Lost Shiba in Seattle- at The Rainbow Bridge

edited June 2009 in Rescue
Hi all, I am just so distraught after getting this e-mail. Candi is a retired, recently spayed show girl who was recently placed in a wonderful home. She still has a shaved tummy and arm. Her lead snap broke and she bolted while on a walk, but thankfully is wearing her collar and is chipped. Anybody in the Seattle area, please keep an eye out. Call the numbers in this flyer or contact Leslie Engen of San Jo Shiba Inu if you see her. We are all so worried for her. Animal control has been contacted, I have called some vet offices, and flyers have been faxed.

"PLEASE HELP US - Candi bolted when her leash broke!

Female SHIBA INU Red/White

Shilshole bike/walking trail – north to Golden Gardens
She headed up the hill toward the dog park. Candi knows the Sunset Hill residential area and the Locks area as well as Shilshole.

Please call if you see/find her.
Dan at 206 498-6449 or
Fro at 206 914-7019
Sunset Hill Veterinary and Rehabilitation at 206 706-7800

She is very shy and will not likely come to anyone easily.

She was wearing her turquoise colored limited choke collar with ID tag (she might lose that in the woods) and can also be identified by her shaved tummy from recent spaying two months ago."

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh goodness. :(

I hope she is found quickly!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Oh how upsetting.....I hope she finds her way back home! Does she have any shiba buddies that can go on a search for her on lead. Sometimes that helps if she has a bond with another dog.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Oh man I hope someone finds her and returns her safely.
  • edited November -1
    That's a great idea, I think she is an only girl though. I will mention it to her mom and dad, maybe Ike will be called to action!
  • edited November -1
    Best of luck to Candi being reunited with her new family.
  • edited June 2009
    I will certainly keep my eyes peeled and will also keep a close eye on craigslist incase someone tries any funny business.
    Also, I would suggest they post her on there as well...I've known many people who have found their lost pet through CL.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys. No luck yet :( Poor girl must be terrified, either that or really having a great time while on the lamb.
  • edited November -1
    My brother lives in Seattle and I e-mailed this to him and had him forward it to all his friends. I hope she is found!! :(
  • edited November -1
    I'd go with great time... whenever my shibas get out they are like l-i-v-i-n until we catch them!

I cross posted on dogster's shiba forum, there are a lot of members in various places there
  • edited November -1
    Thanks! Great idea. I suggested a pet detective to the owners. No word yet :(
  • edited November -1
    You know what... it sounds far fetched, but there was recently a story about a couple whose lost chihuahua was recovered after a tip from a pet psychic.
    I know if it were my dog, I'd exhaust every single option..
  • edited November -1
    Definately, I would never give up either. I didn't think of a pet psychic.
  • edited November -1
    What about hiring scent-hounds? I once saw a show (TDW or IMOTD) of blood-hound owners making a business of finding lost things with their blood hounds.

Jesse
  • edited June 2009
    Believe it or not, my childhood dog was kidnapped once! We found him months later alive in another country! (I lived in Europe then)
    We even hired a detective, my dad drove everywhere, it was CRAZY. BUT, we found him eventually and my dad drove there to pick him up. All he had to do was call our dog's name by the kidnapper's door and he came RUNNING :D
    Really hope the shiba is found soon and brought back home...
  • edited November -1
    Lucky for this dog, she is one of a kind and will be instantly recognizeable.....any word yet lindsay???
  • edited November -1
    Fearing a bad outcome. She has not yet been recovered.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi everyone, I am frankly crying while I type this. I just learned that Candi was hit and killed by a train, so she is no longer missing. I'm very sad for everyone that got to share the last 9 years with this amazing girl. I wish I could have had more chances to meet her. She is now chasing squirrels with all her little Shiba buddies over the bridge, no cares or worries. I just hope she wasn't frightened. This tragic event has made me extremely aware of leash safety with my 2 Shiba. Please, check all your lead bolts and clasps and use the correctly sized leads.
  • edited November -1
    Poor babe. Rest in peace <3 ~
  • edited November -1
    I'm so sorry..
  • edited November -1
    Oh, poor Candi! I hope she didn't suffer any pain. I'm so sorry this happened...
  • edited November -1
    Oh gosh I am so sorry to hear this. I know no words can ease the situation. May she rest in peace.

Snf

From experience we have found it is good to have standby leashes and extra collars. Like horse tack quality does make a difference in safety and duration. Good equipment can last you a long time.

In the past have had a problems where the dog seems to magically become separated from the lead. In actuality the spring/bolt snap clip often becomes snared within the d-ring on the collar because the collar ring is larger than the spring clip on the leash. Basically the leash clip ends up opening if the spring release gets caught in the ring. Make sure both products are matched size wise in terms of hardware. A dinky snap bolt/spring does not really cut it.

Alternatively, we have found for our needs and the more active dogs a marine gate clip works or lock-jaw clip when out and about.

http://www.lanyardsupply.com/hooks/schematic/marine-rope-snap-hooks-hm-200.htm
    https://www.uglydoghunting.com/cords.php
  • edited November -1
    Oh my....I'm am just so...there aren't words to express how saddened I am by this outcome...I know how many lives this little dog impacted and how those hearts are aching right now. :(

Hopefully, this tragedy will save the lives of other dogs in that we just learned a valuable lesson in leash care/maintenance...I know I will be checking my leads very carefully today and going forward....

RIP little Candi...enjoy those squirrels and all your little Shiba pals as you wait.....
  • edited November -1
    This has to be one of the saddest things I've read about in a while. Rest in peace Candi.