Shiba Sugar High

edited June 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
This is bad and don't think that I'm not very concerned and monitoring this situation closely, but it's also, for the time being, rather amusing and I'm sure I neither the first nor the last dog owner to have to deal with this.

I was working diligently on some wirework when I got a little hungry. I knew my mother had brought me some yummy, soft oatmeal cookies and left them for me on the table. When I looked for them, I found something very different - paper wrapping on the floor and a wagging little thief of a Shiba doing a fabulous impression of a vacuum cleaner. She must have gotten into a chair and grabbed the cookies off the table because the weren't left on the edge. She definitely devoured four large cookies. I did know she had a taste for anything oatmeal related but I hadn't expected her to steal with me in such close proximity. She usually much sneakier. The last I'd seen of her, she was on the sofa upset that she was anywhere near the wire she detests. I scolded her and cleaned up the few crumbs and went on with my life.

Fast forward to now. Tosca is a maniac. She's been doing a strange version of the standard Shiba 500 - around the kitchen table, into the living room, around in a circle, onto the sofa, jump off the sofa, around the coffee table and into the bedroom, onto the bed, off of the bed, through the living room into the kitchen, repeat. The only reason I can see for this behavior is that my little baby is on a sugar high and I'm laughing at her.

The cookies were homemade and rather healthy as far as cookies go (no raisins), so I'm not too worried about accidental poisoning. I'm keeping an eye on her until this passes, but I'm relaxed enough to laugh. I thought the image of a sugar high Shiba might make you all laugh while stubly checking to see that all goodies are out of reach - a humorous public service announcement.

Comments

• edited November -1
    LOL. A Shiba on a sugar high is always amusing... until it is time for bed.

One night, I made the mistake of allowing Bella and Nola to have a bit of honey comb around 7:00 in the evening... (This was before I knew there was such a thing as a Shiba Sugar High.) Well, they ran around outside for over two hours in circles, non-stop. It was pretty funny to watch. Finally, I had to catch them and bring them inside. I ended up having to separate them to calm them down. It was after 11:00 before they were settled enough to go to sleep. Lesson learned, never give Shibas honey comb!
  • edited November -1
    OMG! hahahahah GREAT mental image! HAHAH
  • edited November -1
    LOLOL I've definitely witnessed something very similar. I once forgot a pack of Hubba Bubba Bubble gum (the gooey center kind) on the coffee table. I went into the office down the hall to work on something, and by the time I came back into the living room all that was left was a scrap of yellow wrapper... Mylo went Ape-S#!t! I've never seen him run and jump that much. Certainly a funny experience. He still tries everything he can to get to anything that smells like bubble-gum.

p.s. I'm glad there were no Raisins in your cookies =0). I think that's what made it entertaining rather than worrisome lol.
  • edited November -1
    Hehe. This reminds me of the time I brought mochi for my friend, and her tiny non-shiba managed to eat 3 while we were out. Poor guy was so chubby afterwards I don't think he could run off that sugar...but he did have stinky poo for a while.
This discussion has been closed.