointed when the don't follow you around like a golden. Katsu isn't overly cuddly, she shows her affection in her own way. She'll ignore you for an hour but when she comes over and lays down on you foot it's her way of saying I love you. If you do all this and still want one do your research on where your going to get them from. If your not going to rescue, find a reputable breeder. A shiba isn't for anyone. Everyday is a learning experience and a trial. But if everything works out, you won't find a better dog in all the world.
  • edited November -1
    Can I ask you a question, frushigma?

I haven't played nintendogs... how are shibas portrayed in that game?
  • edited June 2009
    Jen - All the pups, I think, regardless of breed are portayed the same. [ except for differences in coat when you clean them...long / short ] There's really no difference in AI between them. They're meant to look like innocent cute pups. ;p ~
  • edited June 2009
    I usually tell people that ask questions about the ease of ownership is that the learning curve is very steep. It takes a long time to understand their personality and their needs, and you could (and many people do) cause a lot of damage while you try and figure them out.
  • edited November -1
    First & foremost, you are doing great in researching the breed. Jen spelled things out really nicely about shibas...and that's without taking breeding into the mix. When you get a chance to go to a meetup, you'll be struck by how alike and how different these dogs are. The longer Jazz is in my life the more I see how similar she is to my friends' shibas - there seem to be some common things like the zoomies, the licking, the mind-control, but then you'll find some of us have shibas that prefer to be held or really like to snuggle vs. those who make their humans work for their affections. Once you are sure that the shiba is the dog for you, you'll have to make the decision of rescue or breeder. I have seen good & bad on both sides. The key is to spend time with the dog and make sure that you guys fit. I wish you much luck on this journey.
  • edited November -1
    "I usually tell people that ask questions about the ease of ownership is that the learning curve is very steep. It takes a long time to understand their personality and their needs, and you could (and many people do) cause a lot of damage while you try and figure them out."

Very, very true!
  • edited June 2009
    Our super and his kids thought they were ready for another dog, since their dog had just passed, saw Shao New a few times, played with her and thought "she's pretty awesome, we'll look into a Shiba Inu". So we all decided it was good for their daughter to start walking her here and there so she can truly become familiar with the breed (and good socialization for the pup)...well, they now know what we're talking about, that Shibas are "special"...she ain't no lap dog ;-) They are now looking into other breeds lol...at least they're honest about what they can handle on a daily basis, and Shibas are not it...this coming from a family that loves dogs and have the experience of owning one for 16 years.

Above mentioned are all very true Frushigma, and remember, Shibas are really cute and compact, but are a bundle of energy (physically and mentally) that needs to be addressed daily. Perhaps you should do as my super's family did, and meet a Shiba, take it out for a few walks, offer to puppy sit for an hour or two, and see if you can really handle it for not just an hour but 24 hours, everyday, for 15 years or so.

That being said, have a great time in Japan, and there is an awesome Kobe beef place in Ginza, if you're so inclined.. I'll have to dig up the pictures to get you the name :)
  • edited November -1
    The following comment by tsukisune drew my attention.
    >>They have a certain play style that most new dog owners would assume is fighting.

I have witnessed my Takumi played with other dogs in the same manner as tsukitsune describes. It seemed a little aggressive to me and his face looked serious. I pay close attention to him when he behaves that way, but I've never experienced that it got something serious so far. One thing he hates for sure is when he is humped by othre dog.
  • edited November -1
    A lot of great information here.....I was one of those people who bought my Shiba because he was a great looking dog. He is my families first dog and I should have looked into the breed a little closer before we got him.

Fortunately, we love him and he is a great dog......but I would say he's a bit "cat like" and very intellegent. This frustrates my wife a bit because she expects the dog to be like most other dogs..... He'll let you pet and play with him and he will cuddle but it's on his terms....lol.....

Steve
  • edited July 2009
    One quirk of a shiba is the shiba yodal, shiba scream, and their many vocalizations here's a youtube video of a shiba inu getting a bath I guess they are really like cats. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4JOxB6SJSI&feature=related

I just watched it all and at the end is pretty sad they had to torture the poor thing with a bath is bad enough but a pool come on I guess that shiba will do some major venge pooping. lol
  • edited July 2009
    OMG thank you for all the information! i just got back from japan (and it was amazing) yesterday and found a ton of stuff here! thank you! but yeah, my mom's friend works in the dog show business and knows a shiba breeder, so i'm gonna arrange a day so then i can play with them, talk to the breeder about all the things all you guys mentioned and ask about adoption and stuff. but thank you so much! and i think i'd be able to handle all the energy of a shiba just because i would do anything for one, you know? once again, thanks.
    oh yeah and the shiba inu/ nintendogs thing that Sangmort said i think is pretty true. they all seem to be the same.
This discussion has been closed.