Meeka (was Nanook)

edited June 2009 in Other Breeds
Some of you might remember that we almost adopted a little JRT puppy a while ago, then my sister and her family adopted her. A little over a week ago, my sister told me they were having a lot of problems with Meeka, mainly that she was too exuberant around the kids, jumping in their faces and biting their clothes. Pretty typical stuff, really. Also, she was barking a lot and chewing on everything.

So, I took her for a few days to see how she was. I didn't have any problems with her, so I said I'd come over and see her at her house, and she was perfectly behaved and has been ever since. My sister says she's a whole new dog, she's never been so calm, and she hasn't been causing any trouble.

The weird thing is, I wish I could take credit, but I didn't really do anything. If anything, I'd say that my dogs helped a lot, because they naturally corrected her when she jumped in their faces and I think she copied some of their behaviour, like not getting out of control barking. Hanna said that once Meeka got started barking, that she just couldn't be stopped, but at my place, I let the dogs bark a couple times, then they know they have to stop and move on, so Meeka just seemed to take cues from them. Now that she's back home, she hardly barks at all. She notices things, perks up, maybe barks once or twice if someone's at the door, but other than that, she's fine.

I'm really glad that things have worked out so well. Meeka's been home for over a week and apparently, she's still acting like a perfect angel. I taught my nephews how to say "leave me alone" in doggie language (arms behind the back, head turned away). I told them to put her in her kennel for time-outs rather than outside (so that she calms down instead of just running around and barking). I said they should feed her from the tug-a-jug I lent them, and give her RMBs and stuffed kongs.

I'm kind of wondering how this happened, though, lol. Especially since Turk/Chester's owners say the exact same thing about him - he spent a week here and now he's a perfect angel. I didn't actively try to teach him anything, I just didn't let him jump up, I guess. Although my sister-in-law says he was knocking her kids down over and over and I never saw him do anything like that.

So apparently my house makes dogs behave well? That's good... I guess? Are the canine behaviour gods smiling on me?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hahah...I think it's because you keep your dogs under control with "the little things". So when doggie visitors come over, they learn not "too fuss" over them...a lot of times those little unwanted behaviors get LOTS of attention without a correction or their humans are just inconsistent with them. So there is no understaning of "the rules". When really, they should be given a firm, quick correction and then ignored. Also, since your pack already has established "house rules", I'm sure it transfers on to their guests...whether the doggie guest learns by watching or getting a correction from one of your dogs.

Or MAYBE...the dogs just get more exercise at your house -grins-. Ah, the simplity in life. lol, sometimes it can be a bit of a combination mix, dogs need balance!

And Heidi, OF COURSE, the canine behavior gods are smiling upon you -smiles-. That's why they keep sending you more dogs!
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Corina.. it doesn't really take much to keep healthy happy controlled dogs! Just walk um, train um, and love um up.
  • edited November -1
    I think that's a good point about correcting a behaviour and then just moving on. I see a lot of people get so agitated and exciting when trying to correct their dog that they just get worked up into a frenzy and the situation spirals out of control. That's pretty much the only advice I gave my sister, too. Actually, it makes me feel really helpless and out of control to yell commands over and over and beg the dog to do/not do this or that, so it's a little easier for me to follow that rule. Some people, I think, find it hard to not repeat themselves and get louder out of frustration.

About the exercise - I suspected it might be that, too, but on the day Meeka returned, she hadn't had much exercise at all, because I had to do a lot of driving around, so she'd been in her kennel most of the day. Although, for all the time before that, she was getting plenty of exercise! Nothing like a who-can-get-dirty-fastest contest with three other pups!

Either way, I think it mostly had to do with being in a pack with other dogs. I think dogs communicate more efficiently with one another than humans can with dogs, so I think they teach each other in a faster and more lasting way. I really like having three dogs, I don't think I would ever want to go back to less than three, and definitely not back to just one. I love watching them interact - it's my favourite thing!